1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fordham

vs

Dayton

Records: Fordham (5-13, 1-2 A 10) / Dayton (10-7, 0-3 A 10)
Game time: 7:00PM EST
TV: WHIO TV 7 Dayton
Radio: Fordham 90.7 WFUV / Dayton 95.7 FM 1290 AM

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Flyers haven't lost to Fordham at home since 1953. It's only been 12 games since that time, but it is still something. Of course, with this years Flyers (and Fordham Rams), maybe it's time to break that streak.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Have your student section bring a whole bunch of pictures of the Presidents since 1953.

Or, see if the XUPopes are available if they didn't make the trek to Charlotte.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Fordham is too unpredictable when it comes to point spreads, much more predictable when it comes to the outcome. Up until the Charlotte game they had been fairly predictable on the road, most often getting blown out. Both teams had a week off to prepare. If Fordham can hang in there or take an early lead, Dayton might get a little tight as they could be facing an 0-4 start. I'd like to see Fordham feed the bigs and challenge Dayton's interior defense.

If Dayton comes out strong early, Fordham might fold, though this team has shown more fight than recent versions.

One big variable is that Gaston has been hampered by his knee and was going to be reevaluated by the doctors. Last I heard he was a gametime decision.

·
Registered
598 Posts
You'll have that "pressure" thing going for you, that's for sure.
That's crazy, right Paul? A fan of a college basketball team that is not Dayton acknowledged that these are 20 year old human beings who might be influenced by a variety of pressures that are not present within the lines of a basketball court. You are not clever.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Hey, it's a message board. Lighten up.
Of course there are pressures; everyone acknowledges that.
The general consensus is that there is more pressure on the road team, playing in a hostile environment.
Maybe your arena is the exception that proves the rule.
I'd like to think a team's hometown crowd provides positive support...not negative influence.
This year you might break the streak; it's long overdue. But I feel confident that the support at the Cintas will be a positive one. If ever there was a place, and game, that would fit your criteria, that would be it. Can't imagine the pressure to maintain the streak. But I think the support will be positive.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I should lighten up, you should let it go. It wasn't a groundbreaking comment. Also, I never said that UD has MORE pressure on it than the road team, which you post suggests. And nobody made any reference to the pressure of UD arena on this thread. In fact, no one ever makes any reference to it (seemingly the appropriate course of action) except you and a select few Xavier punks on here that aren't clever enough to come up with a new insult.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I think there might be more comments here by Xavier fans than Dayton fans. Off to check Xavier game thread to see how the numbers stack up there.

·
Banned
335 Posts
Just looking at some KenPom data. Ill put in in the La Salle vs Butler thread. but its really interesting. Dayton and La Salle are basically the exact same team other than Dayton is one of the unluckiest teams in the country.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
This is seemingly one of those nothing good can happen game for UD. Win comfortably, and people will say you're playing at home against the arguably worst team in the conference, its to be expected. Win a close game and fans will be second guessing the wram-up music, the uniforms Miller and the players. Lose, and its play the walk-ons and bring back Donoher.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
This is seemingly one of those nothing good can happen game for UD. Win comfortably, and people will say you're playing at home against the arguably worst team in the conference, its to be expected. Win a close game and fans will be second guessing the wram-up music, the uniforms Miller and the players. Lose, and its play the walk-ons and bring back Donoher.
I'm obviously a little biased, but the fact that Fordham is 1-2 and played their two losses close makes me think that people won't be so quick to say you are expected to crush us. I see Fordham losing by 8 in this one, give or take 2.

I think even if Fordham wins there might be some people that say great win for Fordham on the road, but Dayton is now 0-4 and perhaps not very good. Not saying I expect that to happen though given that their current 0-3 is *very* deceptive.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I agree, Ace. Fordham has the one attribute that gives Dayton the most trouble: size. Not only do they have size, but they have talented size as Gaston has killed us in the past. A lesser Fordham team took what most would say is a better UD team to overtime just last season.

In no way to I expect this to be a walk in the park for Dayton. They will have to play tough to win.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I'm obviously a little biased, but the fact that Fordham is 1-2 and played their two losses close makes me think that people won't be so quick to say you are expected to crush us. I see Fordham losing by 8 in this one, give or take 2.

I think even if Fordham wins there might be some people that say great win for Fordham on the road, but Dayton is now 0-4 and perhaps not very good. Not saying I expect that to happen though given that their current 0-3 is *very* deceptive.
Well Ace & Cobra you may be right, but the odds in Las Vegas go from Dayton giving 10 points as the low and 17 as the high.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Well Ace & Cobra you may be right, but the odds in Las Vegas go from Dayton giving 10 points as the low and 17 as the high.
Indeed they do. Don't get me wrong, I would by no means be shocked if Fordham got blown out b/c we have been terrible on the road aside from the Charlotte game. All I am reallly saying is that if Fordham hangs tight, I do not think most people will knock Dayton as Fordham has been able to hang with two other good A10 programs, one of them on the road.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts