Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really think we will have a very good team next year if we can get the lineup im thinking of to work out

Joel/Theo/Ha
Zach/ Try to get someone solid for reef he cant be effective of of the bench as much as i like him
T-Law/Viktor/Miles
Green/Sergei/McCants sp?
Bassy/Veteren maybe Damon resignd

What do you guys think? :clap:

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
First things first. No Damon. Maybe someone like Darrell Armstrong, Bobby Jackson or Brevin Knight.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Blazerben4 said:
I really think we will have a very good team next year if we can get the lineup im thinking of to work out

Joel/Theo/Ha
Zach/ Try to get someone solid for reef he cant be effective of of the bench as much as i like him
T-Law/Viktor/Miles
Green/Sergei/McCants sp?

I think we'd be lucky to win 30 games with that lineup. I love the potential of the young guys as much as anyone but there's no way we can have a starting lineup thats 3/5ths should be college players and expect to be "good".

With that said, I would rather win 25 games with those players and have a promising future then win 40 with a bunch of mediocre veterans and be average for years.

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
I would love that lineup. I don't know if Green would be ready to start though. I think I would rather go with a starting line up of Telfair, Outlaw, Miles, Zach, and Joel to start. You can bring Green, Viktor, and Monia off the bench as needed.

Ideally we need a vet point guard that can shut people down. Think Greg Anthony...

I think Antonio Daniels would be an interesting prospect, but I'm hesitant because I remember him having an attitude problem.

Gary Payton would be ideal, but I don't know if he could handle a backup role.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know about that spoolie the blazer team we see on the floor right now isent playing 4 wins its easy to see just wait till next year

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Blazerben4 said:

Joel/Theo/Ha
T-Law/Viktor/Miles
Green/Sergei/McCants sp?

Why is Miles 3rd on the depth chart and why do we have McCants....yuck?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just have a feeling Miles could be traded and McCants would be a great 2nd rnd pickup

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really i wasent aware of that What has he done?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I just dont see how its possible to have a good team when it's starting lineup has about 300 career starts total and the teams were playing have just as talented players but with 10 times as much experience. To put it in perspective, Ray Allen has about 650 career starts just by himself.

I guess it depends on your definition of "good". What do you consider good? 50 wins?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya about that

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
That team would be worse than this year's team, but at least it would have some hope for 2-3 years down the road

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Spoolie Gee said:
I think we'd be lucky to win 30 games with that lineup. I love the potential of the young guys as much as anyone but there's no way we can have a starting lineup thats 3/5ths should be college players and expect to be "good".

With that said, I would rather win 25 games with those players and have a promising future then win 40 with a bunch of mediocre veterans and be average for years.
Agreed on all fronts. Another year of pain would get us a good crack at Greg Oden, too...

Ed O.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
This is the way I see it for next year

PG Telfair
SG Monia/Outlaw/Anderson
SF Miles/Khryapa
PF Randolph/Ratliff
C Pryzbilla/(ratliff)/Ha

I think Portland will take Green in the draft which IMO is fine, he will have a couple years to develop and be ready to step in in a couple years. I don't see any draft picks that help the team enough to pass on a guy with the potential that Green has for 3 years from now.

The reserve PG and PF positions we should be able to fill using Ruben and NVE as trade Pieces. In addition I would like to see Portland take a guy like Aaron Miles with their 2nd round pick as he is an experienced floor leader, not a goood shooter, but a guy who can run the point ala Chris Duhon.

Ruben I think is in his final stretch as a Blazer, he has ia relativley high trade value for now, and is unfortuantely at the most overloaded position. DA they should see if they can move, but if they can't, believe it or not he's a servicable reserve SG, and can even start if needed.

NVE I am sure they will trade, wehat they get in return I am not sure, maybe a Alan Houston type player. Shareef....We'll see but I'm not betting on a S&T. If tehy can resign him reasonably and convince him to be a reserve then great but I doubt that has a prayer of happening.

Damons gone IMO, he'll take the MLE form Miami or Houston.

I think the potential is there for the team to have a possitive building season next year (meaning better than this year), and the new head coach will be vital.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Schilly said:
PG Telfair
SG Monia/Outlaw/Anderson
SF Miles/Khryapa
PF Randolph/Ratliff
C Pryzbilla/(ratliff)/Ha
Can not disagree with that too much at all... its a roll of the dice for sure to see where we will end up at with the three big players to move.

I agree Damon will sign with a contender for the MLE

I think DA will be bought out this summer and will be free to go where ever he wants to

I think both Randolph, Miles, Patterson and NVE will be traded

Randolph and NVE for the #1 pick (Waiving NVE to make room for Randolph)
Patterson will be dealt to a contender for a late 1st round pick
Miles will be dealt for a backup player maybe SG or PF

Rahim will be signed as our starting PF

PG Telfair, FA MLE signing, late 1st round pick from Patterson trade = Aaron Miles? type of player
SG Monia, #5 pick, Frahm
SF Outlaw, Khryapa
PF Rahim, BACKUP PF from Miles trade , Ratliff
C Przybilla, #1 pick, HA

Still very young, but has some veteran leadership. Getting a FA MLE combo PG/SG will be a key. It could very well be NVE after he is waived after being traded. But I am hoping for a younger one... 27-30 years old

rolling the dice..... :cheers:

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
TheATLien said:
That team would be worse than this year's team, but at least it would have some hope for 2-3 years down the road
I think when you look at the Portland roster you have to look atleast two years down the road. I have been suprised by the play of some of the young players on the roster. I was thinking that this team was more like three to four years out, but I changed my mind with what I have seen. This team is going to take time to gel but the pieces are there with a little more experience.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Spoolie Gee said:

I agree with the 30 wins part of your post. I disagree completely about the promising future. Every year, the Clippers have a "promising future" with a ton of young talent, but they never get out of the lottery. The Cavs have a "promising future" because they won the Lebron James derby. But how promising does their future look if he decides to walk at the end of his rookie contract, as he's threatening, because he wants to play for a winner?

Sure, you have to have talent, but if you put two equally talented teams on the floor, the one with the most veterans will win the game 9 times out of 10. Nobody wants to play on a losing team. Nobody wants to miss the playoffs. The problem with going young is that by the time your players are finally experienced enough to win, they're tired of losing and are demanding trades. IMO, if the Blazers decide to go strictly with a youth movement, we'll be swirling in the lottery toilet bowl for years to come.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
e_blazer1 said:
I agree with the 30 wins part of your post. I disagree completely about the promising future. Every year, the Clippers have a "promising future" with a ton of young talent, but they never get out of the lottery. The Cavs have a "promising future" because they won the Lebron James derby. But how promising does their future look if he decides to walk at the end of his rookie contract, as he's threatening, because he wants to play for a winner?

Sure, you have to have talent, but if you put two equally talented teams on the floor, the one with the most veterans will win the game 9 times out of 10. Nobody wants to play on a losing team. Nobody wants to miss the playoffs. The problem with going young is that by the time your players are finally experienced enough to win, they're tired of losing and are demanding trades. IMO, if the Blazers decide to go strictly with a youth movement, we'll be swirling in the lottery toilet bowl for years to come.
I don't think we disagree too much, you're just a little more pessimistic then me. :biggrin:

Some of the young players COULD leave and we COULD get stuck as a lottery team but I think there's a light at the end of the tunnel. You mentioned the Clippers, I don't think that's a good comparison. If the Clippers had Paul Allen as its owner they would've kept some of those young players and been competitive over the years. Just look at them now, if they keep their team together they'll be a playoff contender in the next couple years.

I don't know if Telfair will bail on us in a few years but we should have a pretty talented nucleus assuming we draft well and money won't be an issue if Allen is still the owner.

Telfair, Outlaw, Monia, Khryapa, Pryzbilla, top 5 pick this year, top 5 pick next year. We will be VERY young but VERY talented.

Will all those players pan out? Will we have a decent coach to guide them? Who knows. If this team is managed properly over the next 2-3 years we should be in pretty good shape but if it isn't managed right things could be ugly for a long time and either way the next couple years will be brutal.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts