Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
The world is changing....

Could argue that a lot of schools not carrying esports teams are behind the ball. There is a LOT of money to be made in streaming and playing professionally. Used to be on the UVM club team 😂

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Oh my word. Who knew that playing a video game would constitute a college sport.

The team is looking for team managers, student coaches, graphic designers, social media managers and announcers.

·
Gr8t Dane
712 Posts
Didn’t SBU’s club team win or go to the national tournament five-or-so years ago?
I remember being at a SBU/UA game 4 or 5 years ago where some of the kids in the student section were carrying signs that read: STONYBROOK hides in the bushes in Fortnight" or something like that. Makes me laugh that I had no idea what Fortnight was at that time. Oh starting to get older....

·
The People's Champ
725 Posts
the money that ESports is generating and continues on an upward trajectory, is astonishing really. No one ever thought it would amount to this... but it's true, we have kids streaming on twitch and YouTube making millions, so I think schools are behind the 8ball here... its a huge money maker, and the NCAA wants a piece of that sooner than its too late

·
Registered
187 Posts
Is esport sponsored by the NCAA? If it is, I don’t know why a kid would want to join their schools team. They could make way more than their tuition by streaming online.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Im involved with a junior college. Our AD refuses to pay attention as he doesn't view esports as sports. He is wayyyy behind the curve. Many 2 year schools are going this way and esports are sponsored by the njcaa

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Who knew that those years that I was dominating my peers in pong and then asteroids i was on the brink of success. If I only continued to harness my extraordinary skills I could have been a legend. All kidding aside this will be huge in a few years. I have to check to see if esports is public.

·
Comrade Fox
1,900 Posts
Friend of mine plays for Thomas College's esports teams, cool to see it come to some other nearby sports. Surprised more colleges don't do this, as a sport it's relatively cheap (you really just need stuff that most colleges already have), and there's such financial potential in it

·
The People's Champ
725 Posts
ESPO, GAMR, for ETFs, personally for me, also RAZR, super small company now that went public in late 2018, but they already make great gaming computers, peripheral gaming accessories and hardware. super cheap stock that could easily explode in the next 5 years... barring of course another unforeseen event like the 'rona, world war, etc...

·
Premium Member
33,162 Posts
Hartford is smart.

·
6,054 Posts
I remember being at a SBU/UA game 4 or 5 years ago where some of the kids in the student section were carrying signs that read: STONYBROOK hides in the bushes in Fortnight" or something like that. Makes me laugh that I had no idea what Fortnight was at that time. Oh starting to get older....
I'll be honest, I didn't know what Fortnite was until Nolan Gerrity started dancing on the sidelines during the Virginia game. Which of course leads to...

All us X-ennials are just accepting it, like every mid-30's before us.

·
Comrade Fox
1,900 Posts
I'll be honest, I didn't know what Fortnite was until Nolan Gerrity started dancing on the sidelines during the Virginia game. Which of course leads to...

All us X-ennials are just accepting it, like every mid-30's before us.
And because the world is weird, Fortnite now is sort of an afterthought. It still makes a lotta money, but it's not the cultural behemoth it was in 2017

·
The People's Champ
725 Posts
COD: Warzone currently is the leader in Battle Royal/Arena type Online Multiplayer. it's good COD made a push for BR type games as it is the future of multiplayer

·
Registered
363 Posts
COD: Warzone currently is the leader in Battle Royal/Arena type Online Multiplayer. it's good COD made a push for BR type games as it is the future of multiplayer
I think the biggest issue developers/publishers have is that people lose interest in games pretty quickly. Unless they spend lots of time and money to constantly innovate their product, a new game will usurp the throne a few years down the road.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Is this the COD version that has given us the video game Ronald Reagan memes? I ask to show that I very much am still "with it" folks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts