Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Good way to slow down the Suns?

1K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  Pimped Out 
#1 ·
Tighten up the nets so the ball doesn't come out so fast. It has to struggle to come down. It could cost them a couple baskets cause your defense gets to get set. Who knows.

#3 ·
I've thought that one way to slow Phoenix down some is after they score, dont just inbound the ball quickly. Use the entire 5 seconds(since the game clock keeps running) before inbounding the ball. You could take several minutes out of the game that way.

#7 ·
SeaNet said:
Suns are going to have problems until Kurt Thomas comes back. He's their only defender w/ any bulk. Wo/ him they are screwed in the playoffs.
True that. They can probably still get to the WCF's by beating the Lakers and the Nuggets through simply outscoring them, but there's no chance of competing with San Antonio. If Dallas manages to beat San Antonio (I don't think it'll happen), that would still be a good series that could go either way. They don't really need Kurt's defense in a Dallas series.

#8 ·
ShuHanGuanYu said:
True that. They can probably still get to the WCF's by beating the Lakers and the Nuggets through simply outscoring them, but there's no chance of competing with San Antonio. If Dallas manages to beat San Antonio (I don't think it'll happen), that would still be a good series that could go either way. They don't really need Kurt's defense in a Dallas series.
Sure, the Lakers & Nuggets likely won't present much of a problem. Spurs would be impossible, and I actually do think Kurt could make the difference in a series w/ Dallas.

#9 ·
SeaNet said:
Sure, the Lakers & Nuggets likely won't present much of a problem. Spurs would be impossible, and I actually do think Kurt could make the difference in a series w/ Dallas.
I think that would be just what people expected or 'lil more; getting to WCF through that road haha. I know I wouldn't expect more, unless it's Dallas :)

#12 ·
Kick nash in the knee?? lol
i dunno, it doesnt really affect them regardless of what type of D they are playing against.
they are going to run and gun no matter who they are playing against, its not a matter of stopping them from shooting, its a matter of making those shots miss and keeping marion and co away from the boards as much as possible.
i'd like to see a team throw a similar ( i.e smaller, faster players) lineup on the court against the suns for a while and see how they go.
kenyon, melo, patterson, buckner and miller?
smush, wafer, kobe, george and odom.

i think the nuggets with their traditional line up will pose a big problem for the suns actually... they have a solid player at every position and without a big inside presence (amare back to streng or not) camby could run riot down low in a 7 game series.

#13 ·
Avalanche said:
Kick nash in the knee?? lol
i dunno, it doesnt really affect them regardless of what type of D they are playing against.
they are going to run and gun no matter who they are playing against, its not a matter of stopping them from shooting, its a matter of making those shots miss and keeping marion and co away from the boards as much as possible.
i'd like to see a team throw a similar ( i.e smaller, faster players) lineup on the court against the suns for a while and see how they go.
kenyon, melo, patterson, buckner and miller?
smush, wafer, kobe, george and odom.

i think the nuggets with their traditional line up will pose a big problem for the suns actually... they have a solid player at every position and without a big inside presence (amare back to streng or not) camby could run riot down low in a 7 game series.

Not saying that they could outrun and gun the suns, but I think the raptors have the potential of becoming a run and gun team. Bosh is extremely quick for a PF, infact I don't think there are any other PF faster than him. CV is surprisingly quick. I mean, he's no iverson, but for his size? Graham is very athletic, and they got Sow who is quick enough to defend a SF. In a way, the run and gun could mask their problem in the post. not completely but somewhat. I think araujo runs the floor pretty well, it's in terms of reactions that he's slow.

All they need is a pass first PG. Calderon is it, dunno how quick he can improve. He's pretty quick too. Same for Barrett, kid is NBA Live quick.

#14 ·
true that.
i dont necisarily think that out running them is a good strategy, just think it'd be awesome to see a couple of teams try.
personally i think the best way is to just monster them with size and defence, get the tallest possible team on the court you can, keep them out of the lanes, alter their shots etc.
nuggets will pose more of a problem then people on here give them credit for.

#15 ·
Avalanche said:
true that.
i dont necisarily think that out running them is a good strategy, just think it'd be awesome to see a couple of teams try.
personally i think the best way is to just monster them with size and defence, get the tallest possible team on the court you can, keep them out of the lanes, alter their shots etc.
nuggets will pose more of a problem then people on here give them credit for.

Again, not sayin that the raps has **** on the suns, but with Mop Pete at SG (6'8"), Eva at SF (6'11") and Bosh at PF (6'10" although he's prolly 6'11") that's a pretty tall line up... we also have a PG coming from overseas and dude is like a 6'5" PG.

talk about tall

#19 ·
not sure who was guarding nash today agaisnt the clips, wasnt watching it
but it seems against the taller (6'7ish) livingston, nash had a pretty poor game only around 9 points or so and not a whole lot of assists, on top of that the suns came away with an L.
food for thought

#20 ·
Avalanche said:
not sure who was guarding nash today agaisnt the clips, wasnt watching it
but it seems against the taller (6'7ish) livingston, nash had a pretty poor game only around 9 points or so and not a whole lot of assists, on top of that the suns came away with an L.
food for thought

I think that has more to do with the absense of KT then anything else.

#22 ·
Do exactly what the Clips did to them...pound them. When they go up double digits...keep pounding them. DO NOT GO SMALL!!!! They are better at small ball than you. Isolate a mismatch in the post and pound them. Shoot very few long jumpers because they thrive off long jumpers. DO NOT PRESS NASH! It doesn't work because he is not going to give up the dribble until he is ready and you are not getting many steals. Play the passing lanes and press shooters. Double nobody. They love to rotate the ball. Force them to beat you off the dribble. They struggle with one on one play. Five on the defensive board at all times.

IMO Phoenix is going to struggle more in the playoffs than people think. Denver is a bad matchup for them in the series because they have so many good off the ball rebounders and they don't have many 3pt shooters. They are going to pound Melo and crash the coard with Camby, K Mart (if healthy), Reggie Evans and Ruben Patterson. The Clippers are not as deep but if Cassell is healthy, Brand is going to be a problem for Phoenix. The Grizz have Pau and Tsakalidis, plus some good perimeter defenders.

The playoffs are a different animal. Last year Phoenix had the do or die component with Amare on the inside. This season they have no interior threat. Big difference.

Reactions: Dissonance
#24 ·
I dont think full court man to man will work, I think Nash will find a way to get the ball to an open man.

Possible strategies:
1) Guard everyone else tightly except for Nash? Defenses should switch quickly. In the fourth, guard Nash and let the shooters shoot, they should be cold.
2) Force a halfcourt style.
3) Pressure their shooters; the ones who have the hardest time dealing with pressure(poor ballhandlers?)
4)Attack the basket.
5)A quick guard should be ready to get back on defense. Make sure no one is by himself, don't leave a man by himself near your basket.
6)Foul hard if they drive unless you have a shotblocker! No one would wanna go to the paint knowing they could get blocked or knocked down.

#25 ·
The Clips played Q Ross on Nash for the most part. Q Ross is long and very good man to man defender. He denied Nash the passing lanes and made it hard for Nash to drive cleanly so Nash either had to go against Brand and Kaman in the paint or make bad passes. Livingston was also on Nash for stretches. Livingston's length caused Nash problems both on defense and offense (Liv 12pnts-13as-7re-1to, Nash 9pnts-3re-5as-5to).

Suns' shots weren't falling, but the Clips did a good job on the most part rotating on defense, shutting down the passing lanes, and with Brand and Kaman in the paint to get rebounds (Clips52-Suns37) and pound inside, the Suns were forced to swarm on them, allowing Maggette, Mobley, etc either open looks or open lanes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.