• Earl Boykins

Votes: 9 33.3%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GP, Starbury, B-Diddy, Boykins to compete in Skills Challenge

NEW YORK, Feb. 4 –- Los Angeles Lakers guard and 14-year NBA veteran Gary Payton highlights the field of participants in the 989 Sports Skills Challenge. The event will be held on NBA All-Star Saturday Night presented by America Online, Feb. 14 at STAPLES Center in Los Angeles.

The 989 Sports Skills Challenge, launched last year in Atlanta, is a contest highlighting the NBA's top point guards. It features four players competing in a two-round timed "obstacle course" event consisting of dribbling, passing and shooting stations.

In addition to Payton, Earl Boykins of the Denver Nuggets, Baron Davis of the New Orleans Hornets and Stephon Marbury of the New York Knicks will participate.

The 989 Sports Skills Challenge will be televised live nationally as part of the NBA All-Star Saturday Night presented by America Online and will also feature the Foot Locker Three-Point Shootout, Sprite Rising Stars Slam Dunk and RadioShack Shooting Stars. TNT and ESPN Radio will begin their national coverage at 8 p.m. ET from STAPLES Center.

989 SPORTS SKILLS CHALLENGE

Earl Boykins Denver Nuggets G 5-5 133
Baron Davis New Orleans Hornets G 6-3 223
Stephon Marbury New York Knicks G 6-2 205
Gary Payton Los Angeles Lakers G 6-4 180

More

I'm gonna have to say Marbury wins it

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I'll be rooting for Boykins. I think he could take it as long as slapping the backboard on a layup isnt a requirement (joke)

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Boykins no doubt will be the crowd favorite because of his height... then again the game is in LA and you have a Laker and a former Bruin in there.

I don't care about this thing anyway. Personally I think they should scrap dunk contest, 3 point etc and get a 1-on-1 competition.

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by <b>KokoTheMonkey</b>!
Who won this contest last year? I remember watching it, but I don't remember who won.
J Kidd over GP in the Finals I believe

·
Pacman & Mamba
2,558 Posts
I'm gonna root for the veteran......

Gary Payton

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
Why is GP in? They should have the fastest PG's in, and Payton certainly isnt one of them...

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SacKings384</b>!
Why is GP in? They should have the fastest PG's in, and Payton certainly isnt one of them...
>EDIT- PLEASE STOP RESPONDING TO BASKETBALL POSTS WITH INSULTS

·
20,601 Posts
Dude you seriously have no other comeback than troll... Gerald Wallace is better than Kobe btw... i dont think Kobe should be starting over Rush either...

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I think Boykins is going to win. He is faster than those guys.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
It's not just about speed in this contest. Passing and shooting are two important elements of this contest too. GP should be able to win this one since he did alright last year and will have the experience needed to win this year's.

Oh yeah, and it'll be really interesting to see how Boykins does.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Dude you seriously have no other comeback than troll... Gerald Wallace is better than Kobe btw... i dont think Kobe should be starting over Rush either...
AGAIN DEBATE THE OPINION, DO NOT INSULT THE POSTER
a kings fan in LA area somebody shoot me

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Yeah, and Funderburke is better at the PF spot than Miller or a healthy Webber and Massenburg and Smith are better C's than Vlade or Miller.:rolleyes:

Cant wait for the Kings to choke once again, especially when Webber comes back and is half the player he ever was.

BTW, I pick GP.

·
20,601 Posts
Yeah, and Funderburke is better at the PF spot than Miller or a healthy Webber and Massenburg and Smith are better C's than Vlade or Miller.
Its called sarcasim...

It's not just about speed in this contest. Passing and shooting are two important elements of this contest too. GP should be able to win this one since he did alright last year and will have the experience needed to win this year's.
Payton isnt a very good shooter from three land either, i pick Starbury to win this one...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts

Its called sarcasim...

Payton isnt a very good shooter from three land either, i pick Starbury to win this one...
No, its childish baiting, and you wonder why people attack you...your posts ask for it.

And Payton is shooting 3's at 52% (14 for 27) over the last 10 games. Sure his season average ins't very great, but its all about timeing...if he can keep it up the next week or so then what was his disadvantage could turn into an advantage. I really wish you'd look this type of stuff up before you say something negative about laker players (especially a laker play on the lakers board) so we wouldn't have to argue so negatively as we often do. Anybody who's been watching the games knows gary's on a roll with 3's, for you to at least not mention it makes us feel like you dont know anything and are just hating, thats why we attack you. Just trying to help you so we can improve the tone a bit.

·
20,601 Posts
Brad Miller is shooting 67% from three land in his last 5 games, guess he should be in the Three Point Shootout

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Put SacKings on ignore, if he wants to be a troll and bait, just don't read his messages anymore, and completely ignore him

1 - 20 of 27 Posts