Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Listen, i give credit to ths team and its coaches but cmon, Monia, Webster and Smith just arent ready to play. They are lost out there. I mean I think Monia and Webster can be very good players but jeez Dixon is a nice spark/scorer off the bench but thats where he should stay....coming off the bench to backup.

Nash HAS to make a trade for even a decent 2 guard or we are gonna get destroyed when we pkay guards like Kobe, Arenas, and so on.

Thsi team can be decent and may win a hell of alot mor egames then i gave them a chance to but lets be fair here....its time Nash goes out and gets a us a halfway decent SG so we arent the laughing stock at the position.

Monia & Webster just arent close to being ready at teh moment and I like Dixon off the bench....we need a damn shooter!

With that said....GO BLAZERS! :clap:

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Well, if Portland is further along than expected, perhaps Nash should trade some of the young talent for a player like Paul Pierce. I have no idea whether he's available--Ainge says he isn't trying to trade Pierce, but I keep reading reports that Ainge would like to move Pierce--but if he is, Ainge seems to be interested in young prospects. Players like Webster, Outlaw, Monia, etc, might tempt him.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
If Mo Pete can play some two guard then yea, I'd bring him in. He's a cheap and affordable player to acquire, wouldn't cost us much to get him in Portland. Or Kareem Rush?

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
How old is Paul-29-30? Were gonna get destroyed some nights .If we did get Paul he's not worth the amount of young talent wed have to give up to get him he has 3-4 good years left and hes gonna want alot of money.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Pierce just turned 28.

He's also playing the best basketball of his life. He's just a step behind the McGrady/Bryant/James tier of swingmen. He would vastly upgrade the team, as a near-superstar at a position of greatest need.

Teams rarely get burned when they trade more unproven players for the single best player in the deal.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
The oneal trade was one burned trade.Even though Pierce is an allstar they could turn out to be allstars who are younger.Isin't the team in a rebuilding state.How would Pierce fit in?If we could trade Dixon,Ruben,Kryapha,Pick then i would do the trade.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Zidane said:
The oneal trade was one burned trade.
I wasn't a fan of the O'Neal trade at the time, but you're right that that was a case of the team getting the better player (at the time) being burned.

Of course, this isn't the same. Davis was merely a solid player, an All-Star only due to the extreme weakness of the Eastern front court talent at the time. Pierce is a near superstar, and none of the players Portland might trade was nearly as heralded as Jermaine O'Neal was out of high school.

Even though Pierce is an allstar they could turn out to be allstars who are younger.Isin't the team in a rebuilding state.How would Pierce fit in?
There's always some risk to every trade. I think the chances of any of Portland's young players ever being as good as Pierce is now are small.

Portland is in a rebuilding state, and Pierce would be one (major) piece of the rebuilding. Eventually, Portland needs somebody legitimately good. They can't rely entirely on their young players to provide all the talent necessary to become a contender; that's generally been a losing proposition.

If Portland seems to be better than expected, i.e. not a terrible team, it might be worth acquiring a piece to make them better.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
If we can add an all star level SG we could really be impressive. Maggs, Paul, etc are guys that are on the open market. I would probably be willing to give up Outlaw in a deal including one of them because we have an excessive amount of SFs, plus we actually may be contending for a playoff position.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'm getting so tired of these "Lets trade for Paul Pierce" posts....

Please....put it to bed already.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I agree with RP city.
All stars rarely get traded. The ones who do are generally either saddled with really bad contracts, injured, over the hill or have attitude problems. Teams are not going to trade Michael Redd or Ray Allen for end of the bench guys, subs and picks.
Yes, the team needs a good 2 guard. Let's hope Webster or Dixon turns into one. Or that the team can draft one.
And re: PP, I am suspicious of players who always seem to want to be traded.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I vote to stay the course. I'd like to see the team evaluate the talent that they have, at least till the trade deadline.

This team seems to have chemistry. Bringing in a top tier player could disrupt that developing chemistry. I'm very happy watching these guys develop, and see if we have someone that will grow into the SG role. This team seems to be getting better by the game, give them some time.

If Nash trades for a SG, and it results in crappy chemistry, he'll find the fans carrying pitchforks and and torches, shouting that he's just Whitsitt light.

Go Blazers

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Just think we drop smith and bring in reggie as a player/coach for Martell. Reggie can teach Martell how to be Spike Lee's nemesis. Reggie wouldn't even have to play we can stash him on the IR list and he makes extra money heck we wouldn't even make him travel with us he could still do his video production gig.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Catch, to be fair.....Webster has not looked great so far and we still are without a legit shooter at SG.

If Nash can get us a quality SG sometime soon, and if we are winning when he does....i will give him credit. Make no mistake about it, if Mo Cheeks were coaching thsi team or alot of other NBA coaches, we might have 1 win or none righty now. We have some talent just not alot.

Its all about Nate.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
I actually think it would depend on who they had to trade for Pierce. While he might be playing the best ball of his career (for what, 6-8 games?) it's not like Boston is exactly showing it.

If, by some miracle, it was a Darius + Ruben + a pick for Pierce (it wouldn't be, btw) I'd do it.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I wouldn't let Miles go with the way that he has been playing. Theo that is another story. I love the guy but his age is a factor. He may not be in the same shape that he is currently when our young guys are really ready for primetime.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts