Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this really true?

I have heard many stories that the GOAT Earl Manigault could do it, but there is no proof. It is hard to believe.

Is there anyone who has a picture? or heard of anything or anyone who witnessed that?

Interesting topic.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
You hear all sorts of stories, but you never know. Here's a shot of Travis Outlaw from a while ago:

·
Registered
15,963 Posts

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Why would people need to lie? If they said he did it, just believe he did it. I mean Michael Wilson (Memphis) of the Globe Trotters can leap over 50 inches off the ground, so if the Goat had a similar vertical leap than it is possible.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hong Kong Fooey</b>!
Why would people need to lie? If they said he did it, just believe he did it. I mean Michael Wilson (Memphis) of the Globe Trotters can leap over 50 inches off the ground, so if the Goat had a similar vertical leap than it is possible.
Yup, Wilson has the highest recorded dunk at 12' or more. I heard Travis Outlaw has done it, but haven't seen any proof. I wonder if Keon Clark could - 6'11, 7'5 wingspan, 40" vert.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Paul Silas made reference to that, too. As unbelievable as LeBron's leaping ability is, I'd like to see it with my own eyes. But I suppose he'd be on the short list of guys who might have a shot.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Nevus</b>!
Paul Silas made reference to that, too. As unbelievable as LeBron's leaping ability is, I'd like to see it with my own eyes. But I suppose he'd be on the short list of guys who might have a shot.
well, I have video with his chin clearly above the rim. What is his reach?

How high is the top from the rim?

I could probably make a guess calculation if he would reach it if I knew this.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Nevus</b>!
When I watched him in that HS dunk contest, I was in awe; he can really sky. It looked like his elbow was above the rim.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RebelSun</b>!

When I watched him in that HS dunk contest, I was in awe; he can really sky. It looked like his elbow was above the rim.
Yeah, I think LeBron may be able to do it. Even if he can't, I think he is the most effortless leaper I have ever seen. He will be driving, looking like he is just gonna throw in a lay-up, and all of a sudden he is looking down on the rim, without a huge effort in between.

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
Some Laker fans are insistent that Kobe can touch that top of the backboard, ready for this, with NO RUNNING START, just standing, just a straight up leap... i find that hard to beleive, in fact, thats downright BS :yes:

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SacKings384</b>!
Some Laker fans are insistent that Kobe can touch that top of the backboard, ready for this, with NO RUNNING START, just standing, just a straight up leap... i find that hard to beleive, in fact, thats downright BS :yes:
then i looked at your name, then saw why for the post :).

i'm sure it's been done before.

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
Im sure someone has, but certainly someone 6'6-6'7 cant do it, im not quite sure on the measurements to the top of thebackboard, but the rim is at 10 feet, the backboard is at LEAST 2 feet above the rim, so thats 12 feet, Kobe is 6'6 with arms up hes probably 7 foot, that means he needs a 60" vertical leap standing still, i doubt he can...

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Just reading some of the stories about LeBron james...

makes you wonder... he is a freak of nature.

18 years, 6'8, 240 pounds.... has 40+ vertical leap.

Makes you wonder, he was obviously a very tall and muscular kid, but was he able to jump that high already? Or did he develop that jump when he started playing basketball?

That applies for all these 6'5+ 40+ inch vertical leap players...

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I read somewhere that James White from Cincinatti was able to do it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts