Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While most of us Dallas fans agree that he hasn't lived up to the expectations you have for a No. 5 pick, he still improved in every season, he is a tremendous defender against speedy point guards who aren't built like a tank, he can get to the basket whenever he wants to, his jumpshot has come a long way and can now be considered decent, he can be a one man fastbreak and he is also a good guy.

I wish him all the best, hopefully he will get more freedom to be the player he can be, not the player the coach wants him to be. If this is the case he has a chance to become a similar version of Tony Parker.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
While most of us Dallas fans agree that he hasn't lived up to the expectations you have for a No. 5 pick, he still improved in every season, he is a tremendous defender against speedy point guards who aren't built like a tank, he can get to the basket whenever he wants to, his jumpshot has come a long way and can now be considered decent, he can be a one man fastbreak and he is also a good guy.

I wish him all the best, hopefully he will get more freedom to be the player he can be, not the player the coach wants him to be. If this is the case he has a chance to become a similar version of Tony Parker.
good to know

that should give us 3 guards/forwards who can get to the rim...some slash and dish type game should be involved...I'm excited

what do u know about Ager?

and Kidd will be fine...not sure what Allen will do for u guys but Wright can defend the west guards pretty well.

·
Premium Member
19,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good to know

that should give us 3 guards/forwards who can get to the rim...some slash and dish type game should be involved...I'm excited

what do u know about Ager?

and Kidd will be fine...not sure what Allen will do for u guys but Wright can defend the west guards pretty well.
To be honest Ager hasn't shown anything and he is already 24, I think he could become a decent role player if he learns to make better decision. He has never gotten minutes, but he also didn't seem to improve much or put enough effort into improving, hard to tell. He can shoot a bit, however there is a bigger chance that he won't be in the league in two years than actually becoming a part of the rotation.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I'm just hoping Harris makes my username valid again. :)

But all "kidd"ing aside, I'm going to miss Jason. If it had been up to me, the trade wouldn't have happened. But these are the players we've been delt, and I'm going to do my best to cheer the Nets on. I'm excited to see how Harris does. I hope he gets to play his game here. It would be awesome to get some fast-breaking going again.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
To be honest Ager hasn't shown anything and he is already 24, I think he could become a decent role player if he learns to make better decision. He has never gotten minutes, but he also didn't seem to improve much or put enough effort into improving, hard to tell. He can shoot a bit, however there is a bigger chance that he won't be in the league in two years than actually becoming a part of the rotation.
didnt ager spend most of the year in the NBDL?? from what i remember, ager is basically on par with antoine wright in terms of skill set.

·
Negative
4,486 Posts
Devin has a ton of skill and was one of the fans favorites his entire time here. We had very lofty expectations for him, which he never lived up to. I wish him nothing but the best as a Net. I have this feeling that he will bring his A game every time he plays us for the rest of his career.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
croco, do you think that Devin can play well with the athletic big man like Sean Williams, Josh Boone, and Stro-Swift?

Does he know how to lob the pass to those big men? I hope Devin would play great for the Nets,we need a young, explosive, quick, and killer instinct PG.

it's time to move on, it's a new era.

·
Premium Member
19,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
didnt ager spend most of the year in the NBDL?? from what i remember, ager is basically on par with antoine wright in terms of skill set.
Yeah, he did and I have to agree that his skillset is not very high. Keep your expectations for him as low as possible, otherwise he will probably disappoint.

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
I think one thing is certain, there will never be a point guard that plays for New Jersey that will ever surpass what Kidd has done for the team. In that aspect, Harris might be doomed from the start, because some will try and compare everything he does to Kidd

·
Premium Member
19,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
croco, do you think that Devin can play well with the athletic big man like Sean Williams, Josh Boone, and Stro-Swift?

Does he know how to lob the pass to those big men? I hope Devin would play great for the Nets,we need a young, explosive, quick, and killer instinct PG.

it's time to move on, it's a new era.
I only saw him throw lob passes a few times, but Dallas played such a slow pace that he never got the chance to throw them in transition and he just isn't good enough of a passer to constantly make the right decision in the halfcourt. I hope the Nets will run more because he is most effective when he can push the tempo and finish himself, but I don't know if Frank will change his gameplan.

Maybe he will have more confidence now that he might call more plays by himself, it should only help.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Devin has a ton of skill and was one of the fans favorites his entire time here. We had very lofty expectations for him, which he never lived up to. I wish him nothing but the best as a Net. I have this feeling that he will bring his A game every time he plays us for the rest of his career.
hmmm interesting

I think one thing I can point to is that he never was the starter at PG since he's gotten there...now whether or not that's due to Jason Terry being there or that he hasn't done anything to warrant starting all the time...that's the question.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
BTW Harris was averaging a career high 14ppg and 5apg before his injury

he shoots it around 48-49% as well...and this is in a more slow tempo offense...shall be interesitng to see what he can do if the tempo suits him more.

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
He says he won't be ready for another two weeks.

http://sports.myway.com/news/02202008/v4657.html

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -The New Jersey Nets will likely have to wait at least two weeks before they can begin to gauge how well they made out in Tuesday's eight-player deal with Dallas.

Point guard Devin Harris, who will take Jason Kidd's place in the Nets' lineup, said Wednesday the ankle injury that has kept him out for the last three weeks will sideline him for up to two weeks more.

It will also force Frank to make other moves, including putting Vince Carter at point guard.

"Vince will have to play some 1, and that's going to entail Trenton or Mo Ager giving us some minutes at the 2," Frank said. "That's the challenge any time you make a midseason trade. In the short term we'll need to be a little more creative, and then when Devin gets back we look forward to giving him the keys."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts