Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hurray Harry!!

Metro pg E9 from the O

Telling the truth in Harry's own way. PA created this problem and now wants others to bail him out.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Great read. I hope it's more than Harry coming to the defense of his baby Marshal

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
There's no defense for the ineptness of his son - yet another argument against nepotism.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Would have been more honest if he hadn't used 'we' to take credit for everything up to 1995, with the sole exception of the terms of the RG deal. Didn't he sell the team to Allen in 1988?

I don't have a problem with Harry sticking up for his kid. However, his conclusion seems to agree with Allen - public involvement is needed to keep the team.

barfo

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Best part of the column:

In return, the Portland community should expect a new owner who will be the caretaker of the community's franchise, whose mission is to make Portland proud. If they do that, the financial part will take care of itself.
-Pop

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
RipCity9 said:
There's no defense for the ineptness of his son - yet another argument against nepotism.
Great point...Marshall is totally inept...as I recall he ran "Portland Family Entertainment" (group that managed Civic Stadium for awhile) into the ground as well.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
barfo said:
....... Didn't he sell the team to Allen in 1988? barfo
No, that was the owner Larry Weinberg. Harry Glickman was the founder and President of the organization.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
SodaPopinski said:
Best part of the column:
But is it true? The NBA is a lot different now than when Glickman ran the team, and as much as we'd like to think that we should simply have a nice team that wins and makes the community proud, the reality is that almost every NBA team received public assistance.

Maybe he means that the city would take care of the team the same way other teams are taken care of...

Ed O.

·
Registered
373 Posts
the reality is that almost every NBA team received public assistance.
Yes, received public assistance in funding new arenas. For the Blazers this is over a decade too late....that horse has long left the barn. With the arena built (and not owned by the city) and the Blazers locked into a lease, that comparison is pointless.

Maybe he means that the city would take care of the team the same way other teams are taken care of...
How are other NBA teams "taken care of"? The only kind of "public assistance" the Blazers could now benefit from would be something like the government either just writing a check or buying unsold tickets...(which I believe is being done in New Orleans and San Diego for the NFL teams.). Other than governments building new arenas (which isn't possible here), how are other NBA team's being helped?

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
NBAGOD said:
Yes, received public assistance in funding new arenas. For the Blazers this is over a decade too late....that horse has long left the barn. With the arena built (and not owned by the city) and the Blazers locked into a lease, that comparison is pointless.
It absolutely is NOT pointless. NBA teams seek public assistance to build private buildings as a regular course, it seems to me. Or they receive rent-free tenancy from city-owned buildings and cuts of revenues generated from concessions and/or parking.

The city of Portland helping in the form of payments to help cover the debt on the building, or being a joint purchaser of the building with Paul Allen, or even buying the building and then working with the Blazers as a tenant, is entirely consistent with the spirit of assistance offered by other cities.

How are other NBA teams "taken care of"? The only kind of "public assistance" the Blazers could now benefit from would be something like the government either just writing a check or buying unsold tickets...(which I believe is being done in New Orleans and San Diego for the NFL teams.). Other than governments building new arenas (which isn't possible here), how are other NBA team's being helped?
It's all about money. About subsidies. It doesn't matter if it's helping to build the arena in the first place, or building it and then letting the team use it on the cheap, or just writing a check every month. It's all the same thing, with the exception of different levels of incentive for the team to invest/participate. I'm confident that if the city were willing to spend money on the Blazers then they'd be able to protect their interests.

Ed O.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
NBAGOD said:
Do some research, there have been numerous articles about it lately. What part of "the Trail Blazers are the only NBA team that get zero public assistance" dont you understand?

·
Registered
373 Posts
It absolutely is NOT pointless. NBA teams seek public assistance to build private buildings as a regular course, it seems to me. Or they receive rent-free tenancy from city-owned buildings and cuts of revenues generated from concessions and/or parking.
Again, my point is that this doesn't apply to the Blazers because their building is already built and it is privately owned. The city can't give rent free tennantcy or cuts of revenues that they don't have.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
NBAGOD said:
Again, my point is that this doesn't apply to the Blazers because their building is already built and it is privately owned. The city can't give rent free tennantcy or cuts of revenues that they don't have.
As I noted elsewhere in my post, presumably the city is in a position to either buy the building or assist the Blazers in purchasing it.

Ed O.

·
Registered
373 Posts
What part of "the Trail Blazers are the only NBA team that get zero public assistance" dont you understand?
Thanks for your kind words, but having worked for NBA teams for the better part of the past 20 years I know that not to be true.....and in 99% of the cases where it is true, it applies to arena construction costs.....not subsidizing the team on an ongoing operating basis. That was my only point....but I guess both Harry Glickman and I need to brush up on our knowledge of the business.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
NBAGOD said:
Thanks for your kind words, but having worked for NBA teams for the better part of the past 20 years I know that not to be true.....and in 99% of the cases where it is true, it applies to arena construction costs.....not subsidizing the team on an ongoing operating basis. That was my only point....but I guess both Harry Glickman and I need to brush up on our knowledge of the business.
Please inform us what other NBA teams get zero public assistance like the Trail Blazers?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Please inform us what other NBA teams get zero public assistance like the Trail Blazers?
Depends on what you mean by "public assistance". In terms of governments undertaking some or all of the costs of arena construction, there are many. In terms of govermnents writing checks to offset losses caused by gross management incompetence, I don't think there are any.

Personally I have worked for two NBA teams that haven't received any public assistance...and I know that one is quite profitable (and I'm pretty sure the other one does OK also).

In this situation, with the arena already built, the arena now privately owned and an agreement in place binding the Blazers to Portland for 20 more years, the team has very little leverage. Teams usually get sweatheart deals if the alternative is losing the team (Seahawks) or luring a team that they don't already have (New Orleans....Charlotte....OKC).

Combine all that with massive public opinion against them, the team at 30 year lows in attendance and in the win/loss column and Uncle Paul's in quite a bind. Kind of like what Harry Glickman said, the Blazers dug this hole, and they'll probably have to dig themselves out.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
I asked for a list of teams who have NOT received any public assistance, regardless of if it was for arena construction costs. Fill me in.

I doubt the Trail Blazers would be in this big of a financial mess if the city hadnt said "NO" to help with funding the cost of the Rose Garden.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to pass the blame. The Trail Blazers organization made some bad decisions in the past, especially when it comes to player salarys.

·
Registered
922 Posts
BEER&BASKETBALL said:
I asked for a list of teams who have NOT received any public assistance, regardless of if it was for arena construction costs. Fill me in.

I doubt the Trail Blazers would be in this big of a financial mess if the city hadnt said "NO" to help with funding the cost of the Rose Garden.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to pass the blame. The Trail Blazers organization made some bad decisions in the past, especially when it comes to player salarys.
What kind of assistance to you want? Do you want to throw tax payer money to this group? This is the same group who thought it was a good decision to fire Adelman, PJ, Dunleavy, and Mo, all of who are coaching teams in the playoff race. Do you want to throw money at a group who traded for JR Rider, Shawn Kemp, Bonzi Wells and drafted such luminaries as Eric Barkley, Qyntel Woods, Travis Outlaw, and other winners? I say hell no. Paul Allen wanted to get the Rose Garden built using as little of his own money as possible. He made some very risky deals and they have all failed. He has brought in a bunch of born losers to run this franchise and has completely lost the faith of this city.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.