Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Piker
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A journey indeed, but at this point, which A-10 teams do you see building a Selection Sunday at large resume in the OOC?
It will depend on who finishes strong and only loses about 3 to 4 games in conference play. If 4 teams go into Brooklyn with about 7 or 8 losses and 20 some wins they should be on the radar for a bid. Like I said, a season is a journey.

Registered
You鈥檙e an optimist AA. We are missing big chances in the OOC, and I don鈥檛 see the selection committee giving the A-10 any love on Selection Sunday. We are losing to P-5 teams that are not expected to be powers in their conferences.

Piker
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You鈥檙e an optimist AA. We are missing big chances in the OOC, and I don鈥檛 see the selection committee giving the A-10 any love on Selection Sunday. We are losing to P-5 teams that are not expected to be powers in their conferences.
I am an optimist but I have also witnessed VCU getting in without big OOC wins. They racked up a good record in conference and got a bid. If 3 or 4 teams rise to the top and have great records they can be in bubble talk. It is a journey that other conferences go thru. The OOC has not gone well for top A10 teams but they are not losing Q4 games.

Registered
I am an optimist but I have also witnessed VCU getting in without big OOC wins. They racked up a good record in conference and got a bid. If 3 or 4 teams rise to the top and have great records they can be in bubble talk. It is a journey that other conferences go thru. The OOC has not gone well for top A10 teams but they are not losing Q4 games.
You make a good point about not losing Q4 games. Do you recall the years that VCU got an at large without big OOC wins, whether some of the other A-10 teams had big OOC wins? What worries me about this year鈥檚 OOC is that it is going to lessen the strength of the A-10 overall, thus cheapening the in-conference Ws.

Piker
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You make a good point about not losing Q4 games. Do you recall the years that VCU got an at large without big OOC wins, whether some of the other A-10 teams had big OOC wins? What worries me about this year鈥檚 OOC is that it is going to lessen the strength of the A-10 overall, thus cheapening the in-conference Ws.
I would have to go back and look. One that comes to mind is when Wade was the coach. They were something like 4-4 to begin the season and then went on a big run in conference play. No big wins in OOC but no big losses. They got an at-large bid that season. It has happened before. If a team or teams have gaudy records with over 21 wins they get a look. OOC is important so don't get me wrong but if a team does not lose any head scratcher Q4 games and has a good record they have a shot. Early in the season is not a time to yell that the sky is falling because the bubble changes throughout the year.

Piker
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Oh and I do have some more to add to the above post. Wade was a master of OOC scheduling so he left room for some under the radar good wins that season (ex..UD still has that opportunity with BYU and Wyoming among others). VCU did not schedule well this year so they need to win all of their cupcakes of which there are many. I could even use VCU's final four year as an example of no big wins and getting a shot on Selection Sunday. That team had over 20 wins and got in on a weak bubble. OOC is important but it is not the end all and be all. Many P5 schools shit the bed in OOC but they get in due to their conference. We do not have the luxury of the bias afforded many programs. I do think that if 3 or 4 A10 schools bring a 10-3ish record out of OOC and win big in conference there still can be a shot at 3 bids depending on what happens in Brooklyn. Heck, the Wade/VCU year that I mentioned above set up for 4 bids but if I remember that is the year the NCAA screwed Bona. Got 3 bids and should have been 4.

Registered
All this hand-wringing seems to me a worthless exercise. The conference is essentially in the same place in the power rankings, and therefore ultimately in the NET, that it has been for several years; 10th. It it would be nice to be higher, but that hasn't been the case for some time. If three teams are able to separate themselves in conference play, or if we get a finals upset, three bids are in play. I think two is a more likely result, and even one is a possibility, though I think unlikely.

Fretting about how many wins we "need" on any given night seems rather pointless. It certainly has no impact on the number of wins we actually get as we have seen all too clearly.

Piker
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All this hand-wringing seems to me a worthless exercise. The conference is essentially in the same place in the power rankings, and therefore ultimately in the NET, that it has been for several years; 10th. It it would be nice to be higher, but that hasn't been the case for some time. If three teams are able to separate themselves in conference play, or if we get a finals upset, three bids are in play. I think two is a more likely result, and even one is a possibility, though I think unlikely.

Fretting about how many wins we "need" on any given night seems rather pointless. It certainly has no impact on the number of wins we actually get as we have seen all too clearly.
The hand wringing is also coming from a fan of the team in the best position right now. Ha!

Registered
I would have to go back and look. One that comes to mind is when Wade was the coach. They were something like 4-4 to begin the season and then went on a big run in conference play. No big wins in OOC but no big losses. They got an at-large bid that season. It has happened before. If a team or teams have gaudy records with over 21 wins they get a look. OOC is important so don't get me wrong but if a team does not lose any head scratcher Q4 games and has a good record they have a shot. Early in the season is not a time to yell that the sky is falling because the bubble changes throughout the year.
I don鈥檛 mean to say that the sky is falling, but I鈥檓 not happy at all with the OOC so far. If we sweep today, it would be a step towards improvement.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts