Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it's only fair, after so many of you trashed Redick and Duhon early in the season, to give these guys their due.

Duhon's turnaround has been obvious. He's asserted himself offensively in the last 10 games and his defense and passing have been nearly flawless. His outside shooting is still suspect, but it has gotten more consistent and he's taking much better shots from outside. His leadership has really fueled this Duke team's resurgence and he has definitely played big in the big games.

Duhon is making a strong case again as a very legit NBA prospect. You can bet that Danny Ainge was at the game today to check out Duhon and Deng. You can discount his shooting if you like, but it's just too hard to overlook his maturity, his ability to run the show, make the right pass and play tough defense. And he is far and away the best physical specimen of the top PG prospects. He is a superior run/jump athlete and his long arms are enviable.

As for JJ, well I'll just say one thing: "HE IS THE PUREST SHOOTER I'VE SEEN SINCE CHRIS MULLIN" (Sorry, I couldn't resist. For those of you who watched the Duke/Wake game Dickie V must've said this at least 7 times) Anyway, when Redick started off the season cold from outside, you guys couldn't wait to trash him, saying things like Chris McCray was better than him. Every argument focused so strictly on stats, stats, stats. Well I don't think stats tell the whole story, but for those of you who do think that, here are JJ's shooting/scoring stats for the past 8 games: 41/83 FG = 49%, 26/49 3PT = 53%, 17.9 PPG. For the season, his averages are up to 44%, 41% and 15.5 PPG.

In college, much more so than the NBA, the non-"complete" players are still often among the best players. Pure shooters and scorers make big impacts, and as long as they aren't detriments elsewhere, they deserve that respect.

In JJ's case, his impact goes far beyond the stats. He pulls defenders away from the basket and makes life easier on his teammates. More importantly, his shots are MOMENTUM SHOTS. If you've watched the Duke games this year, you realize that Redick has been most responsible on offense for each critical juncture when Duke has first extended from a 2-4 point lead to a 8-10 point lead. A couple of threes on consecutive possessions and all of the sudden, BAM, Duke has a comfortable lead and never looks back.

So come on fellas, give these guys some props!?!??!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
They are playing better and Duke is as tough as better. I got tickets to the game on Wednesday actually. It should be a great game. Chris McCray is better than JJ Reddick. He is the complete player, I just wish he would shoot more. He used to fire them up when he was in high school now he is just playing scared and unselfish.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Go Duhon. He looks like his freshman year. I am happily glad to say I was wrong about him, but he was making it easy to bash him for his previous years in Durham.

As for Redick, his shooting has improved quite bit during this 11 game winning streak, but he is still a one trick pony. I hope next year he comes back with a more well-rounded game seriously.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are playing better and Duke is as tough as better. I got tickets to the game on Wednesday actually. It should be a great game. Chris McCray is better than JJ Reddick. He is the complete player, I just wish he would shoot more. He used to fire them up when he was in high school now he is just playing scared and unselfish.
There's no way McCray is better than Redick. Fact is, teams gameplan around Redick. Nobody's gameplanning around McCray. McCray does have a more all around game, but he's just not in JJ's league as a threat and overall talent. I determine who's a better player by actual impact in games, not what they "can" do, and JJ has made very significant impacts in almost every Duke game this year. He has keyed almost all of Duke's big offensive runs and I just don't think that can be underrated. He's not just scoring 15 ppg, he's scoring probably 12 momentum ppg, and those are very impactful and valuable.

That said, I really have been impressed with McCray this year. You're right though, he does need to be more assertive, because sometimes he seems to disappear. When he plays assertive he's a force to be reckoned with. I think in his final two years at Maryland we will see a guy who calls for that last shot and can carry the load offensively.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I guess we will see on Wednesday. Duke at Comcats should be a good game. I got good seats so we'll see. The thing about JJ is that its not hard to gameplan for him. Play man on man d. And put a hand in his face. Hes not gonna dribble penetrate so you can afford to play him tight. McCray's defense is what seperates him form other guys. Which is surprising because he never played a lick of it before. I think he is about a year off from being the player he can be. But he is making huge strides. I think it all depends on what you want out of our 2.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm the biggest Maryland fan in the world, but I don't have McCray being better than Redick at all. Pissed I couldn't get tickets to the game tonight. Still will enjoy it on tv though. My Terps better bring their A game. By the way, I will be extremely pissed if Mike Jones isn't our starting shooting guard next year. I hope he really gets his defense together because I think he has the skill to be one of the better scorers in the nation. I think Mike could score around 20 or so a game next season if given the time. Thing about Gary Williams though is he loves giving his older players more time.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
G-Dog, it will be interesting to see what happens next year with Jones and McCray both vying for the SG spot. I agree that Jones can be a big time scorer, though he hasn't quite shown that yet. I still think next year he will break out -- maybe not to the tune of 20 ppg -- but I think 15-17 ppg is realistic. I see Maryland doing what Duke has done with Ewing and Redick to find a way to have both McCray and Jones on the court at the same time.

Good luck tonight. It should be a great game. Even for a relative down year for Maryland, I'm scared anytime we have to walk into Comcast. This could be a let up game for Duke, after some big wins.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Duke beats Maryland!

I gotta give it up to the Terps. I expected nothing less from a well-coached, tough team. They showed real heart coming back from 14 down on a couple of occasions.

That said, I hope this game puts to rest the debate over who's better between him and McCray. It's not even close. You can try and compare the stats all you want, but you couldn't help but see the unbelievable IMPACT JJ made on the game. Clutch shot after clutch shot. Big rebounds and steals. Even took it to the hoop to shut up his doubters. And you simply can't underrate the value of having a money FT shooter in a tight game. McCray was barely noticeable. JJ Redick is by far the better PLAYER.

Duhon also showed up to play. Big plays in crunch time.

Was very impressed by the well-rounded offense of Caner-Medley. (I also noticed that he seems to travel A LOT on his first step, although sometimes it doesn't get called.)

Deng sucked my left testicle tonight. How many f-ing missed layups? Oh well, one bad night. He seemed fazed by the Maryland crowd. Didn't play with much confidence. Hope he shakes it off and comes back strong.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
if you take out second chance points on loose balls Reddick didnt have that impressive of a game. But he is clutch, I think he feeds off of angry crowds. He played a heck of a game. Momentum points as you call them were huge. Maryland was never able to really make a run. I think Duhon and Willias were the real MVP's. Duhon was just flawles when it came to calming the team down and running the offense after a MD run, he played like a true 1. I think McCray needs to sit to, he is playing scared and for a kid with the offensive talent he has he should be more willing to createhis own shot.

Reddick didnt kill MD tonight it was the second chance points. 21 offenseive RB's is just plain unacceptable. But the ball bounced Duke's way tongiht. They played to win tonight. MD played well like crap. Shelden is a force down low and will cause matchup problems for every big man in the ACC except Williams because even though he isnt apt offensively he is a presence on the defensive end.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Maryland did not play well, especially on the D rebounding end. But, that was some of the worst referreing I have ever seen. I wouldt have been surprised if you told me after the game that UMD had 30 more fouls called on them than on Duke. Though UMD didnt play well enough to win, the refs were plain horrible. And Mike Patrick is a REALLY bad announcer.

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DaFuture</b>!
if you take out second chance points on loose balls Reddick didnt have that impressive of a game.
What are you talking about? Why would you take that out? That's like saying, if you take away Duke's defensive lapses over long stretches of the game, Duke blew Maryland away.

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jmk</b>!
Maryland did not play well, especially on the D rebounding end. But, that was some of the worst referreing I have ever seen. I wouldt have been surprised if you told me after the game that UMD had 30 more fouls called on them than on Duke. Though UMD didnt play well enough to win, the refs were plain horrible. And Mike Patrick is a REALLY bad announcer.
Imagine that, a terps fan crying about the refs.

If you must, they were pretty bad both ways. Any game between Duke and Maryland is going to be intense and physical, and I thought the refs were calling the game way too close (both ways). Do you remember the end of the first half when they were calling Duke for everything? Do you remember when Duke was called for 3 offensive fouls in a span of about 2 minutes?

No, of course you don't. You only remember the calls that went against Maryland.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Originally posted by <b>The Truth</b>!

Imagine that, a terps fan crying about the refs.

If you must, they were pretty bad both ways. Any game between Duke and Maryland is going to be intense and physical, and I thought the refs were calling the game way too close (both ways). Do you remember the end of the first half when they were calling Duke for everything? Do you remember when Duke was called for 3 offensive fouls in a span of about 2 minutes?

No, of course you don't. You only remember the calls that went against Maryland.
Pleae, if youre going to be *****y, keep your thoughts to yourself. I wasnt crying about anything. If you actually read the post, I said they didnt play well enough to win. And being that you wrote such a *****y post, I am assuming you are a Duke fan. Possibly even a Cameron Crazy nerd?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
The refs werent great but it wasnt anything to cry about. A lot of close calls against md early in the second half and a couple of no calls on over the back rebounds. But nothing that changed the game.

JJ hit at least 4 threes where a teammate hit him after a mad scramble for a loose ball when the defense collapse. Duke did a good job of finding him in these situations. I think Duhon and Williams were the best players for Duke last night.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The officiating was just fine. It's the Maryland crowd that's a problem. They are single-handedly the WHINIEST crowd in all of sports. The cried "foul" on way too many plays where there wasn't even contact. Normally home fans' boos, when warranted, are good for a couple make-up calls, but the Maryland fans just had no credibility with the refs.

The worst non-call of the game was when Ewing and some Terp were making a play for the ball at the sideline late in the game. Ewing had the inside path and was about to grab the ball when he got leveled by the Terp. Ewing touched it last and rather than call the foul they just gave the ball to Maryland. That was one of the clearest fouls I've seen -- it was well beyond what you can allow for "incidental contact." -- but I didn't hear the Maryland fans complaining about that one.

Nope, that wasn't a foul, but I can remember twice on contestable rebounds when Deng had clear position, and though there was contact, the Maryland fans *****ed loudly. I mean, he had position and he ended up with the rebound -- if there was any foul it would've been on Maryland.

I think Maryland fans just see what they wanna see. The boxscore shows the foul tally was 19 for UM to 16 for Duke. Considering UM had to take fouls at the end, I'd say it was called pretty evenly.

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
The worst was when Caner-Medley hacked someone (I can't remember who took the shot) across the arm while he was taking a shot on the baseline. The replay showed that Caner-Medley did not even touch the ball and got all arm, but the crowd went crazy when the call was made.

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DaFuture</b>!

JJ hit at least 4 threes where a teammate hit him after a mad scramble for a loose ball when the defense collapse. Duke did a good job of finding him in these situations. I think Duhon and Williams were the best players for Duke last night.
But you have to understand, Duke uses those situations to get JJ good looks. JJ is always the focus of the other team's defense. The best way to get him open looks is on a broken down play or a loose ball, because his defender may lose sight of him. In any game, each team is going to have a certain number of broken down plays. If you watch Duke, every time they recover a loose ball in their half-court offense, they automatically look to Redick.

You can't just say it was luck. Duke knows how to take advantage of loose ball situations and get Redick wide open looks.

And you are wrong about him hitting 4 threes on broken down plays. It wasn't that many. In the first half he was just hitting them from 25+ feet out.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I must have missed it seeing as how i was about 3 rows up from the court.:rolleyes:

Like I said. Duke did a good job of finding him in those situations. The game was called pretty evenly my problem was the inconsistency and timing. Maryland had 5 fouls in the first 5 minutes of the second half. The refs had not effect on the game.
Duke won!

Duke fans talking about refs? Now thats rich! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seeing as how almost every Duke game is reffed by 2/3 of Hess, Edsall, or Rose.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts