Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anthony has an article in ESPN's Insider http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=anthony_greg&id=2022566 on potential coaches of the year. His front runners are D'Antoni, McMillan and Carlisel, he even mentions Stan Van G, Doc Rivers, Fratello Pop,Eddie Jordan and Bryon Scott ? Bryon freekin Scott's team is the league's worst! Where is the love for Skiles? Anthony should lose his insider job for writing such an incomplete article, Bryon freekin Scott?

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
On the ESPN NBA show (saw it for a second before start of Bulls game) the three experts gave their picks for coach of the year.

Skiles was not even mentioned. 2 votes for d'antoni and 1 for mcmillan.

Kind of a crime really, but its hard to argue going with d'antoni or nate.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
who votes for the coach of the year? Do the coaches themselves vote? If that were the case i think skiles would be recognized by his peers and probabbly win the thing... he has gotten so much respect from all the other coaches this year.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
My top 3 would be McMillan, D'Antoni and Skiles, with Eddie Jordan would be a close 4th.

McMillan has taken basically the same team he had from the previous season, which missed the playoffs, to become the 3rd best team in the West.

D'Antoni, with the help of adding Nash and Q-Rich, has molded a game plan to the strengths of his players and become the team with the best record in the West.

Skiles has taken a team with 4 rookies playing significant roles, a 2nd year player and two 4th year players 22 years of age to the playoffs when one expected them to be anywhere near the playoffs.

Each coach has a legitimate case to win the award.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
I think Fratello deserves some mentions, look where he took Memphis after the team was losing w/ Hubie, his record is very good this year

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Nate has two all-stars on his team and the Suns coach has Steve Nash, who just happens to be an MVP candidate.

The Bulls started the season 0-9 and are only a 1/2 game out of fourth and home court advantage.

He's got one second year player, 4 rookies, and 2 once presumed busts playing significant minutes and they are somehow in the playoff race for the first time in 6 years. This is, by the way, his first full season on the job.

If Skiles doesn't win COY, then the NBA is a bigger joke than I once thought.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
kukoc4ever said:
On the ESPN NBA show (saw it for a second before start of Bulls game) the three experts gave their picks for coach of the year.

Yes that is hard to argue. But for Skiles to not to be the next name after those guys is also hard to argue.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Phoenix has gone from 29 wins to 52 so far, you can't argue that.

Seattle is +11 right now to the Bulls +14. But the Bulls added several new players who have contributed mightily to our turnaround, Nate is doing it with the identical team, except the addition of Fortson and the loss of Barry.

I can certainly see how someone would take Nate over Skiles, but you can certainly make an argument the other way as well.

But IMO, D'Antoni is a lock, and deservedly so.

·
BAIT
12,946 Posts
That's not really dissing Skiles even if he doesn't mention him as a canidate.

I think the title is a little misleading.

Anyways, my vote right now is for McMillan because, as somebody already said, he brought virtually the same team who didn't make the playoffs last year to become the team with the third best record.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Pay Ton said:
That's not really dissing Skiles even if he doesn't mention him as a canidate.

I think the title is a little misleading.

Anyways, my vote right now is for McMillan because, as somebody already said, he brought virtually the same team who didn't make the playoffs last year to become the team with the third best record.
I don't think Skiles is canidate, but I'm sure it's a bit insulting for Skiles to not even be mentioned as a canidate.

I'm sure GA just forgot about Skiles, though. No biggie. GA has been a fair proponent of us this season, in contrast to Legler.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Legler said we wouldn't make the playoffs and Screamin A. Smith and Greg Anthony roasted him for that saying who was going to pass them.

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts
dsouljah9 said:
Legler said we wouldn't make the playoffs and Screamin A. Smith and Greg Anthony roasted him for that saying who was going to pass them.
Legler said that within the last 24 hours?

I mean, I'm not saying the Bulls are a lock to make the playoffs, but damn, look at their schedule and how they've played and how the teams chasing them have played. Isn't Legler supposed to take account of all that as part of his job.

FYI, the Nuggets are 21-5 under George Karl. The COY field is loaded this year.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Look at what George Karl has done lately. Its going to be a tough call this year... lots of worthy choices.

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
kukoc4ever said:

I saw that too and they were showing videos of various coachs like SVG, Karl. No video of Skiles. Has anyone watched NBA Action all season? I swear I didn't see anything about the bulls unless we get an award (Coach of the month, rookie of the month) or when we are playing a team they are profiling.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
JAF311 said:
Nate has two all-stars on his team and the Suns coach has Steve Nash, who just happens to be an MVP candidate.

The Bulls started the season 0-9 and are only a 1/2 game out of fourth and home court advantage.

He's got one second year player, 4 rookies, and 2 once presumed busts playing significant minutes and they are somehow in the playoff race for the first time in 6 years. This is, by the way, his first full season on the job.

If Skiles doesn't win COY, then the NBA is a bigger joke than I once thought.

skiles should at the very least be included in the conversation about COY which is why one could take greg anthony's words as a slight.

skiles probably won't win, but that's another story.

and i don't think legler has said anything recently about the bulls not making the playoffs. he said it back in feb. emphatically and with feeling. i for one am looking forward to soon serving up a nice plate of crow for him to choke on.

:biggrin:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Skiles deserves it more over D'Antoni. What has he done besides install a run and gun offense with a run and gun PG who is surrounded by young, athletic players. Any respectable basketball mind would have done the same. Hell, I would done the same!

Skiles and McMillan have both done amazing jobs on the other hand. Skiles a little more so than McMillan, just because we don't have a Ray Allen or Rashard Lewis. Skiles and Paxson deserve more credit from the League for what they've done this season.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
McMillan had less talent to deal with.

Skiles had the least, but was least impressive of the three.

D'Antoni won't get the credit so much because Steve Nash brought his own up-tempo style of basketball to the team. If Nash is in the MVP running, it'll hurt D'Antoni's chances.

My vote goes to McMillan.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I can't believe I'm saying this but...well...I think Skiles has been a fantastic coach this year and totally deserves top three with D'Antoni and McMillan.

I don't think Karl has been in Denver long enough to actually win the award and I think Fratello has done a good job with a super talented team that really only had one small bad stretch over the past two years.

Rick Carlisle, also, has done a magnificent job keeping Indiana in the playoff picture. With JermO back in the playoffs, they can still make some noise.

I rank them all in the order mentioned...D'Antoni, McMillan, Skiles. I still don't completely trust Skiles after last year but I can't argue with incredible results this year.

If only Jamal could have been retained and if only ERob could have been lured from the dark side...!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts