Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Who's the 2nd best defender in NBA history?

• Bruce Bowen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sam Jones

• Alvin Robertson

• Michael Cooper

• Ron Artest

• Lebron James

• Bobby Jones

• Dave DeBusschere

• Kevin Garnett

• Ben Wallace

• Dwight Howard

• Wilt Chamberlain

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the current list looks like this:
  1. Bill Russell

Who's next?

·
Legal Smeagol
30,760 Posts
It was tough, but I gave Rodman the slightest of nods over Wilt, based on the fact that I saw him defend everyone from Jordan to Shaq

·
Have a GREAT day!
13,796 Posts
Ben Wallace and Dikembe Mutombo are the only players with 4 DPOYs.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I'm taking Timmy D. Anchored three title teams that won primarily with defense despite really only having one other good defender on the roster.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Dwight will be in the top 3 all-time when his career is over. You could almost argue he's there already. With that said, I'm going with Hakeem #2.

·
Have a GREAT day!
13,796 Posts
Im more inclined to give it to a guy who actually played great defense instead of just blocking shots as the last line of defense in a Twinkies soft perimeter defense. Dwight will end up near the top where he belongs, but his level of competition on the block is pretty weak. Mutombo, Duncan and even Rodman had a much harder job on D.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Wait, what? Patrick Ewing, the second best defensive player of all-time? Go ahead, try to talk yourself out of that one.
I'll take NBA veterans/HOFers opinion that he's a great defender over your (usual) indignance over something Dre said.

FWIW I said Hakeem was the second best...you can't put words in my mouth then try to act anal about everything I say.

He's in my top tier, but it's already clear you don't respect me so why do you care so much

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ewing was an excellent defender. I just don't think he's quite in the class of some of these other greats.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
In general I respect a rim protecting, defense funneling big man before most perimeter defenders. So I would have him in front of most if not all of those wing players.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Of course Ewing played good defense, but you mentioned a guy who never even made a defensive 1st team in a thread for the second best defensive player in NBA history. As usual you're going to deflect from the insanity of that post and try to make this a personal battle, but I'm not interested. The mere mentioning of Ewing at this point is laughable, I'll leave it at that.

Sent from my iPad using VS Free

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Who's the one who initiated it with the "go ahead and talk yourself out of that one"

And Ewing didn't get a first team because Hakeem was in front of him for his prime..the same Hakeem I put ahead of him.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Not sure how its laughable to mention Ewing in a list of top defensive big men right now when the guy calling him out has mentioned Howard.

Dwights defense gets overrated like crazy these days, probably since there's hardly any capable defensive bigs around.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Ewing was the defensive anchor on one of the best defensive teams of a decade in a brutal era for offense. He's more than "good", and it's a travestshamockery that he's not on that list to be nominated at the least

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ewing was the defensive anchor on one of the best defensive teams of a decade in a brutal era for offense. He's more than "good", and it's a travestshamockery that he's not on that list to be nominated at the least
He will replace the winner of this spot on the next list. I was trying to give some more perimeter-oriented defenders a fair shake instead of just making it all centers and PFs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts