1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charlotte

vs

Rhode Island

Records: Charlotte (13-2, 1-0 A 10) / Rhode Island (5-9, 0-1 A 10)
Game Time: 2PM EST
TV: Cox Sports
Radio: Charlotte ESPN 730 AM & WLON 1050 AM / Rhode Island 101.5 FM
Websites: Charlotte / Rhode Island

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
URI will play a slow grind it out game and will make you execute your half court offense. Our record is misleading to be honest. Also we've seen it already this year winning on the road is tough. I think it will be a good games

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Especially with it being a road game, URI could definitely pull it off (after playing Richmond tight on their home court). The Niners also shoot poorly from outside, and URI apparently can play pretty good defense. This will probably be a close one, even if I think the Niners are a better team right now and should win.

Actually, I know it will be a close one if the Niners win because the Niners seem to play every team they beat close, no matter how good or bad they are.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
URI typically runs man to man but has also played zone defense, URI's biggest weakness is the interior. We have one player that is ok defense with no offense (Brooks), one who is okay at both ends but is incredibly athletic (Hare) and our best down low player is probably Aaman who is big and works hard but not necessarily the most athletic player.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Charlotte opens as a 3 point favorite

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I'm surprised more zone wasn't used by La Salle, however you could tell their guys weren't comfortable with that set on defense. Hopefully Braswell can get on track tomorrow, he's been inconsistent to this point.
It was pretty clear they hadn't worked on it as much as their man-to-man pressure D. Guys weren't taking good position as the ball swung around. But even then, I'm surprised they didn't throw it out there during the big first half run just to see if it would throw us off.

Every team in the conference should start out in a zone against Charlotte until the Niners prove they can beat it.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
URI typically plays man and goes to zone in certain situations typically against 2 big men

·
Registered
108 Posts
URI typically plays man and goes to zone in certain situations typically against 2 big men
Charlotte does not have a ton of height, but they have quite a few that like to mix it up under the basket (4 play inside). And 3 of the 5 guards are slashers.

As a result, guessing there will be alot of packed in zone or soft man played by URI.

Also guessing this is going to be the ugliest game of the weekend...for all Div 1 games.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Both teams in the 50s with shooting percentage around 40% is how URI is used to playing

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Typically not I will post a link if I see one

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
31-30 URI leads at the half, URI started well leading by as many as 8 before both teams struggled to and the half

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Niners win 58-50. Clayton dunked it at the buzzer, Hurley wasn't too happy about that. Not the only thing he wasn't happy about today though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It was an ugly game, but ugly games seem to favor us this year. Nice Rams arena but either the weather was really pretty up there, something else big was going on, or people just do not care about the Rams. Too bad. I have a feeling Hurley will have them playing well in the next couple of years.

Let's get ready for Fordham.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
It was an ugly game, but ugly games seem to favor us this year. Nice Rams arena but either the weather was really pretty up there, something else big was going on, or people just do not care about the Rams. Too bad. I have a feeling Hurley will have them playing well in the next couple of years.

Let's get ready for Fordham.
It was actually unseasonably warm in RI today at about 50 degrees.

When you enter the game at 5-9 and are coming off a 7-24 season, it is hard to get excited. This team plays hard but doesn't have a lot of talent. Fans will return next season when Hurley has more pieces in place. This is a bridge year that most want to get through as fast as possible.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts