Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To begin a note to all:

Its spelled Krstic. Not, Kristic, or Krystic, but Krstic. Short, simple, to the point, just like our man's game. No extra frills.

Anyway, I think Nenad, despite his lack of freakish athletic ability or super-length or bulk, has become our best straight up post player since DC. Yes, he's pretty much at the level of KMart in 1v1 back to the basket post offense, thanks to his size, excellent mobility, IQ, and skill. Just in one or two months, we've seen a massive improvement in that department. His midrange jumper is tons better, but also his handling and post moves are much better. He's learned to go left a lot more and its helping his game drastically. He's realized that he can't go over the opposition like he did in Europe so he's getting his shot blocked less. He's shown a great handle for a 7 footer, and his hands, as usual, have been great.

So give the ball inside and let the big man work. How many times when the ball has been swung has he been left in great position only to have someone else launch an ill-advised shot?

Even if he doesn't score, the inside presence opens things up for the rest of the team, releases some pressure. Defenders hang low, knowing the ball might go inside giving our smalls more room to work with.

This has all been reflected in his +/- Roland rating, which is best on the team in the last month I believe. Tonight he was something crazy like +30. 1st quarter was close until he went out due to Pacers hot shooting, and the lead grew in the second quarter when he wasn't playing etc.

Reactions: SeaNet

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Rollydog said:
To begin a note to all:

Its spelled Krstic. Not, Kristic, or Krystic, but Krstic. Short, simple, to the point, just like our man's game. No extra frills.
Holy Crap, that's right. I thought it was Kristic, but it is Krstic.

So while I'm at it, a small language lesson. In Serbian/Croation/Bosnian Krst means Cross.

Interesting. Crossic. :rofl:

·
Legal Smeagol
30,760 Posts
Nets pulled away a bit when he scored a few in the 4th... they should still establish him early, and not forget about him for long stretches.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Krstic All Star said:
Nets pulled away a bit when he scored a few in the 4th... they should still establish him early, and not forget about him for long stretches.
Think about how often the Nets went down to Martin in the post. And Krstic is as good if not slightly better than KMart in those situations.

ALSO, Frank, for the love of god, give him more minutes.

No more Veal.

·
Legal Smeagol
30,760 Posts
Rollydog said:
Think about how often the Nets went down to Martin in the post. And Krstic is as good if not slightly better than KMart in those situations.

ALSO, Frank, for the love of god, give him more minutes.

No more Veal.

Absolutely. And when K-Mart used to fall in love with his outside jumper, the Nets suffered. Krstic genuinely seems to enjoy being a back to the basket player. Hook shots, short jumpers, spin moves.....just what a big man should do well.

And Frank HAS to resist the allure of playing Cliff Robinson at Krstic's expense....Robinson's not that great of a defender, despite what people say, and another three point shooting big is not what the Nets need - they have Mr. Scalabrine for that, should they want it.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
I thought it was weird Krstic didn't get more minutes even though he only had 3 fouls tonight, he was very productive in the post.

Maybe there is something we are missing?

-Petey

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Petey said:
I thought it was weird Krstic didn't get more minutes even though he only had 3 fouls tonight, he was very productive in the post.

Maybe there is something we are missing?

-Petey
Frank is having a love affair with Collins and Robinson.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Rollydog said:
Frank is having a love affair with Collins and Robinson.
Maybe limiting his minutes to keep him fresh for the post season. Krstic does play professional level basketball all year round.

-Petey

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Petey said:
Maybe limiting his minutes to keep him fresh for the post season. Krstic does play professional level basketball all year round.

-Petey
That's a definate possibility, but Frank usually doesn't hold off on playing guys until the complain to the media (Kidd). Still there might be something going on that we don't know about or isn't visable.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Over the last 8 games, Krstic is averaging 13.4 ppg on 60% shooting and 76.3% free throw shooting in an average of 27.6 minutes. He is taking 8 shots per game and averaging 3.5 personal fouls per game.

Sounds about right.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
NetIncome said:
Over the last 8 games, Krstic is averaging 13.4 ppg on 60% shooting and 76.3% free throw shooting in an average of 27.6 minutes. He is taking 8 shots per game and averaging 3.5 personal fouls per game.

Sounds about right.
Dont overrate krstic guys. He is doing what we ask him to. And he will stay that way for us. And when RJ comes back, Frank needs to know you dont run plays for RJ anymore. Let him get his points within the flow of the game.

If ur offense is going by Jason Kidd early offense first, then Carter halfcourt offsense when Kidd didnt like what he saw on the break, then you have RJ upgrade over anyone on the rosters right now playing the weakside spot shooter and finisher, we will have a dangerous team.

I wish we can have a athletic big man so we can play Krstic off the bench. We can get to the ECF easily!

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
John said:
Dont overrate krstic guys. He is doing what we ask him to. And he will stay that way for us. And when RJ comes back, Frank needs to know you dont run plays for RJ anymore. Let him get his points within the flow of the game.

If ur offense is going by Jason Kidd early offense first, then Carter halfcourt offsense when Kidd didnt like what he saw on the break, then you have RJ upgrade over anyone on the rosters right now playing the weakside spot shooter and finisher, we will have a dangerous team.

I wish we can have a athletic big man so we can play Krstic off the bench. We can get to the ECF easily!
Collins over Krstic? No way...

Even if there was an athletic big, Krstic would start.

-Petey

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Petey said:
Collins over Krstic? No way...

Even if there was an athletic big, Krstic would start.

-Petey
Krstic would be effective against some second unit defenders in the NBA if u want to actually go to him.

So he can be like Kukoc where Phil Jackson would throw him out whenever he sees the matchup he sees.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
John said:
Krstic would be effective against some second unit defenders in the NBA if u want to actually go to him.

So he can be like Kukoc where Phil Jackson would throw him out whenever he sees the matchup he sees.
I disagree (he should definatly be starting). I know Krstic isn't someone that you give the ball to the whole game like a Duncan or Shaq, because he's just a rookie. But we definately need to atleast try to establish him early in games, it'll help Carter and Kidd if he can get a few points in the paint. I dunno how, but he got 15 points today off limited minutes and touches. His potential just leaves me :banana:

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Great post up top Rollydog. What I love most of all is that he's learning from his earlier mistakes. On the play where Dale Davis tried to pull the chair out from under him, he kept his balance, adjusted and made the jump hook on the other side of the lane. Earlier this year, KG did that to him, and he fell on his ***. He's learning how to blend power and finesse. That is the key to becoming a great low post player.

As for his minutes. I think Frank is trying to keep him both fresh and out of foul trouble. I think Nenad gets winded out there after a while, and that makes him both less effective and more foul prone. Also, I think Frank is trying to get him out of the game before he picks up the foul that necessitates a trip to the bench, as opposed to earlier in the season. This way when he goes to the bench, its not on a negative, and when he comes back into the game he can be aggressive, wo/ having to fear that on his next foul he's going to be headed back to the bench. I like it. And I think its making a difference in Nenad's play out there. Plus we know he's gonna be in there late in the game because Frank is keeping him on a shorter foul leash.

Edit - I should add Rollydog, that my only complaint (and its more of a stylistic one) is that the title of your thread should have been "Give Krstic the DAMN Ball!!!!" ;)

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I was thinking about opening a post like this.......

What worries me is that the Nets' game plan is really predictable. 1st qtr they go to Krstic no matter what, he scored a bucket, then got fouled an made the free throws. After that, it goes back to isolating Vince or posting up Kidd against smaller guards and using Krstic to set picks for Cater.

During the 4th qtr of tonights game, there were 3 consecutive plays starting with Nenad going inside by pretty much blowing by Davis, then they went back to him on the right corner and he kicked the ball out to Carter for a jumper. Then the alley op by Best I think with Kidd blocking out.

One thing I noticed is that no one seems to pass the ball when he's cutting to the basket(most of the time he's wide open but doesn't get the ball). Also if Frank ran sum type of motion offense, or penciled Kristic at the top of the key using cutters to open the floor for Carter, that would be quite effective IMO.

Reactions: Petey and SeaNet

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Sad Mafioso said:
I was thinking about opening a post like this.......

What worries me is that the Nets' game plan is really predictable. 1st qtr they go to Krstic no matter what, he scored a bucket, then got fouled an made the free throws. After that, it goes back to isolating Vince or posting up Kidd against smaller guards and using Krstic to set picks for Cater.

During the 4th qtr of tonights game, there were 3 consecutive plays starting with Nenad going inside by pretty much blowing by Davis, then they went back to him on the right corner and he kicked the ball out to Carter for a jumper. Then the alley op by Best I think with Kidd blocking out.

One thing I noticed is that no one seems to pass the ball when he's cutting to the basket(most of the time he's wide open but doesn't get the ball). Also if Frank ran sum type of motion offense, or penciled Kristic at the top of the key using cutters to open the floor for Carter, that would be quite effective IMO.
Absolutely. Our old motion offense sets would have been perfect for Krstic, but it's not a easy offense to learn, play into in the middle of a year. It's something I hope Frank works with him on over the summer.

-Petey

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
aquaitious said:
Holy Crap, that's right. I thought it was Kristic, but it is Krstic.

So while I'm at it, a small language lesson. In Serbian/Croation/Bosnian Krst means Cross.

Interesting. Crossic. :rofl:
thanx for sharing that. in polish, cross is krzysz, which is similar to krst.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts