Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty simple premise. We've done greatest player lists ad infinitum. It's time we explored the greatest defensive players. Let's start with #1.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Bol finished his career 1st in blocks per 48 minutes (8.6). The second highest dude on that list is Mark Eaton at 5.8.

He played 10 seasons and has a career block average of 3.34, second highest ever recorded.

You just got Bol'd.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bol finished his career 1st in blocks per 48 minutes (8.6). The second highest dude on that list is Mark Eaton at 5.8.

He played 10 seasons and has a career block average of 3.34, second highest ever recorded.

You just got Bol'd.
And you still haven't voted.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got Bill Russell as well on this. He not only anchored one of the best defensive teams of all-time... he coached them, too.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Not sure how you can vote for anyone other than Bill Russell. Guy has the most rings in NBA history and it's ALL because of his defense and rebounding.

After him it gets interesting with a lot of guys being interchangeable. Jordan, Pippen, Payton, Hakeem, Duncan, Garnett, Bowen.. and those are just the more recent entries.

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
Going to go outside the box, but voted for Rodman

-great individual & team defender
-showed ability to defend multiple positions throughout his career
-elite rebounder

I buy into the defensive philosophy that "you don't get a stop until you secure the rebound", and Rodman is elite at both defending and rebounding. You can say the same thing for Russell, but not so much about defending multiple positions.

Just making an argument for someone outside the obvious.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Russell's shot-blocking tips the argument in his favor, for me. Since he was pretty renowned for his ability to block an opponent's shot toward a Celtic teammate, a lot of his defensive stops were effectively steals.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Russell's shot-blocking tips the argument in his favor, for me. Since he was pretty renowned for his ability to block an opponent's shot toward a Celtic teammate, a lot of his defensive stops were effectively steals.
I have no problems regarding Russell (althougmh Wilt gets unnoticed regarding defense, and for all accounts he was greater that Bill).
But considering how the game has evolved (and let's face it, Russ - and Wilt - were men amongst boys when it comes to defense) i think guys like Rodman and Hakeem should get more credit than it's often given to them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My defensive team of all time:
Frazier, Jordan, Rodman, Garnett, Russel.
Bench: Payton, West, Bobby Jones, DeBusschere/Jerry Lucas, Hakeem, Mutombo, Wilt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.