Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But it all really started to shift for Roy this summer, when he went to a psychologist. It was during a session when Roy said he had an 'ah-ha' moment regarding his relationship with Miller.

"It was a big thing for me when I realized it – I wasn't reaching out enough," Roy said. "I'm a sharer and a giver, but there are times I can be stubborn mentally – where if I think something is right, I think it's right."

Miller too, was doing his own self-evaluation. After his argument with McMillan, he immediately became more open and communicative. He realized that while Roy never approached him, he never approached Roy, making him just as much to blame.

"The dialogue wasn't there from the start," Miller said. "I think both of us kind of had the same personality: quiet-type leaders. Maybe as a veteran I should have stepped out a little bit more. You know, as a point guard initiate the dialogue so we could establish something. But by both of us being quiet, it was read differently than it should."

Toward the end of last season, the two started clicking on the court. Roy learned that if he moved without the ball, Miller would find him for an easy layin. And Miller learned that his load could be eased for stretches by letting Roy run the offense.
Toward the end of last season, the two started clicking on the court. Roy learned that if he moved without the ball, Miller would find him for an easy layin. And Miller learned that his load could be eased for stretches by letting Roy run the offense.

Still, there is work to do. Remarkably, the two have yet to sit down, one-on-one, and talk. They have interacted during team discussions, but they have never had a private conversation.

But both say their communication on the court is markedly better than last season.

"I have an understanding of him, just by watching him and observing his body language," Miller said. "I know when he wants to go, and where he wants to go. But it's gotta get better. Both of us are going to have to step out of our personalities and be more vocal."

Said Roy: "We still haven't talked to each other. But there's that look, that look that he gets it, and I get it."

Roy said he dedicated most of his summer to adapting his game to complement Miller's game. He worked on catching and shooting. Getting open without the ball.
I look forward to Miller and Roy playing better and better with each other as they play more together. I think them adapting helps their own game a lot and they just improve all the more over all.

Link

1 - 1 of 1 Posts