1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VCU

vs

St. Bonaventure

Records: VCU (13-3, 1-0 A 10) / St. Bonaventure (7-7, 0-1 A 10)
Game time: 4PM EST
TV: CBS 6 Richmond, Comcast SportsNet MidAtlantic, Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, Time Warner SportsChannel Buffalo
Radio: VCU 107.3 FM / St. Bonaventure 95.7 WPIG and WHDL 1450 am

·
Registered
840 Posts
Looking forward to our first A-10 road showdown with what appears to be a tough road venue. Go Rams, bring the heat!

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Yeah this is kind of scary. I've heard all sorts of stories about how tough it is to play up there. Bona is on a 4-game skid and hasn't looked good while in it either. This is probably the best home game they've had in a while and it sounds like the dorms are being opened early and it may be a near capacity crowd. They'll be amped and wanting to turn their season around in a big way.

We'll have to be extremely sharp, poised, and focused on the task at hand. This is a game we can lose. On paper, we should win this going away with the defense that the Bonnies have played (or not played I should say) this year so far. I am really wary of the A-10 road factor though.

That's a veteran Bonnies squad up there. It should be a good test for us. We honestly didn't test ourselves on the road at all. The only true road games were at Winthrop (6-8, 3-8 against D1 competition), ODU (2-14), and ETSU (3-13). We crushed all those teams but they also suck badly.

St. Bonaventure is easily the best team we've faced on the road this year. I hope we pass this test because it's an important first one going into the conference schedule.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
The Bonnies have not played this poorly since Schmidt's first year when the cupboard was bare. Hopeful for a good game, but it could be a bloodbath.

·
Registered
840 Posts
To me this game is huge to build conference momentum. This is the 2nd of 3 tests in our early schedule with the third being St. Joe's on Thursday. If we find a way we follow these three up with Duquesne, UR, Rhody, Fordham and Charlotte. This is a scary one though.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
VCU is probably good enough to win this one. But if you're going to see the foul problems in any game, this will probably be it. The whole foul so much the refs can't call everything will likely not be true in Olean, where they usually get one of the better homecourt advantages in the league.

May not be enough, but I'd guess your defenders end up in some serious foul trouble. Does VCU try to dial it back a bit on the road? I assume they do, and that would likely help them in this game. I'm hoping I get a chance to see this one, because I'm really curious how much VCU will be penalized in road games for their style, could indicate a lot about how likely they are to finish at the top of the league when they also have to play SLU on the road.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
We do a good job adjusting to how the refs call the game. They just typically call it tighter on the road. In our arena and atmosphere the refs can get caught up in our pace and style of play.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
No need to worry about the refs, DB. antboy and several other of our Charlotte friends are still apparently traumatized by a game that IIRC took place in 1897, or thereabouts. It's been a long, long time since Olean has been a particularly tough place to play. There's still a home court advantage, of course, but I wouldn't rank it any higher than average in the A10.

·
Registered
299 Posts
SBU's performance against GWU was probably the most head scratching result from opening night. Olean can be a very tough place to play. I expect VCU will have a their hands full, relatively speaking.

Are the students back?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Classes start on Monday. The dorms will be open for those who want to return early. We'll have to wait and see how many avail themselves of the opportunity.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
No need to worry about the refs, DB. antboy and several other of our Charlotte friends are still apparently traumatized by a game that IIRC took place in 1897, or thereabouts. It's been a long, long time since Olean has been a particularly tough place to play. There's still a home court advantage, of course, but I wouldn't rank it any higher than average in the A10.
Ha, I don't know about traumatized. It was 2 years ago, i.e. the last time Charlotte played there, so it's the last Charlotte game I remember in Olean and it was a doozy. But I imagine some other fans on here would support the idea that the Bonnies have a better than average home court advantage, given how often people talk about dreading their teams playing there even in the last few years.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Okay Shaka, I know it may seem like we only lost one player form last years team but we actually lost two starters and three players if you even want to count Jake House. Just pointing that out. I understand that he wasn't coaching here before so he might not know much about the Bonnies other than Nicholson but De'Quan Cook was a very important part of last years team as well.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Okay Shaka, I know it may seem like we only lost one player form last years team but we actually lost two starters and three players if you even want to count Jake House. Just pointing that out. I understand that he wasn't coaching here before so he might not know much about the Bonnies other than Nicholson but De'Quan Cook was a very important part of last years team as well.
I'm sure he appreciates you clarifying that for him.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
...De'Quan Cook was a very important part of last years team as well.
...which is becoming more apparent game by game. So many of us used to get frustrated with the all the passes that bounced off his hands, but he was a solid rebounder and intimidating on defense. I think Cook is a big reason the team seemed to play so capably in stretches when Nicholson was sitting on the bench in foul trouble.

·
Registered
152 Posts
This is probably the best home game they've had in a while and it sounds like the dorms are being opened early and it may be a near capacity crowd. They'll be amped and wanting to turn their season around in a big way.
Best home game in a while? I think SBU has played an A-10 schedule for a few years. Pretty sure that there have been some good teams in the RC before VCU. It really doesn't matter who they are playing the SBU fans will be "amped" in a big way. A few "sodas" and they don't really care if they are playing VCU or JCC.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts