• KG

Votes: 27 40.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Sir Charles definately.

He was much more dominant than KG is and I never see KG getting to that point because that doesn't seem to be his game.

·
Registered
392 Posts
barkley was so much more efficient on offense.....garnett only 1 season shooting better than .500, charles only 6 seasons shooting worse than .500. from ages 24-27. barkley 28, 26, 25, 27. garnett 22,21,23, 24. barkley 8 fta/game garnett 4.8 fta/game.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Barkley was a much more dominant scorer in his prime, but KG has basically everything else on him; rebounding, passing, shot blocking, and definitely all around defensive capabilities. But damn was Barkley a much more dominant scorer.

I'd still take KG, even if he still has years left of prime to go.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Originally posted by <b>EHL</b>!
Barkley was a much more dominant scorer in his prime, but KG has basically everything else on him; rebounding, passing, shot blocking, and definitely all around defensive capabilities. But damn was Barkley a much more dominant scorer.

I'd still take KG, even if he still has years left of prime to go.
You ain't wrong on this, EHL, but Charles' game was... how can i explain... surreal!

KG has a lot of mileage ahead to claim his name in the pantheum of the all time greats, but, for argument's sake, if he retired in this off-season, i have no doubt that, 10 years from now, people would remember Barkley's dominance of a bball game way better than KG's...

Barkley brought a whole lot of intangibles to the game...

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PauloCatarino</b>!

You ain't wrong on this, EHL, but Charles' game was... how can i explain... surreal!

KG has a lot of mileage ahead to claim his name in the pantheum of the all time greats, but, for argument's sake, if he retired in this off-season, i have no doubt that, 10 years from now, people would remember Barkley's dominance of a bball game way better than KG's...

Barkley brought a whole lot of intangibles to the game...
Absolutely, I completely understand where you're coming from. Barkely's dominance offensively was simply amazing, he averaged roughly 25 ppg on 56% shooting for a 5-6 year period in his career (something like that). Statistically that's almost Shaq dominant.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts

Absolutely, I completely understand where you're coming from. Barkely's dominance offensively was simply amazing, he averaged roughly 25 ppg on 56% shooting for a 5-6 year period in his career (something like that). Statistically that's almost Shaq dominant.
And it is a short, fat, arrogant blabber-mouth player we're talking about...
Chuck was insultingly (sp?) talented... And he had that intangible quality that made him transcend his physical limitations... just like Magic and Larry...

I know that, one on one, KB would win... but in his time Charles took a back seat to nobody...

I guess i kinda miss having a guy like that wreaking havok in the court... :sigh:

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Anyone remember how Sir Charles body slammed Shaq?

That was just hilarious.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
If Garnett died tomarrow, it's Barkley.

However, if you look at Barkley and Garnett's first nine seasons, it's close to a wash. Garnett doesn't score as much, but rebounds, passes, blocks shots, and defends better. Chuck made it to the NBA finals in his 9th year, KG to the conference finals. They also both have an MVP under their belts.

It should be pointed out that after '92-93, it was pretty much all down hill for Barkley. I don't think anybody would make the case that Garnett is going to peak anytime soon. Garnett also has the advantage of being a couple of years younger, and being in a lot better shape (Barkley's body started falling apart in the early 90's, while Garnett hasn't missed a game due to injury in years.

While Barkley certainly has the better career to date (and I doubt KG will ever be much more effective than Chuck was at his peak), I think there's a good chance that Garnett will eventually eclipse Barkley on the list of all time great forwards when looking at career accomplishments.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PauloCatarino</b>!

I'd really like to know the age of the people who voted KG... ;)
Personally, I haven't voted because I don't see much to choose from at the moment. They're fairly similar in value to this point in their careers and it remains to be seen what Garnett does for the rest of his career.

But I think it's quite unfair to imply that voting for Garnett is akin to being too young to be informed. Garnett is an incredible talent and can legitimately be compared to any power forward who has ever played the game. A few, like Karl Malone, Tim Duncan, Charles Barkley...even Kevin McHale...could be argued as better than Garnett. But Garnett has a perfectly strong argument as being superior, thus far in his career, to any of them.

It's unlikely that Garnett will ever be as dominant a scorer as Malone and Barkley were (same for Duncan, though he'd likely win in a landslide over Barkley) but Garnett is so gifted all-around he's almost totally unique in history.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Barkley was a much more dominant scorer in his prime, but KG has basically everything else on him; rebounding, passing, shot blocking, and definitely all around defensive capabilities.
Take Barkley in 1987 (only his third season):
23 ppg, 15 rpg, 5 apg, 1.8 spg, 1.5 bpg, .594 FG%

Compare it to KG now:
24 ppg, 14 rpg, 5 apg, 1.5 spg, 2.2 bpg, .499 FG%

Now statistics rarely tell the whole story, and it's difficult to say if Barkley in 1987 was better than KG is now. This is just an example. But here was a young, fat, stumpy fella who led the league in rebounds, blocked one and a half shots per game, and shot at 60%. Like someone might have already said, Barkley's game had a surreal, kind of fantastical element. Unless KG puts up a few more similarly great seasons and manages to match Charles' playoff intensity, I know who I'll pick without a second's thought.

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
It's almost frightening to think about how dominant and talented Sir Charles was as a 6'6 (if not less, I've heard reports of him being 6'4) PF.

He was so abnormally gifted. There may never be another player like him. Ever. People can talk about Wilt, MJ, Magic or whoever being once-in-a-generation talents.

If you really stop and think about it, Charles Barkley was the true once-in-a-generation talent. In my opinion, you could make the argument that Barkley is the most purely talented player to ever play the game.

What the man could do at his size... simply amazing. Will we ever see another 6'4-6'6 player lead the league in rebounding? I strongly doubt it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts