Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Who's the 9th best defender in NBA history?

• Alvin Robertson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bruce Bowen

• Sidney Moncreif

• Bobby Jones

• Lebron James

• Dave DeBusschere

• Kevin McHale

• Patrick Ewing

• Nate Thurmond

• Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3 out of 10 votes to Mutombo. I would hate to call it on that basis. Let's get some more votes in here.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I'm a big fan of Mutombo, but while I'd say he was obviously one of the most effective defenders of his era I'm not ready to say he belongs this high on a list of the best defenders of all time. I'm looking at Payton and Jordan first.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no winner at this point. 14 votes. Most anyone has is 3. Need more input.

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts
or Mike or Frazier or Moncrief or DJ?
He won defensive player of the year. Those guys that I bolded didn't (I think...)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
or Mike or Frazier or Moncrief or DJ?
Little if anything. They are all very close to one another, in my book. Jordan and Payton were more disruptive in the passing lanes, for what that might be worth, while still being smothering man defenders. I'm tempted to say Jordan should get the nod here because his combination of size and athleticism arguably gave him more versatility in covering more positions and types of players. It was basically a coin toss for me between him and Payton, and the coin landed Payton side up. I'd take Frazier, next, then Moncrief and then DJ - just considering perimeter defenders and without bothering to figure out how the next tier of big guys like Mutombo and Eaton factor in.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
I voted for MJ... he could do it all defensively. I think he's a better defender than Gary Payton. Really hard to compare the bigs and the wings... I think Payton and Mutombo would probably be among my next couple of picks... I believe MJ has said that Moncrief was the toughest cover he faced.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
I voted for MJ... he could do it all defensively. I think he's a better defender than Gary Payton. Really hard to compare the bigs and the wings... I think Payton and Mutombo would probably be among my next couple of picks... I believe MJ has said that Moncrief was the toughest cover he faced.
He was probably referring to Dumars.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
He may have said it about both of them at different times, I can find some Jordan quotes raving about Moncrief's D, but not the one I was remembering.
Reading your previous post, i checked bb-ref to confirm that, apparently, Jordan didn't play (at least enough) a prime Sidney Moncrief.
IIRC, i've heard Jordan talking about Joey D in the meaning you posted.

But hey, this is Michael Jordan we're talking about. We must thake whatever he has said with a grain of salt... ;)

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let's keep the conversation going. Still, no one has jumped to the forefront on this one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts