Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as I understand the story, Juan Dixon won the right to use Nate McMillan's suite in Atlanta by swishing a half-court shot contest earlier this fall. Good news.

Then, on the flight to Atlanta, he eats some bad shrimp, ends up with food poisoning, and probably couldn't have cared less whether he was in the suite or in the hospital. Bad news.

To top it off, Webster had a solid game yesterday in Dixon's absence and may earn a few minutes away from Dixon's playing time when he returns. Hmmm. Guess I should have titled this thread, "Good News, Bad News, Bad News", at least from Dixon's viewpoint. :)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
crandc said:
Sounds like the Blazers need a new caterer.
Are you applying? :biggrin:

gatorpops

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
crandc said:
Sounds like the Blazers need a new caterer.
Actually, it sounds to me like we should make the caterer GM.

Ed O.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Ed O said:
Actually, it sounds to me like we should make the caterer GM.

Ed O.
So, are you saying we're better without Juan Dixon?

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Hap said:
if he's not, I will.
Good.

Dixon's PER average is 15.4, which is above average. His Roland Rating is 3rd on the team behind Zach and Darius. Dixon is doing just fine.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
WebZen said:
Or were better off with Martell on the floor.
In two games...yes. But it's too early to anoint Webster is the next 'it' guy. Dixon has done what we've needed him to do so far. I think completely taking him out of the equation would be a rash decision. I'm not the biggest Juan Dixon fan and I do think Webster will be good to great someday, but Dixon has to stay in the rotation for now.

For a team that's struggling to score, I find it difficult to understand why people are so down on a guy who's scoring 10 pts a night in 20 minutes.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Fork said:
Good.

Dixon's PER average is 15.4, which is above average. His Roland Rating is 3rd on the team behind Zach and Darius. Dixon is doing just fine.
I only said it because I knew you had something to counter it with.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
His shot selection was horrible at the beginning of the year. (As someone else posted on a previous Juan thread, he acted like he thinks he's Michael Jordan.) IMO he has improved his shot selection to questionable at times. I think his ability to heat up and to get off a shot makes him a valuable role player for this team, if he can remember it's a team game (and that he's not Michael Jordan).

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Hap said:
I only said it because I knew you had something to counter it with.
Damn. My lame tactics are so obvious.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Fork said:
Good.

Neither of those take into account things like defense or how they work as part of a team offensive game... they're interesting as supplemental information or as indicators of how an individual is performing but not determinative of whether a player is good for a team.

Dixon is a black hole that is a detriment to the team. If he never plays another significant minute for Portland the team will be better for it.

Ed O.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
If crandc gets to be the new caterer, then I get to be the new web/graphics guy.

Also that is why my friends I only eat shrimp grilled or fried. Preferably the latter.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Ed O said:
Neither of those take into account things like defense or how they work as part of a team offensive game... they're interesting as supplemental information or as indicators of how an individual is performing but not determinative of whether a player is good for a team.

Dixon is a black hole that is a detriment to the team. If he never plays another significant minute for Portland the team will be better for it.

Ed O.
Actually, Roland Ratings do take defense into account.

Besides, the other options at the SG, aside from Monia, aren't any better than Dixon is defensively. Monia is better defensively, but he may be a little bit too unselfish.

Black hole offensively? Definitely. But I think that he's been given the green light to score when he's in the game. In case people haven't noticed, we don't score much. Dixon gives us a much needed boost, even if he does take a lot of shots per 48. I wish Monia would step up and start taking more shots, but he doesn't seem to want to. We need scoring from somebody. Until somebody else DOES step up, I think we're better (slightly) with Dixon in there.

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
OK, somebody has to say it.........Dixon ate bad shrimp? Isn't that cannabilism? :raised_ey

Dixon ate bad shrimp? Was Quick jealous? :eek8:

I think I better go take my meds now! :cheers:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
webster and monia would make a nice 1-2 at sg in a season or later this season that will cause a lot of problems for teams. Viktor needs some playing time with rubin gone I thought we would see viktor play and I hope he rips it up when finally given some time. Jack- Monia- Viktor- future true pf- theo/ha depending on trades and injury.

jack 6'3 monia 6'8/9 viktor- 6'10 thats a very tall front 3

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Fork said:
I wish Monia would step up and start taking more shots, but he doesn't seem to want to. We need scoring from somebody. Until somebody else DOES step up, I think we're better (slightly) with Dixon in there.
Well, I agree that Monia doesn't want to take 'bad' shots. He seems to want to move the ball around for the best possible shot. It's not his fault that once he passes it and rotates, he doesn't get the ball back. I've seen him wide open plenty of times where he seemed to be itching to shoot it, but never got the ball.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Blazer Bert said:
Well, I agree that Monia doesn't want to take 'bad' shots. He seems to want to move the ball around for the best possible shot. It's not his fault that once he passes it and rotates, he doesn't get the ball back. I've seen him wide open plenty of times where he seemed to be itching to shoot it, but never got the ball.
The broadcasters point that out at least two or three times per game (usually when Zach has the ball against a double-team). If he got just five more touches per game, the Blazers would be in much better shape.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts