1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Associated Press said:
McDonald's All-American not retaining an agent
Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma State basketball signee Gerald Green will apply for early entry into the NBA draft, but his father says the 6-foot-8 shooting guard will retain the option of playing at OSU by not hiring an agent.

"He wants to win a national championship at OSU, but if he's a lotto pick, that's hard to turn down," Gerald Green Sr. said. "That's why you go to college, to get a degree to earn a good living. It's a catch-22 situation. We'll probably stick him (on the draft list) just to see how it goes."

Not hiring an agent will allow Green to retain his eligibility. Players who want to go to the NBA before completing their senior year in college must file by May 14. The draft is June 28.

Green, from Houston's Gulf Shores Academy, is rated the No. 1 high school senior in the country by Rivals.com. He signed with OSU in November, but there has been speculation Green would jump to the NBA.

Green has said repeatedly he intends to attend OSU, and his father says he wants to be a Cowboy. But the father adds that if Green is a lottery pick in the NBA, he'll consider skipping college.

A lottery pick is one of the first 14 players selected with the top pick guaranteed a three-year contract worth $10.8 million. The 14th player chosen is guaranteed a three-year contract worth $3.8 million.

His NBA stock shot up in the recent McDonald's High School All-American game in which he won the slam-dunk contest and scored a game-high 24 points.

"It will be a really tough decision," said Gerald Green Sr. "I'll pretty much leave it up to him. He wants to go to OSU. He's not concerned at all (with NBA draft speculation). I want him to be happy. If he's not a lotto pick, he'll definitely go to OSU. But if he's a lotto pick, he's not stupid."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2031983

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
what's the point in hiring an agent anyway? a guy like him is going to get the standard deal. I'm sure he'll hire a lawyer to confirm this. why don't more kids who are waffling on going into the draft do this?

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
theWanker said:
what's the point in hiring an agent anyway? a guy like him is going to get the standard deal. I'm sure he'll hire a lawyer to confirm this. why don't more kids who are waffling on going into the draft do this?
I think it's just to have someone there to help them jump through the hoops properly.

Setting up workout times (buying tickets, talking to teams, arranging for lodgings) seems like a pretty significant undertaking, and while it could be done on an hourly basis (rather than as a percentage of the contract) having someone who knows the ropes and might help a draftee move up a couple of spots is worth it.

I'm just guessing here, though.

Ed O.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Good news that Green's coming out. Even if Portland doesn't take him, it's another prospect that some other team might be interested in and one that has a chance even to sneak ahead of where Portland picks.

Ed O.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
theWanker said:

Agents also help get endorsement deals too.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
It soon won't be long that many players competing in the NBA Championship will be younger than those playing in NCAA Championship. :D

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
BEER&BASKETBALL said:
Agents also help get endorsement deals too.
Of course if Endorsements started to roll in then he'd really have to hire an agent anyway as he'd be dumb to pass them up, unless they were tiny little endorsements.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
ABM said:
It soon won't be long that many players competing in the NBA Championship will be younger than those playing in NCAA Championship. :D
Hmmm... kinda like women's gymnastics and figureskating?

Once you hit college, you're past your prime.

·
The Bilson = Jayhawk Love
6,884 Posts
ABM said:
I give it a year

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
"That's why you go to college, to get a degree to earn a good living.
You also go to college to become educated, Mr. Green. (Seems like a fairly obvious point, but lots of people miss it.)

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Talkhard said:
You also go to college to become educated, Mr. Green. (Seems like a fairly obvious point, but lots of people miss it.)
Very few people are going to college to get "educated," beyond getting the expertise and degree needed to earn a good living.

If college were just about a classical education and had nothing to do with future earnings potential, I think very few would attend college.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Minstrel said:
Very few people are going to college to get "educated," beyond getting the expertise and degree needed to earn a good living.

If college were just about a classical education and had nothing to do with future earnings potential, I think very few would attend college.
Right-O, I know I sure as hell wouldn't pay over 15K a year to attend a state univeristy just to become more "educated".

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
MAS RipCity said:
Right-O, I know I sure as hell wouldn't pay over 15K a year to attend a state univeristy just to become more "educated".
Not to mention when you're going to school full-time and working at the same time, you really don't have to educate yourself. All you can do is do the work and pass. There's no time to learn, just do.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I think college can really help you just learn about life. You don't necessarily need to come out knowing everything about how to crunch numbers, interpret Don Quixote in it's historical context or diagnose a patient with some form of psychological problem. As long as you come out being more prepared for the real world while gaining some form intelectual and social experiences, college is worth the dollar.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
College is great, but there is no way to justify the cost of it. It just costs too damn much. A lot of smart individuals don't get the chance to go to college because it is so expensive.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
MAS RipCity said:
College is great, but there is no way to justify the cost of it. It just costs too damn much. A lot of smart individuals don't get the chance to go to college because it is so expensive.
I agree that it's expensive, but I disagree that there is no way to justify the cost of it. As one who has paid a significant amount of money (and/or taken out a lot of loans to pay for tuition) at three different schools, I can tell you I have few regrets over doing so.

A lot of smart people choose not to go to college, for sure--the benefits don't justify the costs for everyone. I find it hard to believe that smart people can't get scholarships and financial aid to go to college if they're willing to take on the debt to do so, however.

Ed O.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
MAS RipCity said:
College is great, but there is no way to justify the cost of it. It just costs too damn much.
Different people have different priorities (obviously). One person might require a present value calculation showing that future earnings more than offset the tuition and lost wages during the college years; another person might believe that the opportunity for four years of sex, drugs and rock-n-roll justifies any cost. The latter person, is, of course, absolutely correct.

barfo

1 - 17 of 17 Posts