Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Derek Anderson, the hero who some were expecting to come in and rescue the Blazers season goes 0-10 from the field. I tried to tell you guys that he sucks!

Portland needs to just be patient and let Davis, Wallace and Stoudamire's contract run out, and try to build through the draft. People here should not point fingers at Zach, who is the only decent starting talent on the team right now. If he had some decent help, he wouldn't have to put up all those shots under double-teams. He's going to be a very good player in the long run...but he's only 1 piece to the puzzle. But for now, I'm hoping the Blazers lose every game so we get a better draft pick. This current squad is worthless.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Zach was hardly even double-teamed today. Robert Archibald shut him down.

He's at least as much to blame for this loss as DA is, IMO, but with that said criticizing DA and ZR won't really get us anywhere. This team is just not a good one, and we can't expect the players to be much better than they have been :(

Ed O.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I think that if this team misses the playoffs, the players aren't the only ones in need of replacement. Neither first or second unit can run and offense or defense for longer than maybe five seconds. The coaching staff has got to get better.

Giving Cheeks an extension was a mistake! He's lost.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Terrible</b>!
Giving Cheeks an extension was a mistake! He's lost.
I keep seeing people say this. Guys, the Blazers can fire Mo any time they want regardless of the extension.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Goldmember</b>!

I keep seeing people say this. Guys, the Blazers can fire Mo any time they want regardless of the extension.
That's totally true (although they'll owe him more money than if they hadn't extended him... which is much more of a factor nowadays than it used to be).

Another angle: if Philly still wants him, they'll probably be more willing to give value if Cheeks is on a longer deal than if he's got only a year left on his deal. I'm not saying Ayers is definitely on the way out, but he hasn't been great in Philly, and that's still a definite possibility this summer IMO.

Ed O.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!

That's totally true (although they'll owe him more money than if they hadn't extended him... which is much more of a factor nowadays than it used to be).

Another angle: if Philly still wants him, they'll probably be more willing to give value if Cheeks is on a longer deal than if he's got only a year left on his deal. I'm not saying Ayers is definitely on the way out, but he hasn't been great in Philly, and that's still a definite possibility this summer IMO.

Ed O.
maybe they did it, the extention, so the 76ers would be forced to pay the blazers $$ in compensation, + a draft piock or something..

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!

maybe they did it, the extention, so the 76ers would be forced to pay the blazers $$ in compensation, + a draft piock or something..
I think so... the only other possibilities I can think of are (a) they wanted him to be a hard-*** with the players, and giving him the extension let him feel empowered to do so, even when the team eventually started losing more because of it, and/or (b) the organization is really impressed by him as a young coach or as a PR prop.

I can't see (b) being, alone, enough to grant an extension, so I think that (a) or the Philly/compensation element are the two most likely factors.

Ed O.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
There has been lots of talk of getting rid of Mo as a coach on this board...

my question would be this...

1) When would you get rid of him? now or at the end of the season?

(I still think we have enough talent to win and be in the playoffs, we are just not right, out of sync... thus maybe it is the coach)

2.) Who would you get as a coach if it were today? Who is available now that you would like? How about in teh summer?

:whoknows:

I just haev not seen such a pathetic show of offense or lack of effort on D in quite some time as we have had on a consistant basis this year.

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
Good question Trader Bob.

If the Blazers dump Cheeks now, where will a replacement come from? With Doc Rivers swearing off coaching, at least for the time being, there is a serious lack of experienced candidates. Nor is any other team going to let us hire away a promising assistant coach in mid-season. That leaves the current Blazer assistants as the only real candidates.

The best option might be to wait for the off-season.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
While I have evolved a distaste for Cheeks's style in the past year or so, I don't think that firing him mid-season (at least THIS season) would be a good idea.

The earliest I could see a move being made is this summer, and it's possible that it would be NEXT summer (2005) which would coincide with the current big FA splash for the Blazers.

If the Sixers aren't happy with Ayers this summer, I could see them asking to speak to Cheeks once again, but otherwise I'd bet on summer 2005.

Ed O.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But the blazers played this way for Mike Dunleavy too, who is considered a great X's and O's coach. Luckily, we had Pippen and Sabonis on the team, and their court leadership and defense made a world of difference.

Dunleavey struggled with getting the blazers to get the ball into the low post, to move without the basketball, and to follow his plays, they refused and thought him "too up tight". Cheeks may not be a very good coach, and it doesn't look like his heart wants to be in Portland, but this blazer squad is un-coachable. Jerry Sloan or Larry Brown couldn't coach this team.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Yega1979</b>! Cheeks may not be a very good coach, and it doesn't look like his heart wants to be in Portland, but this blazer squad is un-coachable. Jerry Sloan or Larry Brown couldn't coach this team.
Bingo. I'm thoroughly convinced that not only can Cheeks not coach his way out of a paper bag, but he's got the most uncoachable roster in the league.

A terrible, terrible combination.

No, the sky isn't falling, but I do believe the streak is over.

I hope this year's draft is a strong class.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts