1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
RiderRaver said:
Bye Bye Manhattan, a major hit to their recruiting.
We'll see.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Congrats to BG while his style is not my favorite you have to admire the results. I just wish some posters here would have a little more class, it will be a hit to MC but He has left them in a good position to move forward.

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
congratulations to Bobby Gonzalez

I say congratulations to Bobby Gonzalez. Well done you deserve this shot at the big time, I am confident you will do well. Again Well-done Bobby. Manhattan fans were very lucky to have Bobby for 7 seasons

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Re: congratulations to Bobby Gonzalez

SienaTony said:
I say congratulations to Bobby Gonzalez. Well done you deserve this shot at the big time, I am confident you will do well. Again Well-done Bobby. Manhattan fans were very lucky to have Bobby for 7 seasons
Tony, i guess this was a special job for bobby. I will take my crow puree'd, shaken, not stirred.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is a pretty big slap in the face to St. Johns. If my memory serves me correctly (and it may not), but didn't Gonzalez pass up the chance to take the position at St. Johns after his tournament run in 2004? Basically it was thought that he didn't take it because St. Johns wasn't a big enough program.

Now, two years later, he takes a job with Seton Hall, which while a great step for Gonzalez is not a major major program. Basically, what he is saying is that St. Johns was not good enough for me, but Seton Hall is just fine.

I agree that the Hall is currently a better job, but is it that much bigger than St. Johns for the long term, so much so that he would pass one up but take the other?

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I agree - best of luck to Gonzo. We've given him a lot of crap over the years but the guy is a flat-out winner. If he does well at Seton Hall - that's good for the MAAC. I think St. John's has a major problem on their hands now that Gonzo can sell the Big East when recruiting the city kids.

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Congrats Bobby

Anytime a coach does as well as Bobby has for Manhattan, you just have to tip your hat to Bobby and say thanks if you are a Manhattan fan. He was there for 7 seasons and left you in much better shape than Manhattan was when he arrived.

Anytime a coach can do his jobs under the bright lights of the Big East, you can’t blame him for taking a shot at the big time. I am confident that Bobby will do a good job at the Hall, in fact I think he will be a major thorn in the side of St John’s who will be cursing the day they passed on Bobby

·
Registered
209 Posts
JCKid said:
Gonzalez was the best coach in the league, both in game and recruiting.

Here's hoping Manhattan picks a dud!
Don't count on it...Bob Byrnes track record in hiring coaches is pretty good (other than John Leonard who was one of our own)...If Fraschilla returns as has been speculated, we may not miss a beat...if not...the cupboard is not exactly bare and Manhattan is considered a very desirable mid-major job.

We took a hit today...but it was bound to happen eventually, and should have happened before now.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
He can be a pain-in-the-*** but Gonzo is a great coach and good for him getting the Seton Hall job. He'll have them in the NCAAs within two years and the sweet 16 within 4-5 years. The guy is an awesome recruiter and very good bench coach.

It will be interesting to see who Manhattan goes after and if they have any roster defections. Will it impact CJA coming back next year? How about their new recruits? Does Fraschilla want to come back and would they bring him back?

The MAAC now has three openings (Fairfield, Canisius, Manhattan) and possibly a fourth in SPC. What is taking Canisius and FF so long and is Leckie staying or go?

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
This is an important hire for Manhattan. The pressure is on to keep their momentum going.

The new coach's first task will be to keep Gonzo from taking any of his three super juniors-to-be with him to SHU.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I was able to sit behind the Manhattan bench a couple of times at the Pepsi. Watching Gonzo gyrate like a top one second, then take control of his emotions and instruct a player or lay out some strategy the next was kind of amazing. The kids seemed to really like him, or at least buy in because the results were worth it.

The Jaspers and the MAAC will miss him, at least for a while, whether folks want to admit it or not.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Anderson and Dubois could play in the Big East. Xavier could probably as a role player. Of course, they need player period so he'd take anybody off his roster he could probably.

For Manhattan's sake I hope they don't lose any players but I'd be lying to see I'd lose sleep over it because lets face it Siena's chances just went up on winning the conference (Marist still is fave) Losing players sucks as Siena found out when McClinton transfered last year.

I'd say Fraschilla at Manhattan has a good chance of happening.

·
Registered
105 Posts
As a Jasper fan, I've been happy to have Bobby at the helm for 7 seasons. I wish him well, and as a guy with a great work ethic, he will do very well at SHU.

At our level, you gotta hope your coach does what BG has done. And while you know that makes Manhattan a stepping stone, you just gotta hope that while he's here, he takes your team on a great ride. Bobby sure did that.

Byrnes will pick the right guy. It's a good job, so I'm sure there will be some real good candidates to choose from.

·
Registered
170 Posts
First of all, just about every Manhattan fan is happy for Bobby and wishes him the best at SHU.

It would be a shame if anyone on the current Manhattan roster were to transfer, but that stuff happens. I don't think Bobby is going to poach anyone from the team. He owes much of what he has to Manhattan...and Bob Byrnes in particular.

If Bobby were to take CJ, Artie, or X-man to SHU, it would severely damage his legacy in Riverdale...maybe he doesn't care about that, but I think he does.

Now when it comes to recruits, that's a different story...he may take some along with him, and I think that they are fair game.

Manhattan will get a good coach - my guess is Fraschilla simply because Fairfield has been in a holding pattern, ostensibly waiting for Fran to see how the Manhattan situation played itself out.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
It should be a lot of fun to watch Gonzo against Hill in NJ, then throw in St John's, Whittenburg at Fordham, and the MAAC has done an excellent job recruiting the 2nd tier area players and there should be a lot of real good basketball in the area over the next few years...

As for Gonzo, he certainly earned the right to move on, he has certainly left MC w/ more than "Durelle Brown and a bag of basketballs."

I agree w/ Veal: "If Bobby were to take CJ, Artie, or X-man to SHU, it would severely damage his legacy in Riverdale...maybe he doesn't care about that, but I think he does.

Now when it comes to recruits, that's a different story...he may take some along with him, and I think that they are fair game."

MacDog seems to know more about Brewer than any of us here, and I imagine Gonzalez would consider taking him to the Hall, since Brewer hasn't signed anything yet. Don't know if he can play in the Big East though; the Hall needs a PG.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.