Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well at least in my opinion anyway.

I know many hate the ESPN/ABC era of the NBA, because they feel their storytelling to be subpar, but if you look closely, you'll realize that the contract the NBA has with ESPN/ABC and TNT is almost up.

The contract started in 2002-03 and expires at the end of the 2007-08 season, which is just two seasons away where we stand now.

Basically OJ Mayo's, Billy Walker's and Michael Beasley's rookie year, will be the year the NBA returns to NBC.

In the last agreement between NBA and NBC, the Peacock bid was 4.5 billion dollars over 6 years, but the NBA went with ESPN and their 4.6 billion dollar bid instead. This was a bad decision, simply because ESPN/ABC refuses to show many games on weekends and their production values really pale in comparison to NBC.

So you can get excited, as (if you don't count this year's postseason) you will only have two more seasons to endure.

However, I am personally hoping for a structure to be similiar to the NFL model, where the NFL now has Sunday night football. I would like to see the NBA have Saturday and Sunday afternoon games on (because who the hell cares about the Arena Football) during the Winter/Spring.

Saturday/Sunday Double-Headers on NBC
TNT Thursday nights
ESPN Wednesday and Friday Night Doubleheaders

Then come playoff time, let NBC have the Finals and the Conference Finals, while during the week during the other playoff rounds, it will be on TNT and ESPN.

The weekends should always be for NBC though (until late evening, which is when TNT or ESPN take over).

With a coming of age Lebron (who'd be 24 during the playoffs that year), Wade, Melo, Bosh, Dwight Howard, Greg Oden, Gordon, Arenas, Paul and Tony Parker, then old guard like Kobe, KG, Vince, Pierce, AI, T-Mac, Billups, Hamilton, Allen, Redd and etc...)

The NBA is primed to make a big jump during that season, especially after having two straight years of super hyped rookie talent:

'07 - Greg Oden (and company)
'08 - OJ Mayo (and company)

Do you think I'm wrong?

Reactions: Lope31

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Great news to hear. NBC Sports pretty much fell off the face of the sports world once they lost the NBA. Now that they have the NFL, they look to be rebuiliding their place in the Pro Sports market. ABC hasn't taken advantage at all of the NBA contract, they pretty much only show the finals and select playoff games. It's good to know that NBC will take it because they pretty much showcase the NBA like it should be showcased. Not to mention, I love that John Tesh theme.

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
They always could go to FOX or CBS. But I would love NBC.

I don't want ESPN to have the TV rights. How about USA?, or TBS again?

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HallOfFamer said:
Great news to hear. NBC Sports pretty much fell off the face of the sports world once they lost the NBA. Now that they have the NFL, they look to be rebuiliding their place in the Pro Sports market. ABC hasn't taken advantage at all of the NBA contract, they pretty much only show the finals and select playoff games. It's good to know that NBC will take it because they pretty much showcase the NBA like it should be showcased. Not to mention, I love that John Tesh theme.
Honestly it worked out well for NBC because it gave them a chance to not have sports for a few years and really decide if they want the NBA back. Personally, the Hockey ratings are terrible (I personally feel you can't make regular season Hockey interesting), but they will eventually have the NBA back.

NBC's deals are both up with Hockey and Arena League (unless they choose to renew them, which we know they wont). They are going to get the NBA back.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Net2 said:
They always could go to FOX or CBS.

I don't want ESPN to have the TV rights. How about USA?, or TBS again?
TBS is the same company as TNT, so that's doubtful.

As for FOX, if you don't like ESPN, how can you like FOX? FOX is worse.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
And its not like NBC is exactly running away with the ratings on saturdays and sundays.

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
HKF said:
TBS is the same company as TNT, so that's doubtful.

As for FOX, if you don't like ESPN, how can you like FOX? FOX is worse.
Didn't say I liked FOX, I just said it's possible that FOX would try to negotiate a deal. NBC is my first choice.

I hate ESPN's analysts, and I hate Mike Tirico.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
I like ESPN's coverage. I think its okay besides the lack of weekend coverage. we should always have triple headers at least one day out of the weekend.

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
I find the key to watching NBA games wo/ vomitting over the commentary is the DVR. When the clock isn't ticking, I'm on Fast Forward. I barely hear any prattling.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.