Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are many to choose from, obviously. There are the usual answers of Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorceses, Francis Ford Coppolla, etc, but I wouldn't pick any of these.

I am personal to Tim Burton. His unique and creative style is just so distinctive and great. His filmography is particularly impressive. Pee-wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice, Batman, Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Ed Wood, Mars Attacks!, Sleepy Hollow, and Big Fish.

That's just an awesome group of films. Not to mention he also has Charlie & the Chocolate Factory and The Corpse Bride coming up as well.

So, what is the best and/or your favorite director of all time?

·
Esquire
8,573 Posts
No offense to anyone, but why do we make 70,000 threads all about the same thing? I know somewhere we have a thread or 7 about this subject, the same with Pet Peeves Thread and the Guitar Solos.

But while on the subject, Tim Burton is my favorite current director. Scorscese is number 2 :D

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Good choice, Tim Burton is a master. Besides his older classics there's Big Fish, one of my favorite movies of recent years.

It's hard to choose one favorite... PT Anderson is my favorite "contemporary" director but that's not including older directors that are still working today like Burton.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
John Sayles...he has an incredibly interesting list of movies...and i loved MATEWAN...on of my favs.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by <b>Zach</b>!
No offense to anyone, but why do we make 70,000 threads all about the same thing? I know somewhere we have a thread or 7 about this subject, the same with Pet Peeves Thread and the Guitar Solos.

But while on the subject, Tim Burton is my favorite current director. Scorscese is number 2 :D
Because I am infinitely better than the threadstarters of previous similar topics. Don't ***** about it, accept it.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Adam Fields. He did Brokedown Palace. Good flick.

Or Stanley Kubrick. They guy was nuttier than squirrel turds, but he was a genius.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I personally like directors that don't use a ton of glitz to take over thier film. The true masters of cinema are people that can affect the sub-conscious; at first the skill in their films takes analysis to pin point.

Martin Scorsese is probably my personal favorite. His best film is Raging Bull, which I regard as a top five film of all-time. Taxi Driver and Goodfellas are really high though. One of my favorite camera moves ever is when Travis in Taxi Driver is talking on the phone with Betsy. He's trying to get a date with her and failing, so the camera stares at the hallway instead; it's too difficult to watch Travis. I could think of scene after scene after scene that's rich in detail from Scorsese himself. I also like how fluid his movies are. My favorite example of this is the famous ending of Goodfellas, which gives the viewer a sense of what it's like to be on coke. In fact, former drug adicts say they can watch that sequence and it'll make them fear taking drugs again, because it's so effective. If he wins his Oscar this year, he deserves a ten minute standing ovation for all his other work that the Academy was too scared to reward.

However, I have no strong feel with one single director. I didn't even know who to pick when I saw this. Others are Fellini, Coppola, Kubrick, Kurosawa, Bergman, Herzog, Lynch, Hitchcock, Welles, etc. More contemporary favorites include Michael Mann, Tarantino, Coens, PT Anderson, Wes Anderson, Spielberg, Jonze, and maybe even someone like Jeunet. I respect many.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Zach</b>!

:laugh: :laugh: I agree with you my friend.

My pick goes to Quentin Tarantino though. The dude directs some totally bad *** films. Just look at imdb.com for his credentials. They speak for themselves.

·
Esquire
8,573 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Dakota</b>!

:laugh: :laugh: I agree with you my friend.

My pick goes to Quentin Tarantino though. The dude directs some totally bad *** films. Just look at imdb.com for his credentials. They speak for themselves.

True dat. Go ahead and prepare to put me in the second version of The OC Fan Club

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Tom</b>!
John Sayles...he has an incredibly interesting list of movies...and i loved MATEWAN...on of my favs.
whoa. RESPEK.

I just saw my first Sayles movie last night, brother from another planet...you wanna give me you're top five favorites Sayles movies, so I know what direction to go next?

Anyways, Mallick, Herzog, David Gordon Green, Lukas Moodyson, Tarintino, Frank Capra and Vincent Gallo are some of my faves.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Originally posted by <b>tpb2</b>!
I personally like directors that don't use a ton of glitz to take over thier film. The true masters of cinema are people that can affect the sub-conscious; at first the skill in their films takes analysis to pin point.

Martin Scorsese is probably my personal favorite. His best film is Raging Bull, which I regard as a top five film of all-time. Taxi Driver and Goodfellas are really high though. One of my favorite camera moves ever is when Travis in Taxi Driver is talking on the phone with Betsy. He's trying to get a date with her and failing, so the camera stares at the hallway instead; it's too difficult to watch Travis. I could think of scene after scene after scene that's rich in detail from Scorsese himself. I also like how fluid his movies are. My favorite example of this is the famous ending of Goodfellas, which gives the viewer a sense of what it's like to be on coke. In fact, former drug adicts say they can watch that sequence and it'll make them fear taking drugs again, because it's so effective. If he wins his Oscar this year, he deserves a ten minute standing ovation for all his other work that the Academy was too scared to reward.

However, I have no strong feel with one single director. I didn't even know who to pick when I saw this. Others are Fellini, Coppola, Kubrick, Kurosawa, Bergman, Herzog, Lynch, Hitchcock, Welles, etc. More contemporary favorites include Michael Mann, Tarantino, Coens, PT Anderson, Wes Anderson, Spielberg, Jonze, and maybe even someone like Jeunet. I respect many.
Awesome post... once again tpb2's posts on film are the truth. Great stuff about Scorcese. Taxi Driver is one of my all-time favorite movies and I'd like to hear more of your thoughts about it.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by <b>Nevus</b>!

Awesome post... once again tpb2's posts on film are the truth. Great stuff about Scorcese. Taxi Driver is one of my all-time favorite movies and I'd like to hear more of your thoughts about it.
At first, I thought I maybe I was mad because I hated Taxi Driver. I couldn't find anyone else that disliked it so much until I talked to my sister. She is also a movie buff, like me, so I know I'm not crazy. I got all the "messages" Taxi Driver was trying to throw out there, but to me, it was a horrible failured piece of cinema. It is just my opinion, but it felt to me like a bad short stretched out nearly 5 times as long as it should have been.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Thanks, but where do you start on a film like that? It's so rich.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jmk</b>!

At first, I thought I maybe I was mad because I hated Taxi Driver. I couldn't find anyone else that disliked it so much until I talked to my sister. She is also a movie buff, like me, so I know I'm not crazy. I got all the "messages" Taxi Driver was trying to throw out there, but to me, it was a horrible failured piece of cinema. It is just my opinion, but it felt to me like a bad short stretched out nearly 5 times as long as it should have been.
Well, I guess you can't argue taste in a situation like this. It's certainly twisted. But at the heart of it I think the character of Travis Bickle is real enough to make it all meaningful.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts

Well, I guess you can't argue taste in a situation like this. It's certainly twisted. But at the heart of it I think the character of Travis Bickle is real enough to make it all meaningful.
I would go as far as to say that anyone who really knows the complexities of film would never even think of calling Taxi Driver a failure. It is one of the most studied films ever (even my university had a class on it). It's citied as one of the best films of all-time in possibly every single film poll.

JMK, can you please explain the message of Taxi Driver that you got?

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Originally posted by <b>tpb2</b>!

Too bad he hasn't made many films.
Hey, when you make them of that quality, then quantity doesn't matter as much.

Badlands
Days of Heaven
The Thin Red Line

And he's making a new movie about John Smith and Pocohontas. Hopefully he stays with it.

But those 3 movies are un****withable. Days of Heaven might possibly be the most beatiful film of all-time. And I'm not pulling that out of my ***. Many critics have said the same thing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts