Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Grunwald Vs. Danny Ainge vs. Dumars (O'Brian Quits)

I know there has been talk about Firing Grunwald but when you look at what Danny Ainge has done to turn Boston into a top 4 team into a pathetic dysfunctional team - it makes you scared of what GG's replacement could be.

Just now into his third full season, watching new president of basketball operations Danny Ainge play "Pin the tail on the personnel chart" evidently made O'Brien's job untenable.

How could he like the <b>Antoine Walker</b> for always injured and generally soft <b>Raef LaFrentz</b> trade? Then Ainge went out and got high performance/higher maintenance <b>Ricky Davis</b> and underachieving <b>Chris Mihm</b> for dependable veterans <b>Eric Williams and Tony Battie</b>.
Full Article

I thought Joe Dumars ceased to be the best GM in the league when he cut Carlisle loose here but he proved me wrong - this guy has to be the best GM in the league.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Ainge might accomplish a work-in-progress rebuild. he has pierce surrounded by young talent and still has a chance to make playoffs. a trip to the lottery isn't going to hurt them either.

the celtics had been left in a stagnant situation and i don't think they would have been better than the raptors if they had stayed on that course. the raptors have made big changes and are a team, although slightly undermanned, that should naturally see improvement. we have a rookie coach, a rookie center, and new players to accomodate. GG has already made his main rebuilding manuever, improving the team at the same time.

if we do end up missing playoffs, GG might get a raw deal, leaving HIS successor with mostly tinkering to do rather than a complete overhaul. i think that an easy trade and a lottery pick would have us in fantastic shape for next season considering that we had the third worst record last year. let's hope that the raps can take that next step into the second half of the season, they have plenty of potential to do so, that way we won't really need the pick.

·
Registered
561 Posts
on the flip side of that...look at what Isaiah (as much as I hate the guy) has done for new york. I think given the fact that we are a canadian team we need a GM who has a presence in the NBA. Such as an Isiah or Dumars...someone who the NBA players respect and would listen to when they said hey Toronto aint that bad...come here and give it a shot. Not some Geeky white guy. I think grunwald is a good GM, I just think given our situation its hard enough to get Big names to look north of the border.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I think BOston was really in trouble though, they had a team of "Chuckers" to throw Seinfeld ref out there. With Peirce they had a got to guy, but he was surrounded with Walker, (CHUCKER in the Boston O) Delk, (CHUCKER) Walta (CHUCKER still there) etc. Now they have Welsh, and Davis, who are both still young wing player to help out Pierce. La Frentz leaves bit to be desired but if he was healthy he would be one of the better bigs in the East.

I think they just needed to really put the Pitino years behind them and change the mind set of the team.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Isiah's moves have paid immediate dividends, but believe me --- they will hamper that franchise for years. You guys are WAY too hard on GG. Measure him at the end of the year, not at the ***-end of a losing streak.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
They can fire Grunwald if they want. Oh wait, how are Raptors Organization so sure the replacement General Manager would be as better, especially if it's a GM with no experience as a GM? Grunwald has been transacting for 7 years now, and it's actually better for this franchise to retain Grunwald, because he's got 7 years under his belt and he would improve his transacting skills. Fire Grunwald, another controversy of stupid transactions done by the replacement GM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts