1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fordham

vs

Charlotte

Records: Fordham (5-12, 1-1 A 10) / Charlotte (14-2, 2-0 A 10)
Game time: 7:30PM EST
TV: None
Radio: Fordham 90.7 WFUV / Charlotte ESPN 730 AM & WLON 1050 AM

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I don't think we have ever won @Charlotte. Our women were in the same boat before Sunday, but they changed that, so hopefully some of their good fortune carries over to the men's team.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Gaston usually has a big game against the Niners (or at least seems to). I imagine he'll score some points. I imagine Fordham will play a lot of zone in this game, but that will expose the team for offensive rebounds. Probably worth it though, unless Mayfield continues to hit from outside at an ok clip (early season he was awful shooting 3's, but has been better lately).

In past years, I'd be more concerned about this game, but this year's team seems to take care of business. That said, the Niners haven't blown many teams out even with the weak schedule, so eventually you have to think this habit of letting teams hang around will bite them. I'd guess Fordham will hang around long enough to make it interesting as they seem to be playing somewhat better with Gaston back.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Unfortunately, Fordham's bigs are learning on the job, and seem to get into foul trouble. And they only run 3 deep down low. Additionally, the guards are undersized, and alot of times use three undersized guards at the same time. And the team does not run very deep, with starters sometimes needing to put in over 30 minutes a game. And if in zone, packing in, Charlotte (i.e., JT, Clark, Clayton, and even Mayfield) may live on the glass.

Fordham may be turning the corner with a new coach. But right now, Charlotte should wear them down.

My one worry is Charlotte taking Fordham lightly, and not playing with the intensity needed for an A-10 game (any A-10 team, no matter who, is dangerous).

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
We play 4 bigs regularly, though if Gaston manages to stay out of foul trouble he'll play between 35-40 minutes. Our other bigs do tend to get into foul trouble, so in that sense the zone might help. It certainly could make rebounding more difficult, but we have rebounded well most of the season.

We basically use 3 undersized guards at all times. Our tallest guard is 6'4" and he is seeing less than 10 minutes a game. We have not played 3 forwards at once all season.

Hard to say we are turning the corner even if we looked ok against UMass and beat Duquesne and saying we have a new coach is a bit kind. Pecora is in his 3rd year and has played you guys competitively, but never beaten you.

Charlotte has good reason to take this game lightly given our road record under Pecora is something around 3-34 away from RHG. That said, I agree that it is dangerous to take us too lightly.

I expect Charlotte to walk away with this one.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Charlotte's first year in the A10, the game was nationally televised I think. Fordham still had Dunston and some other good players, and Charlotte had clearly the 2nd best team in the league (and what many thought might be the best team prior to the season). Charlotte won that game, but it was surprisingly close and Fordham led late in the game. Charlotte finished 2nd that year, and Fordham finished tied for 5th.

I remembered that Fordham team being decent, so I was a little bummed to see them struggle so much 2 years later (I happened to be in DC and was given tickets to see them play Georgetown, not a very good game at all).

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I believe we finished tied for 4th that season. That nationally televised game you mention was awesome and I say that despite the fact we lost. The Rose Hill Gym was electric that day.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Charlotte is giving 14 points in this one. I think that is very high. I would take Fordham and the points.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Coach Major used those big leads to experiment with lineups and different sets that resulted in big leads being cut. I'm not sure if he will do the same in conference play but I would still be hesitant to bet on the Niners minus 14.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
This is one ugly game. Niners seem to play at the level of the competition, though Fordham does seem to be playing decent defense and rebounding.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Well, the Niners won I guess. Not a pretty game in any way. Fordham with a game effort, outrebounded the Niners by 12! Also gave the blueprint to other teams with how to defend the Niners (simple, packed-in, 2-3 zone). Frazier scored a lot of points, but made several really bad decisions late in the game. Can't believe Gaston only scored 3, but it still seems like you go to him late in the game to see what he can do rather than jack up bad 3's. Niners were only marginally better. Hope they play better Saturday at Richmond.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Can't believe Gaston only scored 3, but it still seems like you go to him late in the game to see what he can do rather than jack up bad 3's. Niners were only marginally better. Hope they play better Saturday at Richmond.
I don't think Gaston is 100% from his knee surgery. Just does not seem himself the last few games. That and Charlotte did a really good job on him.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Really Enjoyed watching Fordham. Even though Gaston didn't have a great game, he was fighting, rebounding, and playing hard out there. Fordham is going to send a few teams packing this year, who think they will have a sure fire win against the Rams.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts