Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this surfing the web...

Link

<b>A humorous anecdote that I couldn't figure out how to fit it in with a chapter.</b>

When I was President of the New Jersey Nets, our General Manager drafted a player from Nigeria. His name was Yinka Dare. In his rookie year, he played only three minutes and took only one shot. It was an airball. It took him one and a half seasons to get his first assist in the NBA. Think about that for a minute. If you placed a dead man on the court during an NBA game, he would probably get an assist before Yinka got one. After all, a ball might bounce off of the body into the hands of a teammate for an easy score.

Early in Yinka's rookie season, he was warming up with the team before a game against the Minnesota Timberwolves. Yinka asked our second string center, Jayson Williams, a question. Yinka pointed to Christian Laettner, the 6-11 forward of the Timberwolves. "What does the 'C' stand for on Christian Laettner's jersey?" Dare asked in British style English. He was referring, of course, to the letter 'C' that is stitched onto the jersey of the player who is the team Captain.

"Caucasian," Williams answered. Laettner was one of the few white players in the NBA. Yinka nodded his head; it made sense to him.

Benoit Benjamin, our big 7-foot center overheard this. After Yinka ran off to take his turn in the lay-up drill, Benoit said to Jayson, "That Dare is really stupid. He thinks Caucasian begins with a 'C' instead of a 'K'."

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Haha, wow, that is like gold.

-Petey

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
reganomics813 said:
I found this surfing the web...

Link

<b>A humorous anecdote that I couldn't figure out how to fit it in with a chapter.</b>

When I was President of the New Jersey Nets, our General Manager drafted a player from Nigeria. His name was Yinka Dare. In his rookie year, he played only three minutes and took only one shot. It was an airball. It took him one and a half seasons to get his first assist in the NBA. Think about that for a minute. If you placed a dead man on the court during an NBA game, he would probably get an assist before Yinka got one. After all, a ball might bounce off of the body into the hands of a teammate for an easy score.

Early in Yinka's rookie season, he was warming up with the team before a game against the Minnesota Timberwolves. Yinka asked our second string center, Jayson Williams, a question. Yinka pointed to Christian Laettner, the 6-11 forward of the Timberwolves. "What does the 'C' stand for on Christian Laettner's jersey?" Dare asked in British style English. He was referring, of course, to the letter 'C' that is stitched onto the jersey of the player who is the team Captain.

"Caucasian," Williams answered. Laettner was one of the few white players in the NBA. Yinka nodded his head; it made sense to him.

Benoit Benjamin, our big 7-foot center overheard this. After Yinka ran off to take his turn in the lay-up drill, Benoit said to Jayson, "That Dare is really stupid. He thinks Caucasian begins with a 'C' instead of a 'K'."

The real message here is that Jayson Williams, Benoit Benjamin and Kenny Anderson [who publicly called Dare "Yinka Stinka"] were dreadful human beings and teammates. That team with those guys and Derrick Coleman and Chris Morris were as bad a group of human being as could have been assembled. It should have surprised no one that Benjamin and Morris were at the Williams house the night he killed the limo driver.

PS Michael Rowe was just as dreadful a team president as Nash was a GM. When he signed Calipari to a contract, he forgot to include a standard provision in it. Normally, if a team fires a coach, the team's financial commitment to the coach ends if he gets a new job. Rowe didnt include that in the original contract and then tried to get Calipari to renegotiate. Calipari refused. So when after being let go by the Nets, Calipari joined Larry Brown as an assistant and later went to Memphis, he was still being paid by the Nets.

Good riddance to all those guys...and remember, the good die young.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought this was postworthy for a couple reasons. First, because I figured the board was in need of a good lighthearted pick me up, I mean come on who doesn't like laughing at the expense of Benoit Benjamin. Secondly as NetIncome pointed out look at what we used to be and what we are now. Despite our weakenesses, we've come a long way baby so lets try to enjoy this squad while we can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts