Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lessons Taj Gibson will draw from Omer] Asik are physical, not financial.

In the first practice of training camp, Gibson logged some minutes at center, a move coach Tom Thibodeau hinted at during the offseason. Gibson happily reported he blocked one of Joakim Noah's new sky-hook attempts.

If the Bulls go small at times, Gibson is eager to help. He's focused on that, not the fact he will be, like Asik was, a restricted free agent next offseason if he doesn't sign an extension by Oct. 31.

"I tried to get more fluid with post work, get more confidence and stronger because we lost Omer in the offseason," Gibson said. "I need to be more physical.

"I'm happy for Omer. He let his game speak for itself. He didn't get into the whole 'He wants to leave' or anything like that. He just let his agent handle it and let things fall into play. I can't focus on (the extension). I can only focus on what I can take care of, and that's basketball
."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-bits-bulls-chicago--20121003,0,4989688.story

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Reading between the lines:

"I want to leave on the next train to LA"

"I'm going to let my game speak for myself. And my game says, 4 years/40mil"

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Reading between the lines:

"I want to leave on the next train to LA"

"I'm going to let my game speak for myself. And my game says, 4 years/40mil"
No one in the word is going to pay Taj Gibson 10 mil a year. So you don't need to worry about that.

I do agree though, he sounds pretty excited at the extended play time he'll get this contract year.

·
Administrator
68,864 Posts
No one in the word is going to pay Taj Gibson 10 mil a year. So you don't need to worry about that.

I do agree though, he sounds pretty excited at the extended play time he'll get this contract year.
You are familiar with the ridiculousness of NBA contracts, yes? It's well within reason. He's got height. GMs throw money at height like crazy.

That being said, I think it'll probably be $8-9M/yr he ends up at.

·
1.7%
7,363 Posts
Reports say Taj and the Bulls have had positive contract talks and something will most likely get done before October 31st, so I wouldn't worry about him leaving.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
You are familiar with the ridiculousness of NBA contracts, yes? It's well within reason. He's got height. GMs throw money at height like crazy.

That being said, I think it'll probably be $8-9M/yr he ends up at.
We'll see. I'm expecting around 7.

Hes honestly not all that good.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
I'm thinking 8-9 million if we're lucky... Gibson does a lot that doesn't show up on the stat sheet and guys that can play in the interior always make more than people think they should.

I'm not quite sure what "not all that good" is supposed to mean, but he'll give you right around 12 and 10 with 2 blocks a game if you give him starters minutes, and he'll do it while playing quality team and individual defense. He's a somewhat ideal first big off the bench, I think.

·
1.7%
7,363 Posts
I'm thinking 8-9 million if we're lucky... Gibson does a lot that doesn't show up on the stat sheet and guys that can play in the interior always make more than people think they should.

I'm not quite sure what "not all that good" is supposed to mean, but he'll give you right around 12 and 10 with 2 blocks a game if you give him starters minutes, and he'll do it while playing quality team and individual defense. He's a somewhat ideal first big off the bench, I think.
He's also a guy I feel like you can get away with starting as your 4th or 5th best starter.

1st-Rose
2nd-?
3rd- Deng
4th-Noah
5th-Gibson

It would need to be a legitimate number 2 option though, not someone like Tyreke Evans who has plenty to prove

1 - 9 of 9 Posts