Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Who's the 8th best defender in NBA history?

• Dennis Johnson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alvin Robertson

• Clyde Frazier

• Bruce Bowen

• Michael Cooper

• Bobby Jones

• Ron Artest

• Dave DeBusschere

• Ben Wallace

• Patrick Ewing

• Nate Thurmond

• Mark Eaton

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Rip City
21,400 Posts
KG Legend!!

Kevin Garnett IMO and it's not even close. Garnett carried a garbage Timberwolves team on his back for many years straight out of high school to a marginally good defensive team. Once KG left T-Wolves, the team becomes the worst defensive team in the league essentially. KG goes to Boston and turns the Celtics into the best defensive team. The facts are there. Garnett needs to be voted in.

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts
It's gotta be either Payton or Jordan. We all know how great Jordan was defensively and Payton is the only PG in NBA history to win defensive player of the year. That's just incredible.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
KG and Dwight are the names that are popping out immediately for me.

Perimeter players don't impact the defensive end of the floor as much as big guys do. People like to pretend that it's a 50/50 split with every player and the more balanced they are automatically makes them more effective. I'll take the offense oriented guard and the defense oriented big 10 times out of 10 over their counterparts.

·
Rip City
21,400 Posts

Perimeter players don't impact the defensive end of the floor as much as big guys do. People like to pretend that it's a 50/50 split with every player and the more balanced they are automatically makes them more effective. I'll take the offense oriented guard and the defense oriented big 10 times out of 10 over their counterparts.
As great as Howard is, and IMO he's the best center in the NBA. His season last year is his first real black mark on his career. He simply didn't play up to his potential. Something you would never see out of a guy like KG.

Garnett > Howard.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
I don't see what that has to do with his defensive abilities. Orlando was routinely a top defense in the league year in and year out without a single good defender on the roster outside of Dwight.

·
Rip City
21,400 Posts
I don't see what that has to do with his defensive abilities. Orlando was routinely a top defense in the league year in and year out without a single good defender on the roster outside of Dwight.
Mentality is a factor when discussing defense. Kevin Garnett battled through all kinds of adversity in Minnesota, and stayed professional. The first time Dwight Howard starts having business negotiations and personal issues go south for his liking, his over all play and attitude was quite noticeable on the basketball court. He wasn't the same player. That should be taken into account when discussing the greatest defenders ever based on their entire career. His teammates and coaching staff duly noted Howards dysfunction last year.

·
8,475 Posts

While this is true, Jordan and Payton still had a big impact on a defensive end of the floor. One of them deserves to be in the top ten, if not both.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
It's kg for me at this spot.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
While this is true, Jordan and Payton still had a big impact on a defensive end of the floor. One of them deserves to be in the top ten, if not both.
A prime Gary Payton was the best defensive guard I have ever seen. He was incredible and it is hard for me to imagine a guard impacting a defense much more than he did. You could say similar things about Jordan. They were great, but even so they didn't influence that side of the ball more than the big guys on this list because basketball, and defense in particular, is a big man's game.

Jordan and Pippen halfway cheated this rule by virtue of circumstance. They are both top ten perimeter defenders ever and had their primes coincide in an era that was weak for wing players on both sides of the ball. And they had Rodman for the second threepeat

How many other championship teams have their been without a really good defensive anchor? Obviously the Heat didn't have a 7 footer clogging the lane last year but they had very fundamentally sound defensive bigs and an opponent whose entire front court was putting up about 10 points per game. They were an anomoly.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
As disgusting as it felt I went with KG on this one. While Dwight probably compares favorably to a prime KG I couldn't ignore a body of work that has stretched for almost two decades.

And lol and whoever voted for 'Bron. He's an awesome defender now, but was mediocre for literally over half of his career. He didn't become complete on both sides of the court until 2009.

And as far as the poll goes, Rasheed Wallace was every bit as good of a defender as Ben was. Maybe even better.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Garnett is still a great defender and can still anchor a whole defense at this stage of his (long) career. Easy pick.

·
Kardashian Cursed
12,427 Posts
How is Dikembe not in any of these discussions? He was one of the most feared defenders of the 90's Outside Hakeem, he was probably the 2nd best pure defensive center. Maybe 3rd behind David Robinson. Multiple DPOY awards, top 5 in rebounding, blocks, steals and one of the best big men to control the paint. Not to mention his incredibly "sharp elbows"

You do know he is 2nd on the all time block list right?

Shame on anyone for voting Lebron. Give me a damn break.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
its sad kareem doesn't even get mentioned, if they counted blocks at the start of his career , he'd be the all time leader in blocks and an 11 time member of the all defensive 1st or 2nd team.

·
8,475 Posts
its sad kareem doesn't even get mentioned, if they counted blocks at the start of his career , he'd be the all time leader in blocks and an 11 time member of the all defensive 1st or 2nd team.
Agreed, although I don't think that Kareem is on the same level as guys like Russell or Rodman, I think Kareem was still a excellent defender and I'm kind of surprised no one made much mentioning of him through out these threads yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts