1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Let's Go Streaking!
6,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear some things about Hakeem...

My question is:

What Hakeem do to the Raptors Fans

I hear he insult raptors fan but what i want to know is how?

Just For start Hate him :D

·
Registered
564 Posts
i am mad that he couldn;t play but he kept recieving his checks... he should have told the raptors organization that he opts out of his contract... he only played one year out of a possible 3... Kemp did it and it was pretty noble of him.he understood the business Hakeem just wanted his money

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
we signed him to 3 year/18 million contract. he played for only half the season then UNOFFICIALLY retired while still collecting checks. this situation is similar to alonzo mourning.

both could of done either francaise a favor by opting out of their contracts. both were greedy.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Hakeem signed that contract under false pretenses. He claimed to want to play for a contender and be the final piece for the Raps.

He had a reputation as a character guy and great leader and competitor. He brought none of that to Toronto. His only post move in Toronto was the fade away although he did block some shots on D.

Even AD called out Hakeem after he left. He said he was very surprised by his attitude and lack of leadership. He could have been a great teacher for our guys. But he just took the cash and gave us nothing in return.

He is still on payroll and should have at least been a big man coach or scout for us. Or done something for the franchise he crippled financially.

Not a class act at all.

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
Originally posted by <b>lucky777s</b>!
Hakeem signed that contract under false pretenses. He claimed to want to play for a contender and be the final piece for the Raps.

He had a reputation as a character guy and great leader and competitor. He brought none of that to Toronto. His only post move in Toronto was the fade away although he did block some shots on D.

Even AD called out Hakeem after he left. He said he was very surprised by his attitude and lack of leadership. He could have been a great teacher for our guys. But he just took the cash and gave us nothing in return.

He is still on payroll and should have at least been a big man coach or scout for us. Or done something for the franchise he crippled financially.

Not a class act at all.
well said. it's the perfect example of somebody's reputation (deserving or otherwise) trumping the reality of events. if hakeem were some nba bad boy, like rasheed wallace, or even oakley or rodman, he would have been crucified mercilessly. as it stands, he quietly slipped out the back door, getting paid handsomely for the work he never completed. (to have the gall to sit on the rockets' bench last year while collecting checks from the raptors was apropos to his tenure here.)

it was his "master plan" all along and we were the ultimate suckers for having bought his story. in fact, i remember the radio play-by-play man for the rockets calling him out on the fan 590 while hakeem was still negotiating with us. he said something to the tune of "hakeem loves his money- let's get that straight. he'll follow the coin." i was shocked at the time since he pretty much gave hakeem no credit for wanting to close out his career with a "contender"; he didn't believe olajuwon's story for a second.

it turns out that he was absolutely correct in what he did/didn't believe. we should've listened to him, i guess.

peace

·
Fear The Red
8,910 Posts
Originally posted by <b>macro6</b>!
we signed him to 3 year/18 million contract. he played for only half the season then UNOFFICIALLY retired while still collecting checks. this situation is similar to alonzo mourning.

both could of done either francaise a favor by opting out of their contracts. both were greedy.
How is Alonzo greedy he had a major health problem no one knows if that would come back and it did. It is completly different than Hakeem retireing cause of old age

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>lucky777s</b>!

Not a class act at all.
I will say he did the Raptors as an organization wrong, but as far as crippling the Raptors financially is a bit of a overstatement. What crippled the Raptors was handing out generous amounts of money to Antonio Davis who only used Chicago to up his price and look where he is now and JYD as well

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
The Alonzo situation is a different beast, but it is still about greed.

Most everyone knew that Alonzo would not be the player he had been in the past and that there was a huge possibility that he would not be able to complete even one season.

His contract could not even be insured.

JKidd and Alonzo held the Nets over a barrel. A four year contract for the full MLE with no clauses for health or playing at all is ridiculous. Shame on the Nets for agreeing to that.

Alonzo wanted to play for a contender but still wanted the max money possible. And then he doesn't show any class or respect for the Nets by signing a contract that lets them take all the risk and guarantees him 20 mill.

Plus he should have shown some loyalty to Miami who had paid him handsomely and got zero production for several years now. Hakeem didn't owe the Rockets that kind of loyalty. He earned his money there.

When you take all that into consideration Alonzo is really no better than Hakeem, except for the fact that he gave his full effort to the Nets and would play now if he physically could.

The greed and sense of entitlement was the same in both cases.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts