Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I raised this on another thread, but I thought it deserved its own topic.

Most, if not all, of the great rivalries in college today are geographic rivals. Your Duke-UNC, Kansas-Missouri, Michigan - Ohio St.

Is there anything now that compares to the old Syracuse - Georgetown rivalry, where geography had nothing to do with the rivalry. Where the hate was built from the teams on the floor, not where the teams played.

What's out there? Is there another SU-Georgetwon rivalry out there (a rivalry which has now died).

Discuss.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I like how ESPN is trying to convince us that UNLV-Air Force is a top rivalry. Very interesting game tonight but not exactly UNC-Duke.

Most rivalries are about location right now.

Southern Illinois/Creighton has become a pretty darn good MVC rivalry because they are the two premier teams in that conference.

I can't think of many in the major 8 or 10 conferences.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Duke-Kentucky has produced some heated games over the past 15 years we have had the game with the Laettner shot, and the game at the Jimmy V Classic with the Jay Williams game winner. I dont really know if you consider it a rivalry, but i know both teams really get up to play each other.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by <b>Stevie B</b>!

Most rivalries are about location right now.

Southern Illinois/Creighton has become a pretty darn good MVC rivalry because they are the two premier teams in that conference.
I think you hit the key point. The rivals need to be the premier teams in the conference for an extended period of time. There is too much parity today for that to happen alot.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BigHerm</b>!
Duke-Kentucky has produced some heated games over the past 15 years we have had the game with the Laettner shot, and the game at the Jimmy V Classic with the Jay Williams game winner. I dont really know if you consider it a rivalry, but i know both teams really get up to play each other.
I do not consider that a rivarly at all. True both teams get pumped,a nd fans would be excited to see the games. I really just do not consider them a rivarly

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Originally posted by <b>kansasalumn</b>!

I do not consider that a rivarly at all. True both teams get pumped,a nd fans would be excited to see the games. I really just do not consider them a rivarly
however, I do consider duke/uk as a recruiting rivarly trying to get same players

·
Registered
5 Posts
How about Maryland-Duke? They've had some classic games over the past four years and even when one team is clearly dominant over the other (this year for example) there is still an electric atmosphere.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Duke-Maryland from about 1999-2002 is a great example. A non-traditional rivalry, that built up into the perhaps best rivalry in that period because of the quality of the teams and the competitiveness of the players, the close games, and the fans "behaviour".

But once of the team slips it stays a rivalry but not of the top rivalries.

·
Premium Member
10,191 Posts
Originally posted by <b>kansasalumn</b>!

What??? That is a great rivalry. There is so much hatred between these 2 schools it ain't funny. UK/Duke is always a great and memorable game. From the '78 championship to the Christian Laettner foot stomping incident to UK's come from behind win in the tourney a few years ago. Great, great rivalry.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Tigerfan_2002</b>!
Louisville-Memphis is a big rivalry
what team would Louisville consider a bigger rivarily? Kentucky or Memphis. I would say Kentucky

1 - 13 of 13 Posts