·
Registered
13,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mavericks at Los Angeles Clippers preview

9:30 p.m. today, Staples Center

09:15 PM CDT on Sunday, April 9, 2006

By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News

TV/radio: FSNSW; ESPN-FM (103.3), KFLC-AM (1270 Spanish)

Series: Mavs lead, 2-0, this season; 66-42 all time

Key matchup: Sam Cassell vs. Jason Terry
Coach Avery Johnson said over the next few weeks, Terry will defend some of the tougher point guards in the league. Cassell is one of them. He's battling a knee injury, but he's averaging 17.5 points and 6.4 assists per game. In two games against the Mavericks, Cassell has averaged 20 points. His ability to penetrate and shoot from the outside makes him dangerous. Terry was praised following Saturday night's win over New Orleans for shutting down potential rookie of the year, Chris Paul

Inside the Mavericks
Damp playing well: During the four-game winning streak, Erick Dampier is averaging 7.7 points and eight rebounds a game. When the Mavs went through a recent three-game losing streak, Dampier averaged four points and only five rebounds a game. Dampier has become more aggressive in challenging shots and playing more physical. Dampier grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds against New Orleans on Saturday.

Briefly: Dallas is 25-13 on the road with a 17-6 mark against the Western Conference. ... The Mavs are 24-3 when they have 20 or more assists. They had 24 Saturday. ... Nowitzki has scored 20-plus points in 24 consecutive games. ... The Mavs are 10-0 when holding opponents to fewer than 80 points.

Inside the Clippers
Clippers playoff bound: New Orleans' loss to Dallas on Saturday night, clinched a playoff berth for the Clippers. It's the first time the Clips have reached the playoffs since the 1996-97 season. Los Angeles currently is the fifth seed, and the Clippers would the Mavericks in the first round. Sam Cassell is battling knee problems, and Corey Maggette missed a recent game with lower back spasms.

Briefly: Maggettee was listed as questionable against the Lakers on Sunday night. ... Quinton Ross (SMU) is averaging 4.8 points a game and had no points in 21 minutes in a loss to the Kings on Friday night. In his only meeting against his hometown team, Ross scored four points and had three assists in 27 minutes on Jan. 20.

<table bgcolor="#000000" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td> <table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="100%"> <tbody><tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td class="bilabel" colspan="3"> PROBABLE STARTERS </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#cccccc"> <td class="dwsmodule"> Clippers </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Pos. </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Mavericks </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td class="dwsmodule"> V. Radmanovic </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> F </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Dirk Nowitzki </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td class="dwsmodule"> Elton Brand </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> F </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Josh Howard </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td class="dwsmodule"> Chris Kaman </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> C </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> DeSagana Diop </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td class="dwsmodule"> Quinton Ross </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> G </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Jerry Stackhouse </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td class="dwsmodule"> Sam Cassell </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> G </td> <td class="dwsmodule"> Jason Terry</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We need to win this game

a) Sends a message to the Clippers
b) Gets us closer to catching the Spurs (to 0.5 GB)
c) Improves our record vs West. Conf ---> which could be used as a tie-breaker

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I honestly don't mind Dampier, he is a big strong body and Dallas is having two of it's best ever seasons since he arrived.

It's not like we will be under the salary cap anytime soon, and Cubes has plenty of money, so i like Dampier. Good rebound and a key to our success

·
Registered
37 Posts
It is true that he does get alot of rebounds and most games i am happy with his play, but he is in his 30's and I see plenty of potential in the other 2 guys. The problem is that we can't keep all 3 unless we get rid of Pavel. And I am not sure DJ will want to stay unless he gets more time.

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed, you bring up valid points

I just want centers on the roster, after being a fan through the Raef LaFrentz, Antoine Walker and Shawn Bradley eras, I guess I worry more about our centers

The contract is way too long, Cuban shoulda made some crazy stipulations in it

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes how soon i forget the Bradley years mainly because they were forgettable :cry:

I also like having centers that can get the job done and would keep them all if they will be happy splitting minutes. The centers give us alot of versatility coming off the bench and we get very good production in most games between all 3 of them. I do beleive that the improved center position has defintely keyed the success this season.

·
Registered
37 Posts
DJ seems to be getting better each time he gets to play and could be a huge factor in the playoffs assuming he gets on the playoff roster. The Clippers offensive rebounding especially from Kaman had us in trouble in the first quarter.

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Much like against the Spurs, but replace Kaman with Fabricio Oberto (hey, they both got girly hair ;))

I remember Avery using DJ earlier during the season, he provides the same hustle that Darrell Armstrong has - he gets Dallas pumped and back into the game..don't know why he stopped getting time

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's amazing what happens when you close out on shooters and control the boards. You can have a 4 minute shooting drought and still lead by 9. That kind of play is what keeps you in games come playoff time. I will go out on a limb and say that the MAVS beat the Clips in 5 games come playoff time.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.