Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
March 27, 2005 - 7:30 PM (EST)

Philadelphia 76ers (34-34) Vs Los Angeles Lakers (32-36)

@Staples Center, Los Angeles, California

Aired on: Comcast Sportsnet - Philadelphia, ESPN, FoxSports Net
Radio simulcast: 610 WIP, KLAC-AM 570, KWKW-AM 1330

Projected Starting Lineups:

Season Series: Sixers lead series 1-0.

The first game of the Sixers three game road trip begins on Easter Sunday in LA. With how the Lakers are playing as of late, and how thoroughly we beat them with Odom, this is a game we can take.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
With the Lakers slumping lately and us playing well I am pretty confident in our team winning.

Jumaine Jones is another three point shooter and Webber might have trouble defending him like he did with Marshall.

·
Wrong About Everything
13,525 Posts
Kunlun said:
With the Lakers slumping lately and us playing well I am pretty confident in our team winning.

Jumaine Jones is another three point shooter and Webber might have trouble defending him like he did with Marshall.
Jones is a SF.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
sliccat said:
Jones is a SF.
Well, I was looking at the starting lineups PhillyPhanatic gave and Jones is starting so I assumed we might have trouble with him in the lineup against us.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sliccat said:
Jones is a SF.
Jones is forced to play some PF with Lamar Odom out with an injury.

I don't envision us having as much trouble with Jones as we have had with Marshall, actually having him out there would make it easier for us to go with a smaller lineup at points.

·
Wrong About Everything
13,525 Posts
PhillyPhanatic said:
Jones is forced to play some PF with Lamar Odom out with an injury.

I don't envision us having as much trouble with Jones as we have had with Marshall, actually having him out there would make it easier for us to go with a smaller lineup at points.
If it does come down to Jones and webber, I'm not worried about it. Webber can just press the 3, and make Jones drive past him to either pull up for a mid range shot, or go into Dalembert. plus, if Obie has half a brain, he'll just have webber post him up.

I'm just glad I get to watch the game.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sliccat said:
I'm just glad I get to watch the game.
Giving you a heads up, in case you didn't already know the Sixers have a few more national televised games left in the season.. Celtics (Apr. 3 - ABC), Wizards (Apr. 9 - NBATV), Celtics (Apr. 12 - NBATV), Heat (Apr. 14. - TNT), Nets (Apr. 17 - NBATV).

Not sure if you have NBATV or not, so I listed them just in case.

·
Registered
656 Posts
One of the best things about this Webber trade is the added amount of national exposure. It's so nice to be able to watch the SIxers play when I'm at college in VA. I got spoiled growing up watching every game on Comcast back home :D

·
Wrong About Everything
13,525 Posts
SixersFan said:
One of the best things about this Webber trade is the added amount of national exposure. It's so nice to be able to watch the SIxers play when I'm at college in VA. I got spoiled growing up watching every game on Comcast back home :D
What college are you at?

Giving you a heads up, in case you didn't already know the Sixers have a few more national televised games left in the season.. Celtics (Apr. 3 - ABC), Wizards (Apr. 9 - NBATV), Celtics (Apr. 12 - NBATV), Heat (Apr. 14. - TNT), Nets (Apr. 17 - NBATV).
I don't, cause of my broke *** parents :biggrin:. But I've already memorized every TV game, and tatooed them on my forehead. Thanks anyways.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Odom unlikely..
Lamar Odom, the Los Angeles Lakers' second-leading scorer, will probably miss his fourth straight game Sunday against the Philadelphia 76ers because of a slight tear and bruised rotator cuff in his left shoulder.

Lakers spokesman John Black said Friday that Odom will be examined before the game, but is unlikely to play.
LINK

This is the best it's been for the Philadelphia 76ers since Chris Webber joined the mix.

This is the worst it's been for the Los Angeles Lakers since Kobe Bryant came along.

One team that has fallen out of the playoff picture and another that is right in the thick of it will square off when the Lakers, riding their worst losing streak since Bryant was a high school freshman, host the surging 76ers.

Los Angeles has lost seven in a row, its longest skid since dropping its final 10 games of the 1993-94 season. That's also the last time the franchise failed to make the postseason, and was three years before Bryant became a Laker.

Now it appears the superstar guard, in his first season not playing alongside Shaquille O'Neal, won't make the playoffs for the first time in his NBA career. Thursday's 117-96 loss to Denver dropped the Lakers 5{ games behind the Nuggets for the eighth and final postseason berth in the Western Conference with 14 games remaining.

Bryant was held to 18 points and committed six turnovers in that defeat, and sounded afterward as if he knew Los Angeles would be relegated to looking toward the future.

``It's frustrating for me because I've played on teams where everybody knew the depths of the offense,'' he said. ``At the same time, we have to be patient. We're a young team and even though it may not pay off this year, it may pay off the following year.''

Getting Webber at the trade deadline may pay off this season for Philadelphia.

His struggles, and a reported feud with coach Jim O'Brien, following his acquisition from Sacramento had many 76ers fans wondering if the team had made a big mistake. Finally, Webber, O'Brien and Allen Iverson appear to be on the same page.

The Sixers have won four of five _ the only loss came with Webber sidelined by a leg injury _ to take a firm grip on eighth place in the East. A win in this contest would push Philadelphia above .500 for the first time since it was 4-3 on Nov. 14.

``I just think it's a whole new team, it's kind of like we're in training camp,'' Webber said. ``Coach has changed some of the things, I'm getting used to playing their way. I thought it would be quicker, as long as it clicks before playoffs we'll be OK.''
LINK

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also wanted to remind people who are interested you can bet your uCash points on this game http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/showthread.php?t=153023

I was a little over zealous last time, and we ended up not covering, but this time with the Lakers being home and being two point favorites, I like our chances at covering.. especially since I think this is a win.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sliccat said:
I don't, cause of my broke *** parents :biggrin:. But I've already memorized every TV game, and tatooed them on my forehead. Thanks anyways.
Ah, okay, I didn't know because some systems carry it on a basic package others don't. Oh and of the games I listed there's another, ESPN just added Sixers Vs Suns to their schedule for Wednesday night, so people will be able to see that too. :biggrin:

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
I want to know when the last time we won at the Lakers' homecourt was. I know we have each split the series with home wins the past four seasons so it's been a while.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kunlun said:
I want to know when the last time we won at the Lakers' homecourt was. I know we have each split the series with home wins the past four seasons so it's been a while.
Last time period, was game one of the 2001 Finals.

Last time we won in the regular season was January 4th, 1998. I couldn't remember it so I had to look it up on basketballreference.com, here's the link to the box score:

http://basketballreference.com/teams/boxscore.htm?yr=1997&b=19980104&tm=LAL

·
Queensbridge
1,936 Posts
This should be a great game! Not only will I be able to watch it (I'm a Laker fan, and also love the Sixers because of AI and never miss a chance to show love for my fellow Haitian, the only one in the NBA, Samuel Dalembert).

The interesting this, the Sixers are finally starting to push for the playoffs and Webber seems to be getting in his comfort zone, but I still think that despite all of LA's struggles, they'll find a way to make it a very tough game. Caron Butler usually is a much better player at the Staples Center, as is Chris Mihm.

Lamar Odom is probably out, too. Good luck, either way, I'll probably enjoy the game and be happy about it all.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tough decision for me..

Zumoff and Mix or the ESPN coverage? Eh.. might go with ESPN since I can just watch Comcast's coverage later anyway.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts