Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peddie, Babcock being let go?

The Globe and Mail reported in Friday's edition that Richard Peddie, president and chief executive officer of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, and Raptors general manager Rob Babcock are being targeted by MLSE board members. One unnamed source told the Globe and Mail the two men are ''dead men walking.''
http://tsn.ca/nba/news_story.asp?ID=120817&hubName=nba

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Peddie, Babcock being let go?

I really do hope that this is not true. By the time MLSE is done rebuilding this team we will have gone through all of the coaches in the NBA. We don't need another rookie GM for next year - stick with Babcock.

·
Fear The Red
8,910 Posts

Slasher said:
I really do hope that this is not true. By the time MLSE is done rebuilding this team we will have gone through all of the coaches in the NBA. We don't need another rookie GM for next year - stick with Babcock.
:yes: however I dont care if they let Peddie go, tanenbaum knows more about basketball then he does

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts

Curious report. If both of them were fired, you have to figure Mitchell would go, too.

However, I'm inclined to think this is BS.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts

I hope they fire Peddie or at least take him off the raps job and let him focus on th leafs

·
Registered
295 Posts

It would be an error to fire Babcock and Mitchell now. Sure they both are rookies and they made some mistakes, but they were hired knowing that they were rookies. It's time MLSE take their responsabilities, you went for rookies, live with it. Anyways everyone agrees that Grunwald left a big big mess behind him and that even Joe Dumars could not have right the ship in only one year. The fault is on the person who hired Babs & Sam in the first place ... live with it or fire the guy who hired them. The Raptors need stability around their current players ...

·
Registered
247 Posts

This would create massive instability and would make it impossible to recruit top-flight GMs and head coaches in the future. Four head coaches in four years? Eeek.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts

Theberge43 said:
It would be an error to fire Babcock and Mitchell now. Sure they both are rookies and they made some mistakes, but they were hired knowing that they were rookies. It's time MLSE take their responsabilities, you went for rookies, live with it. Anyways everyone agrees that Grunwald left a big big mess behind him and that even Joe Dumars could not have right the ship in only one year. The fault is on the person who hired Babs & Sam in the first place ... live with it or fire the guy who hired them. The Raptors need stability around their current players ...
Agree

·
Registered
217 Posts

This article is a crock of (NOPE) I just wish the Toronto media would get out of this downward spiral of negativism and hate for the Raptors organization.

Taking a catchy line like "dead men walking" and attributing it to some flunky at MLSE is just the worst kind of yellow journalism imaginable. If you read the rest of the article, it is just a transparently contrived effort to combine the unhappiness of the organization with the poor season by the Raptors with the loss of revenue MLSE is suffering due to the hockey strike and make it look like they are blaming it on Peddie and Babcock.

The legitimate quotes in the article make it pretty clear that no-one is blaming Peddie and Babcock for these problems.

Its just frustrating and disappointing that the Raptors fan has to deal with this garbage all the time. Its bad enough that the team played such a horrible game against the Grizz the other night - we have to sort through this kind of drivel. I mean, if I believed what was read about this team in the Toronto papers, I wouldn't give them the time of day, much less watch them on TV or go to their games. This kind of writing is just malicious and, eventually, self-defeating. I certainly won't be buying the Globe and Mail again any time soon ....

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

Theberge43 said:
Can't be arsed to read the article since it's most probably just BS. But I've got to agree with this. The team needs stability that's for sure, after so many changes to the front office and coaching scene.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts

remember the dreaded 'unnamed sources' hinted that Vince would demand a trade? people went ballistic, and said the sources were ushers and cashiers, and stopped buying newspapers lol (wasn't it the Globe that broke that story)

·
Registered
209 Posts

I also call bs but i would like to see both Babs and Peddie out of the loop, they've already done enough damage to the franchise

if anyone has raptors tv and seen the program where they go behind the scenes of the raptors draft, it's no surprise these clowns picked arujo

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

Primetime23 said:
I also call bs but i would like to see both Babs and Peddie out of the loop, they've already done enough damage to the franchise

if anyone has raptors tv and seen the program where they go behind the scenes of the raptors draft, it's no surprise these clowns picked arujo
For the last time, Babs wasn't given enough time to prepare for the draft. He had to use Grunwald's scouting. For crying out loud how many times do I have to repeat this...

I wouldn't mind seeing Peddie gone, but if Peddie left I wouldn't think Babs would be too far behind.

I don't know whats with all this hate towards Babs, though. Its like all our fans expected the Raptors to lead the Eastern conference or something. This was a rebuild job. The problems we have encountered are typical of the situation the Raptors are in.

ARG!!!! I can't wait until the season is over so the general public and media will forget about the Raptors for a while.

·
Registered
603 Posts

I don't mind seeing Peddie go at all....but they can't give up on Babcock and Mitchell now. This wasn't meant to be a year where the raps did well, it's a rebuilding phase. If they came in and brought in vets to take them to the playoffs (Grunwald style), and this season ended up like this, then that is a different story. But this was not supposed to be a winning team. I understand that this had a lot to do with all the drama going on too, but this is Toronto, it doesn't matter what sport you're playing or how good the team is...this city loves stirring ****.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts

Budweiser_Boy said:
To fire Babcock after ONE YEAR of being GM would be ridiculous.
Would you rather fire him 3 years from now when it is more clear he is clueless and has no business as GM? By then, it will be too late.. Bosh will be in his prime, and you would be to where you are this year.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Complete stupidity.

People say the Raptors are the laughing stock of the league, but if we fired Peddie, Babcock and presumably Mitchell (both rookies) THEN we would really be the laughing stock of the league.

How bad would MLSE look if this happened? As a player I wouldn't want to come here knowing that I could have 3 different general managers and coaches in a brief stint in Toronto.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts

Several sources with close ties to MLSE say the two men likely face job performance reviews at season's end.
Wow, what a newsflash... company employees facing employee evaluations. And for sure, there will be some negative evaluations, but I doubt there will be any firings, especially after only one season

This seems like just another headline grabing, sensationalistic story that comes out when there isn't anything good to write about the team

·
Registered
209 Posts

last two posts both have really good points, we're in a tight spot right now, Babs has made some horrible decisions (bring the hate) but if we let him go we will be the clippers the north of the border

no choice but to hold onto Babcock for atleast another year

1 - 20 of 31 Posts