Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
7,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2005/03/15/a1c_um_0315.html

"From my point of view, I'm coming back," Diaz said. "I have to get better. I have to work on my point guard skills, dribbling, being a vocal leader, helping make other players better.
Good decision, in my opinion. If he comes back with great PG skills on top of his already incredible explosive scoring ability and athleticism, he could be setting himself up for a high lottery pick in 2006.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
I think he'd be a top 20 pick this season but it's ok with me, he definately has the chance to improve his stock next season.

·
Registered
378 Posts
yeah, smart move

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
I think he can afford to go back (career-wise) because he has that freakish athleticism. Even if he has a down year, he's still an athlete; he doesn't have much to lose. If he improves next year, he should be a lotto pick.

·
Premium Member
12,829 Posts
Hopefully that's true. The Canes should be a very good team next season, and I expect Guillermo to be a lottery pick next season.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
I am sure it will work out better for him, then the previous Miami player who decided to stay. Darius Rice decided to stay and exposed himself as a pansy.

·
Registered
950 Posts
He has a better chance of getting a higher pick THIS season than next. The quality of the draft is likely to be a lot better in 2006 than 2005.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
djtoneblaze said:
He has a better chance of getting a higher pick THIS season than next. The quality of the draft is likely to be a lot better in 2006 than 2005.
If he can develop some PG skills while still maintaining his SG skills than he will definitely be one of the higher rated prospects in 2006.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Go to U.M. with the kid and have played with him before. I'll say this, when I played with Arroyo at 152, I could see why Arroyo was in the league, I don't see that with Diaz.

Lotto pick? Only his fellow boricuas would talk such baba. Wasn't P.J. Ramos supposed to be a lotto pick too?

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I think Diaz could benefit from another year in school. As an athlete and at creating his own shot, he is unparalleled at the college level - better than any PG prospect in this draft. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a high basketball IQ. He really forces things, takes a lot of really difficult shots. (the fact that he still shoots a high % from the floor is only a testement to his talent). His PG skills are developing - he's great at the drive and dish, but this is his only true PG skill and his handle is a bit weak. So, he ought to go back and work on his PG skills and overall basketball IQ...

Unfortunately, Miami already has Anthony Harris, and a very good freshman coming in in Denis Clemente. Diaz probably doesn't get much of a chance to play the point over the next couple of seasons. If he can get himself drafted in the first round, Guillermo Diaz might as well make the jump.

·
Banned
7,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
arenas809 said:
Go to U.M. with the kid and have played with him before. I'll say this, when I played with Arroyo at 152, I could see why Arroyo was in the league, I don't see that with Diaz.

Lotto pick? Only his fellow boricuas would talk such baba. Wasn't P.J. Ramos supposed to be a lotto pick too?
Pat Riley said he has the most potential of any college player, period.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Pan Mengtu said:
Pat Riley said he has the most potential of any college player, period.
Diaz is like Leo Barbosa (maybe more athletic), except with college experience. How many NBA players could match speed with him? Very few.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts