1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
St. Joseph's

vs

VCU

Records: St. Joseph's (9-5, 1-1 A 10) / VCU (14-3, 2-0 A 10)
Game time: 9PM EST
TV: CBS College Sports Network
Radio: St. Joseph's SportsRadio 610 WIP / VCU 107.3 FM

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
VCU is giving 10 points on this game. I'm not sure how I would bet on this one.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Looking forward to a great game tonight. The crowd should be rocking but a 9pm tip combined with this stupid winter storm could have some effect. I think St. Joe's will hang tough for a long time but VCU's depth will eventually take their legs away. Its hard to play your starters 35+ minutes against our pressure. Go Rams!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
If the preseason favorite has any designs on winning the conference, they probably need to surprise one of the top contenders. Missed their chance with Butler at home, this one will be tougher.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
No points yet, but it seems to be a great crowd. (first time I'm getting to watch a VCU home game this season)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Wow, VCU handchecks and bumps the ballhandlers like crazy. They haven't gotten called for it yet, but I guess that's not surprising at home. I thought handchecking like that was supposed to be called after last year?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I've watched 3 VCU games so far this year. They haven't been getting called for it in any of them. It's a rare officiating crew who will make those calls. At this point, if you're playing VCU, know that they're going to play extremely physically and the refs aren't going to bail you out. It's not a style of basketball I like watching, but it's effective.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Announcers are funny, calling for a foul on SJU "mugging" a ballhandler, when it's not half of what their players have done so far.

VCU is hitting shots from all over. Some are easy ones, but they've got some good midrange scorers too. I saw them play earlier and was impressed with their offense as much as their defense, still seems to be the same deal. SJU appears over matched.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I can't stand the VCU announcers. Constantly acting like VCU players are being fouled and just incredulous whenever St. Joe's makes a shot. At least they have toned down the use of the word "havoc".

That being said, VCU playing very well.

Edit: I am enjoying the PA guy, though. "Who's ready to beg for a burrito?" Nah, I don't need dignity, a five dollar burrito should take care of whatever shreds I had remaining.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Maybe spoke too soon. If SJU beats the press, they get easy baskets or can set up for a decent shot. VCU is shooting and missing a bunch of 3's. Still don't see SJU winning this one though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Announcers are funny, calling for a foul on SJU "mugging" a ballhandler, when it's not half of what their players have done so far.

VCU is hitting shots from all over. Some are easy ones, but they've got some good midrange scorers too. I saw them play earlier and was impressed with their offense as much as their defense, still seems to be the same deal. SJU appears over matched.
pretty sure VCU's 1 of 10 now from three. if those start dropping it could get ugly

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
These announcers are officially annoying.

SJU is hanging around thanks to the missed jumpshots from VCU, only down 6 at the half. They really have to stop giving up so many easy baskets. I'd guess fatigue is an issue due to the up-and-down nature of the game.

It'd be interesting to see VCU go up against another team that likes to press and run. Few teams want to do it because they don't want to run that much with them. But the VCU ballhandlers are pretty loose with the ball.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts