Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bulls would be lucky to get this kid in the draft. After a couple of years of eating where Eddy Curry eats at, he should be a top small forward in the league. His spin move in the lane and dunk last night against Mizzou was sick. It looked like he stuck his arm- up to the elbow- in the rim on that dunk, a la Vince Carter in the dunk contest. He should go somewhere in the top 10 of the draft.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Bulls42</b>!
The Bulls would be lucky to get this kid in the draft. After a couple of years of eating where Eddy Curry eats at, he should be a top small forward in the league. His spin move in the lane and dunk last night against Mizzou was sick. It looked like he stuck his arm- up to the elbow- in the rim on that dunk, a la Vince Carter in the dunk contest. He should go somewhere in the top 10 of the draft.
Look in the draft thread for our thoughts on him. he made a splash with everyone yesterday but me I guess

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
He probably can be a good player,but i do agree with rlucas he's not the best fit.we do need a better shooter.I like the guy but if no Deng or Emeka I'd prefer to trade down and get Drejer/Childers/Iguodala.........

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Hakim Warrick is not what this team, needs; he has no outside shot and reminds me alot of Darius Miles(except Miles has better handles).

·
The Snake
6,527 Posts
I disagree. I think Crawford is gonna be the pure shooter we're looking for at the 2 and that we're gonna need a get to the rim kinda guy at the 3. I think Warrick is a good fit especially if we pair him with Crawford/JYD/Curry. Each one of those guys does different things well. Crawford can shoot, Warrick can get to the hole, JYD is a rebounder/defender, and Curry is a post scorer. I just hope Warrick doesn't need to DEVELOP.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Warrick won't always get that clear path to the rim, so he has to develop an outside shot which he doesn't have. He is primarily a dunker and we have alot of those guys on this team.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Re: Re: Hakim Warrick

Originally posted by <b>rlucas4257</b>!

Look in the draft thread for our thoughts on him. he made a splash with everyone yesterday but me I guess
I don't like him either... so don't feel left out.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
NBA Comparison: <b><u>Marcus Camby</b></u>

Strengths: An unbelievable athlete who can jump out of the gym with the best of them. A highlight real waiting to happen. His incredibly long arms and intensity make him a ferocious offensive and defensive rebounder. Gets off the floor almost instantaneously. Possesses a nice turnaround jumper and decent ball handling skills for a player his size. Has the potential and desire to not only become an offensive force, but a shut down defender as well. A very exciting player to watch with huge potential.

Weaknesses: Everything he does is based on his superior athletic ability. Despite his ball handling skills, Hakim is still very raw. His points usually come from fastbreaks, tip-ins, and putbacks. He tries to dunk everything on the offensive end and block everything on the defensive side. Perimeter game is suspect, despite good form on his outside shot. MUST put on muscle if he has any plans of ever playing pro ball, he is very thin and is easily out-muscled. Free throw shooting and interior defense are also concerns.

Notes: Hakim has the potential to become a very good player, but must learn to rely on more than his other worldly athletic ability. If he learns to collect himself and show some patience, his offense will improve dramatically. It seems as though Coach Boeheim is going to use Hakim on the interior in his early years at SU and then slowly bring him out to the perimeter as his shot and ball handling mature....Nicknamed "Skinny" by his friends due to his extremely slender frame. Upside is definitely there.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Hakim Warrick

Originally posted by <b>RetroDreams</b>!

I don't like him either... so don't feel left out.
thanks retro, it was getting lonely. I think he might be a nice player, just not for the Bulls

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
he reminds me of daruis miles as well. Athletic, but thats about it. He looks like he has a better work ethic than Miles and could develop the rest of his game, but right now he doesnt have it

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
I'm not a huge fan either. The Miles comparison seems apt as far as skill sets go. However I will say that Warrick seems to be a smarter player than Darius. He relies mostly on athleticism but he seems to know where to be on the court and is craftier around the basket on both ends.

He doesn't really solve any of the Bulls' problems though. Not sure he can defend the perimeter and haven't seen any semblance of a jump shot from him.

Man I hope we have a shot at Deng.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Hakim Warrick

Originally posted by <b>rlucas4257</b>!

thanks retro, it was getting lonely. I think he might be a nice player, just not for the Bulls
I'm less of a fan of Warrick than of Miles as far as pro potential. Darius has a great handle, which Warrick doesn't have. Warrick is shorter and equally as skinny, so without that handle he'll be without skills at the 3 with not nearly the size or bulk he needs for the 4. A tweener bound to fail in the pros, I say.

But I'll have to keep an eye on his shot. Maybe it has improved since last year. He's a great college player, but I fear that's it.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
That's if Deng comes out(he's a freshman). A guy who the Bulls should look at is Ivan Chiriev. 7'1", 235. He can play either SG of SF and even some point. He is being compared to Dirk Nowitski except he has point guard handles. Defintely a guy the Bulls should look at.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Funny

All the knocks against Warrick sound familiar. They are the same ones I heard against Vince Carter when he was coming out.
Players do get better. He isn't Ronnie Fields-raw.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
I've never seen why people raved about Warrick in the lottery. He has Chris Kaman's game in a 6'8", 205-pound body. He's very athletic and has a nice spin move, but what else does he have? That's pretty much it. And that's what I've been saying since last year. I have no clue why people were/are hyping him for the lottery.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Warrick brings everything Chandler does to the table (albeit at the SF position), and people rave about Chandler.

I don't get it.

Warrick has decent handles, but plays a lot in the post due to the Syracuse's lack of size and abundance of guards.

He's an excellent shot blocker (see championship-winning block last year).

He has a good form on his jumpshot, and he's added about 5 feet to his range since last year.

He has 2 years in a college system, so he'll be NBA ready by the draft. All that is just gravy though, as he has the three things the Bulls really need at the 3. He's a legit size (6'8"/6'9"),a very good defender and an excellent rebounder.

Warrick is being severly underrated in this thread. He will be, without a doubt, one of the top 2 or 3 players in his draft year. He may not be picked top-3 (see Pierce, Dirk, Carter...), but when his career is over, people will scratch thier heads wondering why he wasn't picked soon.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jim, that's exactly how I see it

I KNEW Carter was going to be a star from watching him in college, despite the lack of polish on his outside shot back then.
A lot of people are looking at specific skills in college players that can be approved upon, such as a long-range jumper, and saying "if he doesn't have it now he will never have it." Looking at what he does have right now is pretty impressive, and seeing that if he improves his outside shot he can be great. It's not like these lottery picks from Europe are the complete package when they are drafted.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Jim Ian</b>!
Warrick brings everything Chandler does to the table (albeit at the SF position), and people rave about Chandler.

I don't get it.

Warrick has decent handles, but plays a lot in the post due to the Syracuse's lack of size and abundance of guards.

He's an excellent shot blocker (see championship-winning block last year).

He has a good form on his jumpshot, and he's added about 5 feet to his range since last year.

He has 2 years in a college system, so he'll be NBA ready by the draft. All that is just gravy though, as he has the three things the Bulls really need at the 3. He's a legit size (6'8"/6'9"),a very good defender and an excellent rebounder.

Warrick is being severly underrated in this thread. He will be, without a doubt, one of the top 2 or 3 players in his draft year. He may not be picked top-3 (see Pierce, Dirk, Carter...), but when his career is over, people will scratch thier heads wondering why he wasn't picked soon.
Totally disagree about Warrick's handle. It is NOT up to par for NBA 3's. How many good 3's have a handle anywhere comperable to Warricks? And he still has no range on his shot.

Jim, I have doubts about Chandler's skills even though he's a 4/5. Warrick has to play the 3 in the NBA unless he gains at least 30-35 lbs of muscle, and that kind of bulk takes years to gain. I think he's stuck at the 3.

By the way, we already have a 3 who does those three things you describe. His name is JYD, and he has legit size (6'9"), is a good defender -- he can absolutely defend 3's, and he rebounds very well. What's the problem? He doesn't have the offensive skills to be a 3. And the skinny JYD still has 20 lbs. on stick man Warrick.

Tell me I'm wrong Jim!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JYD can't guard the 3

I was at the Miami game and Lamar Odom consistently pulled him outside, and then ran by him and took the ball straight to the rim. It was brutal. It happened like 6 times in that second half when Miami put 60 on us. Lamar Odom is the KIND of 3 we need (too injury prone though)- an inside and outside player. Or maybe he just plays that well against us.

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
or maybe Lamar is just an incredibly versatile player.

Taller than a lot of 4s and quicker than most true 3s, with the court vision of a point guard and shooting range of a SG to boot. Now that his affairs seem to be in order he's becoming the player people thought he would be when he was a rookie.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts