Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody noticed the taxes on gas thses days. in california where i live, there is a 18.3 cent federal tax, 18.0 cent tax for state, and 36.3 cent tax for something else. thats 80 cents in taxes per gallon. i am so sick of being f'd by the government. all we are here for is to earn money, then give it right back to them. we need to boycott the gas stations, and send a message that we won't stand for this. but i'm sure there are some idiots who have no problem paying 2.50 a gallon.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
So boycott the gas stations because of the Government tax on gas?

And for those of us who truely need to buy gas to get to and from work, how do I go about boycotting something that If I don't get, I don't work and then I don't get paid?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
obviously you cant do it for everything, but try. that is the only way to show them. only drive to and from work, then maybe ride your bike to get around by your house, or walk to places. if enough people boycott gas, and maybe stay in instead of going on a long car trip or something, it will send a message. we have to do something, or it will get even worse. we could be paying 4 bucks a gallon by the time bush is out of the office.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Just be happy you don't live in Europe. Gasoline costs 3 to 4 times the amount there and it is all due to higher taxes. The U.S. actually has it pretty good comparatively.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
tradetheo said:
obviously you cant do it for everything, but try. that is the only way to show them. only drive to and from work, then maybe ride your bike to get around by your house, or walk to places. if enough people boycott gas, and maybe stay in instead of going on a long car trip or something, it will send a message. we have to do something, or it will get even worse. we could be paying 4 bucks a gallon by the time bush is out of the office.
Personally I do conserve gas when I can.

BTW is it a matter of intelligence or is it a matter of wealth if people are upset or not. I'm sure Bill Gates doesn't care about poaying $2.50 a gallon for gas, but does that make him an idiot?

BTW check the cost of elctricty, how about the cost of heating your home? Energy costs are up across the board.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Schilly said:
Personally I do conserve gas when I can.

BTW is it a matter of intelligence or is it a matter of wealth if people are upset or not. I'm sure Bill Gates doesn't care about poaying $2.50 a gallon for gas, but does that make him an idiot?

BTW check the cost of elctricty, how about the cost of heating your home? Energy costs are up across the board.
does that make it right? we are getting screwed around the board, and i am getting very tired of it, and it really makes me mad when it doesn;t bother people. and it has nothing to do with not being able to afford gas, it has to do with being ripped off on something i know for a fact that doesn;t cost them 2.50 a gallon to produce. the vice president's company profit margin is up 63 percent, and chevrons profits are up 90 percent. ever wonder why that is. because the cost of gas isn;t that high. it's a government way to make money. if people don't have a problem with this. then step to the side please and let the real people fight these politicans. i wish i could have a fist fight with gw or dick cheney. i would whip both them.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
well, it ain't cheap to maintain millions of miles of paved roads. when you think about all the concrete out there constantly getting worn out, there's a staggering amount of maintenance cost that goes into it. not to mention policing it.

could they hire fewer construction workers and pay the bureaucrats at the DMV less? sure. is it really possibly to lower the taxes a lot? I doubt it.

btw--as someone living in one of the most rural states in the union, I'd personally like to thank you Blue State fellers for subsidizing my roads with your federal gas taxes. there's no way we could afford it at current Idaho state tax levels.

we Idahoans may ***** at you, but we sure like your money. :) part of our "rugged indivijalist naycher."

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
$2.79 a gallon for the milk that for many comes from a just few miles away

$3.79 a gallon for Dannon Natural Spring Water which comes from somewhere in our country

$6.00 a gallon for antifreeze which is made in the US

I wouldn't even want to try to calculate what perfume or cologne goes for by the gallon.

Paying $2.50 a gallon for gas that perhaps started as oil being pumped 10,000 miles away doesn't sound quite as bad, does it?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see gas prices back down to under $1.00 a gallon. But somehow I believe that this is not some sort of conspiracy being perpetrated by all levels of government on the American population.

Have you been watching the news? Especially the price per barrel of oil that OPEC now charges? Think maybe that might have something to do with what you're paying at the pump?

And why do I somehow believe that if all the taxes were taken off of gas, tradetheo would be on this board complaining about how the roads were in bad shape and insist that the government do something about it?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i live in california, and things are different. we pay toll, which takes care of the street costs, as well as a state tax, federal and a sales tax. now we also pay 80 cents per gallon tax for gas. so there is plenty of money there, as we are taxed 5 times on a daily basis. see, some of these red state people need to stop looking at themselves, and start looking at how it affects other people. typical rebublican, if things are fine for me it's fine for everybody else. it isn't!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Storyteller said:
$2.79 a gallon for the milk that for many comes from a just few miles away

$3.79 a gallon for Dannon Natural Spring Water which comes from somewhere in our country

$6.00 a gallon for antifreeze which is made in the US

I wouldn't even want to try to calculate what perfume or cologne goes for by the gallon.

Paying $2.50 a gallon for gas that perhaps started as oil being pumped 10,000 miles away doesn't sound quite as bad, does it?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see gas prices back down to under $1.00 a gallon. But somehow I believe that this is not some sort of conspiracy being perpetrated by all levels of government on the American population.

Have you been watching the news? Especially the price per barrel of oil that OPEC now charges? Think maybe that might have something to do with what you're paying at the pump?

And why do I somehow believe that if all the taxes were taken off of gas, tradetheo would be on this board complaining about how the roads were in bad shape and insist that the government do something about it?
but we have a choice to buy those things. we don't need milk, or dannon water. i get water that is 99 cents for 3 gallons. we also dont need perfume, or any of the other stuff you mentioned. we need gas. people need gas to get to work, to take kids to soccer,football,babll practice, or to have a life. that is the problem. bush knows people can't live without gas, so all of a sudden we have a gas crisis, when everybody and their mom knows that the governemt is a businesss set on taking as much money from us as possible. stop listening to these people, and start forming your own opinions.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
tradetheo said:
bush knows people can't live without gas, so all of a sudden we have a gas crisis, when everybody and their mom knows that the governemt is a businesss set on taking as much money from us as possible. stop listening to these people, and start forming your own opinions.
Clinton took 18.3 cents per gallon, too.

The price of gas is not going up PRIMARILY because of taxes charged. It's because of private industry in this country (ie, the gas companies) and because OPEC is now charging more than $57 per gallon of oil.

BTW, you don't have to buy gas, either. Walking, biking, public transportation, bumming rides off of friends - these are just a few of your options.

And I'd love to see what reaction I got if I told all my friends with families that they "don't have" to buy the milk that costs more per gallon than gasoline does.....

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
tradetheo said:
i live in california, and things are different. we pay toll, which takes care of the street costs, as well as a state tax, federal and a sales tax. now we also pay 80 cents per gallon tax for gas. so there is plenty of money there, as we are taxed 5 times on a daily basis. see, some of these red state people need to stop looking at themselves, and start looking at how it affects other people. typical rebublican, if things are fine for me it's fine for everybody else. it isn't!
actually, other than Minstrel I'm probably as much commie pinko as anyone on this board. I was being ironic.

my point was that it never ceases to amaze me how much red states complain about federal taxes and how much blue states don't seem to mind. it's the red states that actually get more benefit per capita from federal spending.

at some point it seems to me both sides are going to finally get what they want. Federal spending will finally get cut. Blue states will raise taxes to supplement cuts. Red states will learn to live without services.

you'll be able to go to California or New York or Oregon and get universal health care (and pay a higher tax rate, but not that much more because they no longer have to subsidize us Red states). or you can move to Idaho, drive on crummy roads and hope your employer doesn't cut your health care program, but pay lower taxes.

everybody's happy.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Damn Arco was just $1.69 earlier in 05 now it's jacked up to like $2.40 somethin...20 bucks wont even fill my tank anymore :cry:

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
MAS RipCity said:
Damn Arco was just $1.69 earlier in 05 now it's jacked up to like $2.40 somethin...20 bucks wont even fill my tank anymore :cry:
Using that acro piss water actually costs you more in the long run believe it or not.

When I use acro gas compared to a better quality fuel like Chevron, my gas mileage plummets.

So it actually ends up costing less for me to use Chevron gas. (I've calculated it all down to miles per gallon, and then used those numbers I take a ratio of the two brands of petrol, and unless the Arco gas is roughly half the price of Chevron, it isn't worth it.)

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
tradetheo said:
does that make it right? we are getting screwed around the board, and i am getting very tired of it, and it really makes me mad when it doesn;t bother people. and it has nothing to do with not being able to afford gas, it has to do with being ripped off on something i know for a fact that doesn;t cost them 2.50 a gallon to produce. the vice president's company profit margin is up 63 percent, and chevrons profits are up 90 percent. ever wonder why that is. because the cost of gas isn;t that high. it's a government way to make money. if people don't have a problem with this. then step to the side please and let the real people fight these politicans. i wish i could have a fist fight with gw or dick cheney. i would whip both them.
If by your posts you mean the federal government is in the business of helping the Bush/Cheney administration's oil company business partners make money, you'll get no argument from me. But I'm not sure how the gas taxes that have you so upset are going directly into oil company profits. In my experience of anecdotally observing oil company profits, their profits seem to go to the moon every time there is an oil "crisis" due to increased crude oil costs (I would have thought that would decrease their profits :whoknows: ) I'm not enjoying the price of gas (my wife and I both commute to work), but I'm not going to blame the collecting of tax revenue, the benefits of which I enjoy daily. I'm much more upset by other, obscene, Bush/Cheney federal expenditures, which I won't bring up in this thread, although they may be closely allied with the source of your angst.

Cheers.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
theWanker said:
at some point it seems to me both sides are going to finally get what they want. Federal spending will finally get cut. Blue states will raise taxes to supplement cuts. Red states will learn to live without services.
This is, in a nutshell, one of the primary reasons I've got federalist tendencies (lower "f", although Hamilton was pretty cool, too :) ). With the relative ease of mobility nowadays, even if people are "stranded" in a blue state, they can move somewhere else to where taxes are lower and they don't get benefits they feel they don't need... and stranded bluebies can move to a state that's more consistent with their tax- and benefit thresholds.

Ed O.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Just be happy you don't live in Europe. Gasoline costs 3 to 4 times the amount there and it is all due to higher taxes. The U.S. actually has it pretty good comparatively.

Well, that isn't exactly fair as most European countries offer free health care and free college. Would I pay more for taxes and gas in order to go to college for free and have free health care? Hell yes. I for one, being 22, am finding it almost impossible to get enough money to go to college like a good boy. I have the intelligence, some may disagree haha, but lack the funds. It is a kind of catch 22 really. The situation is not an easy thing to solve. I won't get into my beliefs on this matter.......as it will probably end up closing the thread......well...due to the political rules on this site...haha
Anyways, Peace
Prunetang

·
Registered
837 Posts
tradetheo said:
if enough people boycott gas, and maybe stay in instead of going on a long car trip or something, it will send a message. we have to do something, or it will get even worse. we could be paying 4 bucks a gallon by the time bush is out of the office.

So what does Bush has to do with the price set by OPEC? Have you picked up a business page lately and read about China, India, Brazil and other 3rd world countries/people who buy more cars and need more modern energy to live their lives. Yes there are taxes on oil like there is on your phone bill or cigarette. You need to live with it. You also want the best benefits, social security, paid vacation, roads, social programs ect. You can't have everything free. Like Tlong said, think of Europe and their tax system. They have higher taxes( like gas tax, higher corporate tax, higher income tax ect.) to support the benefits they enjoy. In England gas prices are $6-7/ gallon right now.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Ed O said:
This is, in a nutshell, one of the primary reasons I've got federalist tendencies (lower "f", although Hamilton was pretty cool, too :) ). With the relative ease of mobility nowadays, even if people are "stranded" in a blue state, they can move somewhere else to where taxes are lower and they don't get benefits they feel they don't need... and stranded bluebies can move to a state that's more consistent with their tax- and benefit thresholds.

Ed O.
yeah, although I'm a pretty liberal person I'm starting to come around to the idea of cutting Federal spending. it'd be really interesting to see how different states handle things like health care and road maintenance.

Idaho would probably keep taxes low to attract business (as they've always done.) but we have no decent universities, and our public schools aren't that hot as they are. roads are generally in worse shape than Oregon. would people still come here for the work? don't know.

the state of New York would be awash in money if they eliminated a lot of federal taxes and raised state taxes progressively. it'd be pretty easy to imagine it becoming the Denmark of America.

seems like Oregon, Washington and California could form a collective for providing a regional universal health program.

you'd have 50 different states with 50 different plans, each specific to their demography, geography and economy. it'd suck to live in a poor state like Arkansas, though.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts