Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really guys....what's the difference between them??? (except their height)

We were riding and criticizing Jamal for his sorry as floaters....which is the same formula Ben Gordon is using.

I really did not like Jamal as our starting guard because he could not paly defense but also was not enough(physically and mentally) to handle the SG position.

Somebody said we might trade our leading scorer for the third consecutive summer....I think it could be true.

There is really no point of holding on to a player that is either really hot or disgracefully cold and out of sync.

Either come from the bench or pack your bags.

I really see Paxson trading Ben because he really is no different than Jamal Crawford.

Watch their games and you will see....

Roy and Morrison for 2006!

Reactions: LegoHat

·
Registered
10,191 Posts
They're not the same. Maybe they share some of the same qualities, I suppose.

For starters, Ben Gordon is a much better shooter. How many guys come into the NBA and immediately shoot well over 40% for their first two seasons on 3's? Ben is among the elite shooters in this league, whereas Crawford is just not on that same level.

There are other things which set the two apart, but I'm not feeling like rehashing this JC vs. whoever debate again.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ben is a far better shooter...The shots that Jamal would take are the same shots Ben makes.

Ben is better at getting to the rim...His quickness is evident

...His improvement is evident...And though their aren't reports...His attitude is better...What other buddin' star is gonna take time to chat with fans online?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Rhyder said:
I gave Crawford 4 years before I jumped ship.

Ben hasn't even completed his second NBA season with a rookie year that probably bests any of Crawford's years on the Bulls.

CHEERS!

Crawford most likely regressed.

Remember he dropped 50?...LOL

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hey Gordon was 6th man last year,only rookie to ever do that.He accomplised more in his rookie year then Crawford accomplised his whole carrer!!!!!Gordon probley has more game winners in his 2 seasons then Crawford has his whole carrer as well!!!! He probley beat Crawfords game enders total last year!!!! No comparison Ben Gordon is way better then Crawford.If you don't believe me look at that sorry Knicks squad he's on.Boy he sure made a difference there.What is he?like the Knicks 9th man or something?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't give Gordon a free ride on this recent slump. I like him, but I'm certainly not a fan who thinks he can do no wrong.

And I have seen a lot of Knicks games this year (yeah, I know; I live in New York), and can state with no hesitation that Crawford has really improved his game this season -- even if his averages don't show it yet.

But, come on, these two players are not particularly similar.

·
Registered
17,143 Posts
Based on his first two years, suppose Ben was a RFA and another team offered the contract to him that was offered to Jamal? Would you match it or sign and trade him away?

Yeah, I know the composition of the team is different, and Crawford was here 4 seasons (though he really only had about two seasons of actually playing), etc.

I'm not asking for a direct Ben to Jamal comparison. I'm just curious if, at this point, people would be comfortable giving Ben the sort of contract Jamal ended up with.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm just curious if, at this point, people would be comfortable giving Ben the sort of contract Jamal ended up with.
Not at this point, no.

Ben's game has to grow to earn that kind of contract. I think Jamal was overpaid.

Next year will tell us a lot, hopefully.

Two years just isn't the same as four, and I can't "do the math," I guess. Or else I'm unwilling to.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Mikedc said:
Based on his first two years, suppose Ben was a RFA and another team offered the contract to him that was offered to Jamal? Would you match it or sign and trade him away?

Yeah, I know the composition of the team is different, and Crawford was here 4 seasons (though he really only had about two seasons of actually playing), etc.

I'm not asking for a direct Ben to Jamal comparison. I'm just curious if, at this point, people would be comfortable giving Ben the sort of contract Jamal ended up with.
I would. Difference between the two is that Gordon has already proven to be very effective in a significant role (i.e. the best reserve player in the league). Jamal really hasn't done that, or really much of anything. Also, Gordon has a better understanding of organized basketball.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
they are not at all similar.

JC plays both guard spots on offense and defense

gordon really doesn't yet play 1 fully on both sides of the ball.

gordon is one of the best shooters in the nba

JC is just a good shooter

crawford draws fouls , gordon doesn't

gordon is extremely clutch ...JC is clutch to a lesser degree

JC is thin , gordon is on the stout side for a guard.

JC can pass , gordon doesn't pass as well .

they are very different players who dont have alot in common at all, they dont play alike look alike outside of the fact they both have great handles , there is nothing there, to really compare them anymore.

Reactions: LegoHat

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
unBULLievable said:
Really guys....what's the difference between them??? (except their height)

We were riding and criticizing Jamal for his sorry as floaters....which is the same formula Ben Gordon is using.

I really did not like Jamal as our starting guard because he could not paly defense but also was not enough(physically and mentally) to handle the SG position.

Somebody said we might trade our leading scorer for the third consecutive summer....I think it could be true.

There is really no point of holding on to a player that is either really hot or disgracefully cold and out of sync.

Either come from the bench or pack your bags.

I really see Paxson trading Ben because he really is no different than Jamal Crawford.

Watch their games and you will see....

Roy and Morrison for 2006!
I think it's too early to make this comparison. I like Crawford, and I really like Gordon. Compare Gordon's numbers in year two to Ray Allen's, they aren't that different.

Crawford gets scapegoated way too much for some very bad Bulls seasons. Keep in mind that Jamal was 19 when he came out of Michigan, very raw, and spent his formative years in the NBA under the tutelage of Tim Floyd and Bill Cartwright - two guys who I don't think will ever occupy the first seat on an NBA bench again. Skiles, a guy notorious for ripping his players, has never really ripped Crawford. Larry Brown, a fundamentals guy to the bone, has taken a shine to Crawford this year. It seems to me that he's more pleased with his performance than any of his other guards. Is Jamal worth a 7 year 56 million dollar deal? No, he isn't. But he's a good NBA player and could be a vital cog in a championship team. He's a versatile guard, he's willing to learn - makes a great 6th man.

I've always been a big Gordon supporter, and his recent performances have been depressing. What he does best is score, but he's been held to single digits in three of his last five games. That said, Ben's a shooter, he's still learning the NBA game - how to curl off screens and hit shots, moving without the ball. Sometimes it takes these guys a while. Reggie Miller averaged 16 points his second season. Richard Hamilton averaged 18. Ray Allen averaged 19. All have starred on playoff teams. Gordon is at 16, 18 as a starter. It's way too early to start writing him off. Ben's obviously a very gifted offensive player who's made big strides in his two biggest problem areas from last season - TO's and defense. He's not all the way there yet but, streakiness aside, I've been encouraged by his play this season. It would not surprise me at all if he eventually became a Miller/Hamilton/Allen type player.

This season has been frustrating, but let's not write off our guys just yet.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Da Grinch said:
they are not at all similar.

JC plays both guard spots on offense and defense

gordon really doesn't yet play 1 fully on both sides of the ball.

gordon is one of the best shooters in the nba

JC is just a good shooter

crawford draws fouls , gordon doesn't

gordon is extremely clutch ...JC is clutch to a lesser degree

JC is thin , gordon is on the stout side for a guard.

JC can pass , gordon doesn't pass as well .

they are very different players who dont have alot in common at all, they dont play alike look alike outside of the fact they both have great handles , there is nothing there, to really compare them anymore.

excellent post, I agree wholeheartedly Grinch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.