Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the new SI, on page 30 they have a quote by Glen Grunwald:

Raptors GM, on the status of his star player:

"I'm not trading Vince Carter. That is, unless he suffers a career-ending injury. Then he would be available."

YIKES! Comments?

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
I'm pretty sure it was a joke. A career-ending would, well, end Vince's career. Why wouldn't Grunwald want to get something for him at that point. ;)

Anyways I'm glad to see Grunwald won't do anything stupid and trade him. I seem to remember the last time a star player was injured and his team did pretty well. The fans and the media started to wonder if the team was better off without that player. I'm talking about Ewing and the Knicks. The Knicks traded their best player ever and are still paying crap contracts as a result. Hey at least it gave the Lakers a team to dump Travis Knight on. :D

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly!
One could take this in two ways:

1) Glen is not reasoning too well, if it is career-ending, nobody would trade for him in the forst place.

2) Glen means that no way - ever will he trade Vince and Glen's reasoning is that Vince will retire a Raptor! :)

I tend to go with #2 !!

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
Interesting that he has shut the door on any move regarding Vince...

Isn't Carter a free agent after next season? They better extend his contract!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ron said:
Interesting that he has shut the door on any move regarding Vince...

Isn't Carter a free agent after next season? They better extend his contract!
I think they extended it last summer, Ron. Vince is going to retire as a Raptor - if Glen has any say-so in the matter. :)

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
:sleep: :eek:

Damn, I should have known that...makes me look stupid! :eek:

No wonder he was so committed to the "no trade Vince" platform.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm happy to hear that trading Vince is a jokeable assumtion with Glen. In no way should/ or is even considering this, which makes him a very smart man.

The quote was obviously a joke, and I hope all parties see it that way. And hope this doesn't become anything more then that.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Just for arguments sake, what do you think the Raptors could get for Vince if they were to shop him? Or even better, what would they want for him.

I know that he'll be staying, but just for conversation...

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shaqs big toe said:
Just for arguments sake, what do you think the Raptors could get for Vince if they were to shop him? Or even better, what would they want for him.

I know that he'll be staying, but just for conversation...
Just for conversation.......... they'd have to want Tim Duncan. :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
They would need someone like AI because their team is structured around Vince and he takes most of the shots. The teams are similar both have had superstars or very good players in the past(raps-camby, Stoudamire, Tmac, Christie???) Sixers(Tim Thomas, Larry Hughes, Stackhouse). None of those players fit well in the structyure of the team. Granted Camby and Stoudamire were before Vince played there but it still proves my point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts