·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Assuming this is true, the Jazz are doing a pretty nice rebuilding job on the fly.

They really have no bad contracts especially after Ostertag comes off the books in 2 years.

AK, Harpring, Stevenson, Spanish PG, Borchard, Jarron Collins and $20-25M in cap space after Malone and Stockton retire is not so bad.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems like they still might like to keep Marshall as a backup 4. If I were the SLC GM, my multi-year offer becomes a 1 or 2 year offer to preserve the cap space in the future years.

Or they might pack his bags for him....

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Kinda peculiar, I had no idea Utah was interested in Harpring. I guess I blindly assumed Marshall was their target all along. Eh.

Assuming the Bulls and Jazz offered the same amount of money, its interesting that he may have picked the Jazz. After one more year of decent play (w/ Malone and Stockton on board), the Jazz are looking at a L-O-N-G time of rebuilding. Harping will be with the likes of Stevenson, Kirilenko, Borchardt, Collins... not much to shake a stick at.

But we don't know the full details just yet... but it is interesting and surprising at the same time.

VD

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by <b>Vin Diesel</b>!
Harping will be with the likes of Stevenson, Kirilenko, Borchardt, Collins... not much to shake a stick at.
Add Lopez & Ostertag (?) to the mix next year and that's a much better base of talent than our carry overs to 88-89 - Tony Kukoc. Ron Harper, Corey Benjamin, Dickey Simpkins, Randy Brown, & Jeff Sanders.

They may have better luck with their cap space than we did a few years back, too.

p.s. And they could still add Marshall if they want or could S&T him to get some more talent (Fizer?).

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>johnston797</b>!

Add Lopez & Ostertag (?) to the mix next year and that's a much better base of talent than our carry overs to 88-89 - Tony Kukoc. Ron Harper, Corey Benjamin, Dickey Simpkins, Randy Brown, & Jeff Sanders.

They may have better luck with their cap space than we did a few years back, too.

p.s. And they could still add Marshall if they want or could S&T him to get some more talent (Fizer?).
Sorry dude. But that team (w/ Lopez and Ostertag) sounds pretty brutal if you ask me. Yes they may be a notch higher than the squard paraded out in '98-99, but isn't saying a whole lot. We tanked that season to get a high pick, and eventually got the #1 overall.

The greatness of Malone and Stockton will not fully be realized until they're gone. Even on the downside of their careers, they kept Utah competitive. I expect a trip to the lottery as soon as they're out of Utah.

VD

·
Registered
62 Posts
Jazz fans seem confident Harpring has been signed. It has been reported that Marshall told the Jazz he'd go elsewhere for less money if they did not increase their offer. Apparently, they took him at his word and saved a few dollars by using their exception money on Harpring.

Sounds like Marshall will soon join the Bulls for the mid-level exception.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would not book Marshall in Chicago so soon. He could decide to go play for a team like the Lakers for one year even at the minimum. He is good enough that some contender might make a Keon Clark-type offer as well.

I am starting to expect Krause to hold on to his money. It might be a good move to sign 2 vets to 1 year each at $2M a pop. Maybe guys like Kendal Gill, Gary Trent and Bryon Russell. These guys would mostly serve as insurance and would be really easy to move at the trade deadline as ending contracts are always valued to even out the money in a trade.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Does anyone see a distinct pattern continuing in Utah? Right now the Jazz have nine players under contract.

Let's see, there's Amaechi, Cheaney, Collins, Malone, and Stevenson.

Then there's Borchardt, Kirilenko, Ostertag, and Stockton.

Just for the heck of it, lets add Matt Harpring to that second group.

Are we dealing with more than coincidences in Salt Lake City?

I suspect when all is said and done, Donyell may feel much more at home in Chicago than Utah, that is, if he decides to accept the Bulls offer.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>truebluefan</b>!
anyone see this?

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,405024383,00.html

"He want to go to a team where he'll fit in, he can contribute,and its a team that is going forward-not rebuilding," Manley said.

Now that brings us to an interesting question. Are we "rebuilding?" or are we "going forward?" this should bring up some interesting comments!
Interesting.

I would classify the Bulls as 'rebuilding' b/c they are 2-3 years from fielding a playoff team.

But that's just 'agent' talk, and we all know they say a lot of BS at times. Plus, I may be wrong but... I think the Bulls mgmt. and Manley have a good relationship.

VD

·
Registered
936 Posts
Donyell is tough and i would think he would have something to prove should he sign with us. A real plus for the bulls. And add to the fact that he wont be in the west! I hope we get him
I'm with you, trueblue. Marshall's versatility will mean alot to the Bulls. Now I'm wondering what kind of impact his arrival might have on some of the players.

I'd expect him to start at SF. That moves Rose to SG. You could then round out the starting five with Williams, Chandler and Curry.

The second unit would currently be comprised of Crawford, Hassell, Robinson, Fizer and Blount.

And that would leave players like Mason, Hoiberg, Baxter and Bags to rotate between the active roster and the IR.

With Rose moving to SG, that would probably take minutes from Crawford, relegating him almost exclusively to the PG position. I don't think that's going to sit very well with Jamal.

Marshall also has the ability to slide over to the PF position where he's Fizer's equal offensively and is a much stronger rebounder. Does that mean that Fizer will actually have to compete with ERob for minutes, assuming Eddie would step in at SF while Donyell operates at PF?

Adding Marshall creates all kinds of competitive scenarios on the roster. It also give Rose that experienced vet he's been asking for. I see nothing but upside for the team if they sign Donyell. At the same time, I also see a few of our youngsters caving in to the pressure of having to compete with others for PT.

·
Registered
936 Posts
anyone see this?

"He want to go to a team where he'll fit in, he can contribute,and its a team that is going forward-not rebuilding," Manley said.

Now that brings us to an interesting question. Are we "rebuilding?" or are we "going forward?" this should bring up some interesting comments!
How about this exerpt from the Insider:

The Bulls are the latest team to show interest in Marshall. Marshall flew to Chicago on Tuesday to work out for the Bulls. His agent said the tour "was very appealing. Donyell likes their organization and the direction they are headed," Manley said. He would not reveal whether a contract offer had been made, but the Bulls are over the salary cap and cannot offer Marshall more than the $4.5 million exception.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DickieHurtz</b>!

I'm with you, trueblue. Marshall's versatility will mean alot to the Bulls. Now I'm wondering what kind of impact his arrival might have on some of the players.

I'd expect him to start at SF. That moves Rose to SG. You could then round out the starting five with Williams, Chandler and Curry.

The second unit would currently be comprised of Crawford, Hassell, Robinson, Fizer and Blount.

And that would leave players like Mason, Hoiberg, Baxter and Bags to rotate between the active roster and the IR.

With Rose moving to SG, that would probably take minutes from Crawford, relegating him almost exclusively to the PG position. I don't think that's going to sit very well with Jamal.

Marshall also has the ability to slide over to the PF position where he's Fizer's equal offensively and is a much stronger rebounder. Does that mean that Fizer will actually have to compete with ERob for minutes, assuming Eddie would step in at SF while Donyell operates at PF?

Adding Marshall creates all kinds of competitive scenarios on the roster. It also give Rose that experienced vet he's been asking for. I see nothing but upside for the team if they sign Donyell. At the same time, I also see a few of our youngsters caving in to the pressure of having to compete with others for PT.
That second team you mentioned is almost as good as some of our first teams have been the last three plus years.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
anyone see this?

Both.

·
Registered
510 Posts
While I wanted Harpring for the D and rebounding, Marshall is the better player, maybe not as good a fit and I do wonder outside of Hassell and Chandler where our D is going to come from, but Marshall can play and he is a vet and I do hope we get him.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts