Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Referee Robert Hoyzer has been jailed for two years,five months after the biggest match-fixing scandal to hit German football in over 30 years.

Hoyzer and another referee,Dominik Marks,were found guilty of fixing matches in return for payment from Ante Sapina,the ringleader of a betting scam.

Marks recieved a suspended sentence of one year and six months.Sapina was jailed for two years and 11 months

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
I heard about it the other day. Very severe punishment. This will certainly deter other officials from trying to do the same in the future.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I hope so. I mean, how widespread is match fixing? There's an overview of recent scandals here:http://www.playthegame.org/Knowledg...g_Culture_Threatens_Credibility_of_Sport.aspx
that makes it sound as if there's just a huge amount going on. To the point where the credibility of the game itself threatened. Not just in Germany, who's hosting the World Cup, but Italy, Portugal, Poland, Turkey. All these and more with match fixing scandals in recent years. If putting people in jail is what it takes, so be it. As long as there's sports, there will be gambling on sports, but the bettors can't control the outcome or it's not a sport anymore.

Reactions: Turkish Delight
1 - 4 of 4 Posts