Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Resident Arachnid of the MPT
21,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will cobwebs jam the ancient weaponry of the revolutionaries or will the salticidae find themselves ambushed in New England?

·
Registered
606 Posts
I think most UMass fans are on edge, myself included. We need to win this game. Reasons to be optimistic include having a week to practice and prepare for situations in which Chaz is our only great dribbler on the floor. However, DK tends to make the wrong adjustment before he makes the right adjustment. Another positive sign is that Richmond is only 2-5 on the road, with two wins over really bad teams. However, 4 of the 5 losses were to very good teams, and the 5th was to a decent Ohio team. So maybe the jury is still out on where Richmond rates as a road team.

Really, I have no idea what's going to happen, except that both teams will probably have a chance to win in the final minutes.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
UR's road woes are mainly in the shooting category, but the Spiders have been vulnerable to giving up big runs in the 2nd half, and unable to answer offensively with buckets of their own and stop the bleeding. Turnovers are critical for UR, limiting them to 12 or under is vital, as many lead to easy hoops (whereas UR gets very few fastbreak/easy hoops).

Road games have played out as follows:
Minnesota - led by 7 with 9 minutes left, gave up a big run, didn't answer, lost.
Kansas - were dominated start to finish, never a game
Ohio - led at half, came out flat and gave up a big run, got run out of the gym by a barrage of 3s, never answered.
ODU - blew them out, ODU is awful.
JMU - came out flat, battled to win in OT. Shot lights out but so did JMU.
Butler - got crushed on boards, Butler in control whole game.
Lasalle - Kept it close in an ugly game, but their big guy Zack played well inside and UR never found its 3 point stroke.

If UR can build on the confidence of the last 2 home games and get its shooters going early - this is the key for UR - while avoiding being thoroughly dominated inside, it should be a game.

Road is tough in the A10 this year, so I expect UMass to win. They've got enough bigs to give UR trouble. UR has to hit 3s and limit turnovers, while dictating pace. Tall order.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Another A10 game, another grind. I'm not really even sure what we did to shut down Richmond in the final minutes. It seemed like they were making our press hurt us more than help us, and Robbins schooled our defenders for a few possessions, then suddenly I looked up and Richmond hadn't scored in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
freddie riley has gotten a lot of crap about his defense around here over 4 years but look at the job he did on brothers today. and played 40 minutes of pressing basketball.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
If I were a Spider fan I'd be thinking that was one that got away. I'm missing most of the action this season, but caught this one. I'm a huge Sampson Carter fan, but thought he stunk today. I go to the UMass site and see at least one guy singing his praises. Say what? I can't trust those guys to tell me what happened.

I took 2 positives away from this game, the play of Cady Lalane and Trey Davis. The rest of the Minutemen blow. Chaz is the second dumbest guy on the roster. Yes, he'll make the clutch plays, but if he didn't have his head up his arse 75% of the time he'd never have to make the clutch plays in the first place. He was a 1st team preseason pick, but I saw nothing that warrants even a 3rd team selection when it counts.

The dumbest, of course, is Putney. Were we actually making noise about the NBA with this guy last year? The most discouraging part was even after getting called for a couple of his brain-dead moves, he still didn't seem to get it. Who, me? Yes, you, you dumb phuck.

Sorry, it's tequila day at the Dance residence. I'm sure I'll regret this post later. But since we seem to have lost Snipe, somebody should drink and post. I'll just close by saying if 25.6 % of the Spiders offense didn't cramp up on them, they'd have won the day. UMass is fighting for an NIT berth at best.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
That last foul on Vinson was weak. I wasn't paying enough attention to see what happened on the others. The Putney fouls, no doubt about the legitimacy of the calls, nor how dumb they were. One or two brain cramps, no problem. There is such a thing as a good foul. Putney's never are. Once his makes his early OB alley oop they may as well sit him down for the duration. That sky scraping rainbow jumper looks pretty awesome and undefendable when it's falling, but this season I think I could make them at the same rate he does. (Okay, this is definitely the tequila talking. I'm pretty sure 26.7% of my brain is cramping up on me)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Sampson had 10 points on 75% shooting with 5 rebounds, 2 blocks, 2 assists and 1 TO in 24 minutes. Cady had 12 points on 62% shooting with 4 rebounds, 0 blocks, 0 assists and 2 TO in 24 minutes. I know not everything shows up in the stats, but it's hard to say Sampson stunk while Cady had a great game.

Maxie grabbing 9 boards in 20 minutes was also a positive. Richmond only had 18 boards as a team.

Vinson's foul out was weak, but that's what he gets for throwing elbows so often. The refs are looking for it.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I'm surprise by that line then. I didn't exactly have my eyes glued to the screen the entire game, but the only good thing I saw out of Sampson today were those clutch FT's near the end. I did see a couple of missed bunnies from Cady, but I mostly liked what I saw from him. I did see some good things from Max too, now that you mention it.

That guy Robbins on the Spiders would've looked good in a UMass uniform. Smart, tough player.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
bdance - Sampson was the difference in the game in the last five minutes. UMass won because of him. It's true that he was not great before that but the fact is that UMass was winning for most of the time he wasn't playing well. When TV fouled out and the game was up for grabs Sampson stepped up and took the game. You've known me for years and I've watched all but two games this year - I know what I'm talking about.

·
Resident Arachnid of the MPT
21,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thoughts on UMass
----------------------------
1. Chaz is a real talent. But his play is bipolar. He needs a better gear shift or something. He doesn't have to always play at LUDICROUS SPEED, which I think leads to a lot of ill-advised passes.
2. I'm glad Putney doesn't play for my team. After yanking out clumps of hair, I'd be balder than Mr. Clean.
3. What year is Cady? God I hope he is an upper classman. He was the UMASS MVP.
4. UMASS is very talented. I wonder if they'd be top 25 material with a different coach.

Thoughts on Richmond
-------------------------
1. Live by the 3 and Die by the 3. That is Richmond this year. When we had KA, Harper, and Geriot we actually had a good mid-range game. No more. KA0 is no KA2 when it comes to attacking the rim. And Brothers is no David Gonzalvez at attacking the rim. This is the reason we suffer terrible scoring droughts.
2. I continued to be encouraged by the offense of the freshmen big men for Richmond. Their defense of top-tier big men is still pathetic though.
3. I think Richmond lost this one in the first 5 minutes of the game. Kellogg's teams strike me as mentally fragile. If we could have played the first minutes of the game the way we played at the start of the 2nd half, I think this one goes our way.
4. Wish we had a healthy Derrick Williams. Probably would have been the difference. Without him we are not a very well-balanced team.
5. Overall I'm satisfied with Richmond's effort. Wish I could have had a couple of Anthony's shots back, but then again somebody needed to try and score.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I'm surprise by that line then. I didn't exactly have my eyes glued to the screen the entire game, but the only good thing I saw out of Sampson today were those clutch FT's near the end. I did see a couple of missed bunnies from Cady, but I mostly liked what I saw from him. I did see some good things from Max too, now that you mention it.

That guy Robbins on the Spiders would've looked good in a UMass uniform. Smart, tough player.
So you were drinking tequila and not really paying attention to the game. Then you come on with some pretty strong opinions on a game you half-watched.

Thanks so much for sharing,

Carter was huge for Umass today. They won because he and Williams and Riley made it happen, and because K Anthony thought he was Kobe Bryant down the stretch as Umass took their defense up a notch.

Oh, and the UMass Trey Davis played little and did not make one positive play. Not surprised you thought he was a positive.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I think the Umass talent/athleticism is very overrated. Chaz Williams is both. No one else that I see is terribly talented. Esho and Putney make Sportcenter a couple times a year, but don't really have any discernable strengths other than some height and hops. THeir bigs are actually not atheltic at all. Vinson can't run or jump, and I've seen Lallann blocked by smaller guys a whole bunch.

None of them are great shooters or particularly great rebounders either. So I still scratch my head at the widely accepted notion that theirs is a great roster being held back by a bad coach. If anything, Kellogg's recruting to date has been overrated.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts