Votes: 1 3.0%
  • someone else (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Y'all know the drill. Votes will be counted in the poll, defending your choice is encouraged.

So far we've got

1.) Jordan
2.) Wilt
3.) Magic
4.) Kareem
5.) Russell
6.) Bird
7.) Shaq
8.) Duncan
9.) ?

I'm going Kobe. Hakeem is my 10.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LeBron's longevity hurts him in this thread. He'll get in soon enough, but he's not top ten yet.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
I voted for Hakeem. To put it simply, winning two titles as the lead dog with only a moderately talented supporting cast (relative to other champions) beats being the second banana on multiple title teams and then being arguably the lead guy on a team with a loaded front court. I just think if I'm starting a team I take Hakeem over Bryant with little-to-no hesitation. Bryant obviously has an incredible resume, but I think Olajuwon had a greater on-court impact. I also think Bryant's defensive reputation is vastly, vastly overrated. Bryant lands in the next couple slots for me, but I'll take the Dream here.

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
I voted for Hakeem. To put it simply, winning two titles as the lead dog with only a moderately talented supporting cast (relative to other champions) beats being the second banana on multiple title teams and then being arguably the lead guy on a team with a loaded front court. I just think if I'm starting a team I take Hakeem over Bryant with little-to-no hesitation. Bryant obviously has an incredible resume, but I think Olajuwon had a greater on-court impact. I also think Bryant's defensive reputation is vastly, vastly overrated. Bryant lands in the next couple slots for me, but I'll take the Dream here.
Pretty much...

Hakeem by a good mile.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be fair, Kobe was the best second option of all time in that three year window and the top option was better than Hakeem anyways. So you can't really play that card.

And "arguably" the lead guy is a ridiculous statement.

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,586 Posts
To be fair, Kobe was the best second option of all time in that three year window and the top option was better than Hakeem anyways. So you can't really play that card.

And "arguably" the lead guy is a ridiculous statement.
Nobody at the age of 21-23 would have been a first option over a prime Shaq during that 3 year run except POSSIBLY Jordan and that's arguable IMO.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
You're a legend in your own mind.
Hey! It says so under my screenname! ;)

Unfortunately it's just two reasonable things in one day. Most posters manage a much higher ratio. ;)
I follow the Monk's Rule: i'm not here to educate you.
I'm like The Watcher: i'm only forced to interviene (sp?) when all hell is about to breake loose.
You can call me Uatu! ;)

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Glad to not see Oscar Robertson overrated here. He's not a top 10 player of all-time, and nobody would consider him to be one if not for the novelty of averaging a triple-double in a season. To hell with the historical context surrounding the 1961-62 season, most people quote that stat and blast if you don't consider Oscar one of the greatest to ever play because "nobody else has ever done it". Pace and scoring were incredible that year, all you really need to know is that Oscar averaged 30.8/12.5/11.4, Wilt averaged 50.4/25.6 and neither of them won the MVP.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts