Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If we play against Sonics in the playoff, Yao has a fan in the form of Sonics' coach. Maybe the coach would do Rockets a favor, that is, to coach his team badly. :biggrin:

Rich Myhre, Herald Net wrote:</BODYTEXT>
Coach Nate McMillan is a fan of 7-6 Houston center Yao Ming. The third-year player from China averages 18.2 points, 8.3 rebounds, 1.93 blocked shots and shoots .549 from the field (third-best in the NBA), despite playing a modest 30.8 minutes a game.

"Yao has really improved," McMillan said. "Last year you could tell his conditioning was a problem. He also didn't understand post position and how to get there, but now he has all of that. He's in better shape, his post position is better and he now knows how to get deep.

"He also has the best footwork of a 7-foot guy that I've ever seen."
Link= Sonics playoff primer</HEADLINE>

<BODYTEXT>

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
That's bad news actually, it means Nate's been following Yao a lot, and I'm sure he's got tricks up his sleeve to slow Yao down.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yao Mania said:
That's bad news actually, it means Nate's been following Yao a lot, and I'm sure he's got tricks up his sleeve to slow Yao down.
You mean do what Suns do, that is, double and triple Yao most of the time. The quote by a Spurs' fan I find quite interesting. Read below:

Two things stand out in this game IMO.

#1. Houston played excellent team D against the pick and roll for two whole quarters (6 of 20+ shooting each in the 2nd and 3rd quarters by Phoenix). Amare sets the screen, Nash gets blitzed by Yao and Sura, Amare rolls to the basket but TMac rotates from the weakside to stop his roll and contest any pass. Yao is so big that Nash can't find the weakside 3pt shooter with one pass, and the Suns have to use two or three passes to get to the open man. Sura is able to recover to guard Nash, Yao then recovers to guard Amare and Tmac recovers to guard his man. No more open shot.

#2 Yao had only 10pts in 27 min, but his impact was huge. The Suns were so scared of him that they were double teaming and triple teaming him without the ball. The Houston shooters did a well-enough job to make them pay. If Tim can get that kind of attention (and why not?), the Spurs will murder the Suns easily.

<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mr. Roger's Cardigan said:
Agree 100% with the post above, Yao only scored 10 points but was a catalyst for many more.
Everyone only look at Yao stat. but no one appreciate the impact of Yao on court including me. :redface:

Come to think of it, Yao stat would be much better if he had played in the 4th quarter of some blowout games. But, he need rest and JVG did just that. Benched him.

Just 4 more days before I go off. :biggrin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts