·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FINAL Siena (0-2), 77 at (17) Syracuse (4-2), 96
Boxscore

The Sports Network

By Pat Taggart, College Basketball Staff Writer

DATE & TIME: Friday, November 25th, 7:00 p.m. (et).

FACTS & STATS: Site: Carrier Dome (33,000) -- Syracuse, New York. Television: None. Home Record: Siena 0-0, Syracuse 2-1. Away Record: Siena 0-1, Syracuse 0-0. Neutral Record: Siena 0-0, Syracuse 1-1. Conference Record: Siena 0-0, Syracuse 0-0. Series Record: Syracuse leads, 6-0.

GAME NOTES: Fresh off a surprising defeat, the 17th-ranked Syracuse Orange get back to action tonight against the Siena Saints at the Carrier Dome. Siena opened its season on Monday against Penn of the Ivy League, and the result of that contest was an 82-77 defeat. First-year head coach Fran McCaffery actually went to Penn two and a half decades ago, so the game was significant for him. Considering that McCaffery has inherited a team that finished 2004-05 with a woeful 6-24 record, expectations are relatively low for the new leader of the program. As for Syracuse, it carries a 3-2 record into this contest, but the last two outings have resulted in defeat. After losing a close game to Florida in the 2K College Hoops Classic, the Orange returned home and were upset by Bucknell, 74-69. It should be mentioned, however, that the Bison return all of their key contributors from their NCAA Tournament team from 2004-05. Still, the fact that Syracuse beat Texas Tech by 35 points last week made the Bucknell loss rather unexpected. The Orange posted a 78-56 victory over the Saints last season and have won all six meetings between the teams.

Jack McClinton was a promising player for the Saints last season but he decided to transfer to the University of Miami. He and Michael Haddix were expected to be back in place as one of the MAAC's top duos, but Haddix tore his left Achilles' heel on a recent trip to China and is now being forced to take a medical redshirt. Considering that senior guard Antoine Mitchell is the top returning scorer for the squad at 7.6 ppg, there appears to be little for the new coach to work with. Fortunately, the effort against Penn in the opener provides hope. Four players scored in double figures for Siena, and Antoine Jordan came through with 22 points and 10 rebounds. Tay Fisher pitched in 18 points, Kojo Mensah tallied 15 points and David Ryan rounded out the group with 14. After shooting only 34.4 percent from the floor in the first half, the Saints connected on 51.9 percent of their field goal attempts over the final 20 minutes. Unfortunately, the perennially powerful Quakers proved to be too tough in their own building.

Syracuse struggled at the offensive end in the loss to Bucknell, as the club shot just 38.3 percent from the floor and committed 16 turnovers in front of the disappointed Carrier Dome crowd. Demetris Nichols finished with 19 points and nine boards for the Orange, and Terrence Roberts pitched in 12 points and 11 rebounds. Gerry McNamara is the undeniable leader of this team, as the senior played a key role on the National Championship squad from a couple of years ago that featured Carmelo Anthony. McNamara scored 18 points against Bucknell, but shot just 6-of-19 from the field, including a 4-of-13 showing from behind the arc. Nichols is a 6-8 junior forward who enters this season without a big reputation, but he is currently the leading scorer for Syracuse with 15.2 ppg to go along with 7.4 rpg. McNamara adds 13.0 ppg to the lineup, and he has dished out 30 assists with only 11 turnovers. Unfortunately, he has shot an embarrassing 19-of-69 from the field thus far, and the standout guard must improve his efficiency in a hurry.

Expect the Orange to bounce back strong tonight, as this could be the game McNamara finally breaks out of his shooting slump. Keep an eye on Nichols, as it will be interesting to see if he can maintain his high level of play.

Sports Network Predicted Outcome: Syracuse 81, Siena 57

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Could be an a.ss-whopping of the first order - as 'Cuse has some talented, inexperienced players that when they show up will be a very good club.

If Siena plays as well as they did on Monday v. Penn - they should still lose by 20+. Here's to a good effort and everyone coming away healthy.

Siena should play 'Cuse every year.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
This game could get very ugly, as I expect the Cuse to exploit Siena’s lack of height. Had Cuse not lost to Bucknell they might have looked past the Saints allowing them to keep the game respectable ( About 20 point loss ;-) Cuse will come out with fire in their bellies looking to throw a whooping on the young Saints. Should give Fran a chance to look at some of the players that didn’t play against Penn, most notably Diop and Braga

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed...we are just looking for some respectabilty from the young Saints! Anything below a 20 point loss will be a moral victory in my book.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
52-37, Cuse at the half.

Very entertaining game. Jordan, Kojo and the freshman, Kenny Hasbrouck, all playing well. Siena continues to play aggressively on both ends of the floor. Syracuse is dominating the boards - but aside from an early run by Syracuse, another nice effort by the undermanned Saints.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Saints come in under the 23.5 point spread - 96-77.

Another good effort - Siena had it to 10 with about 8 minutes to go - then ran out of diesel. Jordan finished with 29, Cuse had no one that could guard him - and he didn't really play the last 5 minutes, or take any shots.

Siena has sort of raised the bar with their first couple of efforts. I would think many Siena fans are expecting a close game on Monday in Albany against Fordham.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Siena will steal one of the next three games at the Pepsi (Fordham, Holy Cross, Albany) I don't which one but got a good feeling the Saints trip of one them up and stay close in all three.

Good effort by the Saints in Syracuse tonight. I think the Cuse is in for a long year in the brutal BEast though.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
MTS said:
..........I think the Cuse is in for a long year in the brutal BEast though.

Not as long as the year your Deity is in for in Atlanta. Georgia Tech was taken behind the woodshed - AT HOME - by Illinois-Chicago tonight, 73-51.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
That was a HORRIBLE loss for Georgia Tech. Illnois-Chicago lost to a NAIA team the other day too, so they're not even that good. Georgia Tech has only one senior and one junior not good for playing in the ACC. I look for them to be around .500 and probably in the NIT this season. The kids' Hewitt brought in can play though, so look for them to be back in the NCAA's in 2006-2007...along with Siena ;-)

·
The Bilson = Jayhawk Love
6,884 Posts
I was at the game, I'll tell you Siena is going to be one of those teams that's not going to go away in any game. Damn that Jordan and Cujo kids.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
GuyF said:
Can I put in a vote for a Siena win over Fordham? :cheers:
Siena over Fordham looks a lot more possible now, after the Rams lost AT HOME to SFNY.

Looks like Fordham's run to national prominence is still light years away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts