Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Josh Newberg of 247 Sports is reporting that Tom Herman “would be highly interested in” the head coaching position at Georgia. Newberg adds that Kirby Smart and Dan Mullen are expected to be considered for the position.
Herman would be fucking great, but I doubt we look at him.

Mullen/Smart = no upgrade over Richt

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
I get you guys are restless and I'm okay with Richt getting fired. It's just gonna be absolutely hilarious when some of you guys realize the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I think Mullen/Herman would be the two best guys for the job.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get you guys are restless and I'm okay with Richt getting fired. It's just gonna be absolutely hilarious when some of you guys realize the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I think Mullen/Herman would be the two best guys for the job.
Anyone but Mullen

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where do you rank UGA in terms of best CFB jobs? I think it's pretty close to top 5 for me.
Jobs that are clearly better: Alabama, Texas, USC, Florida, Ohio State

After that, it's up for debate. Georgia doesn't have the history, tradition or national brand as others do, but they are in a pretty great recruiting area.

Then again USC, Texas and Florida weren't able to get their first choices so that stuff might not matter anymore

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Everybody with sources (ESPN, AJC, Rivals, 247) are saying the job belongs Kirby Smart unless he says no.

However, our genius athletic director is playing hard ball and doesn't want to give Smart full autonomy over the program. Smart wants Will Muschamp or Jeremy Pruitt as defensive coordinator, but Muschamp could be the head coach at South Carolina and everybody in the athletic department hates Pruitt and doesn't want him back. If we can't meet Kirby's demands then the job will go to Dan Mullen.

Basically, the boosters want Kirby and the AD wants Mullen.

It doesn't sound like we ever seriously contacted Tom Herman, but he seems content to make $3M/year at Houston until Texas has an opening.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Smart agrees to become UGA coach.
I have liked Kirby for a long time (you can check my posting history), but this situation is still so weird. At the very least, Georgia is going to be recruiting like machines now.

It will be interesting to see who he brings with him. Sounds like Scott Cochran will be the strength coach and Muschamp is his first choice for DC, but it's the OC that will be the important hire.

·
Administrator
115,886 Posts
Oh, yeah, I remember those days you were wanting Richt out, Smart in and I wanted Beamer out, nearly anybody in til we realized it wasn't going to happen for a while longer lol. And boom.

UGA should be able to keep those significant talents in-state and away from Bama more so now. Have you heard any names on OC?

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UGA should be able to keep those significant talents in-state and away from Bama more so now. Have you heard any names on OC?
Nothing concrete.

Random names I've seen Reddit: Billy Napier (Alabama WR), Tyson Helton (Western Kentucky OC), Doug Meachem (TCU OC), Major Applewhite (Houston OC), Derek Dooley, Shane Beamer lol.

It sounds like Kirby is keeping our current RB and WR coaches since they are out recruiting now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts