Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
ccd494 said:
Didn't see a thread... here's a preview of the Bridgeport regional, has a bit on the Rizzotti-Staley matchup in the first round:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/ncaatourney06/columns/story?columnist=lieberman_nancy&id=2369334

wow. i feel really stupid. i was a HUGE women's hoops fan in the staley/rizzotti/lobo period (94-well, now but my obsession ended in 97ish, as did my desire to be 6'4" like lobo) and i didn't even notice this matchup...

probably partially because i've been involved in MM and BU Hockey...

definitely watching the game though

good luck to the hawks, do the AE proud :)

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Hawks up 25-24 at the half!! And they shoulda/coulda/woulda been up by even more because they've missed a lot of open, inside looks. But they are without a doubt competing defensively with Temple and doing an excellent job rebounding!

I've been yelling "ARRGGHHHH" at all the misses by the Hawks. Poor lsbal, witnessing in person must be pulling his hair out!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Whoo-hoo! Congrats Hartford!!

Of course, the so-called "analysts" for the women's tourney are even worse than the men's tourney. All they do is talk about how this is a "huge" step forward for the Hartford program. Granted, the win is great, but I think it overstates the case to call it a huge step forward.

I also love how none of the analysts mentioned that: (a) the AE was a top 10 conference this year, and (b) Hartford was the SECOND AE program to beat Temple this year.

So, hopefully, this win is a "huge" step forward for the pundits around the country, who will now give Hartford and the AE a little more respect in the future - in the form of a higher seed for the conference champion, when they finish the season ranked in the top 30 in RPI, and an at-large bid for a team like SBU, which had a comparable RPI and a 20 win season (SBU's poor performance in the WNIT notwithstanding).

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To be fair, the AEast has been a top 10 conference before, and gotten at large bids, and was still only 1-15 in the NCAAs. But women's hoop is changing and getting more competitive top to bottom (not as the men's, but its better than 10 years ago), so I think that this was a pretty important win.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow what a game played by Hartford. This wasn't a case of the "underdog" getting hot and upsetting the higher seed either, Hartford looked BETTER than Temple. I kind of agree with how little information the announcers seemed to know about America East, but hey it was sure nice listening to them talk about us! Hartford is really lucky to have a coach in Rizotti (sp?) that wants to stay there. They seemed to have reached the point where Maine was back in the late nineties, if by some chance they don't win America East next year and they have a solid record the at-large birth is almost a guarantee. That happened to Maine after they beat Stanford then lost to Vermont the year after, Maine got the higher seed between the two also! Hartford is only going to get better because they have STABILITY in the program, that team is going to be a monster in the years to come.

On another note, not to throw McInerney under the bus because she looks like a great coach who will get Maine back near the top, but what about Stacey Dales-Schuman as a coach? She knows her ball and may even have the name recognition of Rizotti. Wouldn't mind watching her coach on the sideline either.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
ccd494 said:
To be fair, the AEast has been a top 10 conference before, and gotten at large bids, and was still only 1-15 in the NCAAs. But women's hoop is changing and getting more competitive top to bottom (not as the men's, but its better than 10 years ago), so I think that this was a pretty important win.
I admit I'm not an expert on the history of AE women's b-ball, though I know Maine, at one time, was as good, if not better, than Hartford currently is. As for the AE's record in the tourney, what was the AE team seeded in those games? I'm guessing the team was a 15 or 16 for most of those, which means the AE's record isn't really all that indicative of how good the league was. As good as I think Hartford is this year, I don't think they'd have won today's game if they were a 15 or 16 seed, playing against a Duke or Tennessee.

It's just too bad SBU didn't show up for their WNIT game, as a win in the WNIT, too, would've made the "statement" that much stronger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Urban I remember reading an article that stated Maine was placed as the 16 seed against Connecticut because it worked out geographically, when in fact Maine was much better than a 16 seed that year. I believe that was the same year they beat a top 15 team from Alabama(?) at Orono. That was Maine's first NCAA game if I remember correctly. I'm not sure about all 15 losses, but that first NCAA game for Maine only lost by 30 to an undefeated UConn team 105-75, and the rest of their games were competitive. The year Maine beat Stanford they took it to the 2 seed Old Dominion when the game was played on ODU's homecourt, they lost by 2 according the the AE website, not too shabby. Luckily Hartford doesn't have to go through that. The year after Maine lost by 5 or so to a tough North Carolina team. Back in the "glory" days Maine was a heck of a team, just couldn't get over that hump. I still wonder where Maine would be today if Palombo hadn't have left for Michigan State. They'd certainly be in better standings then they are right now....

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Urban Barrister said:
It's just too bad SBU didn't show up for their WNIT game, as a win in the WNIT, too, would've made the "statement" that much stronger.
Agree 100%. I really expected Stony Brook to be much more competitive in the WNIT. Especially since they were playing Lawn Guyland rival Hofstra! It really was time to make a statement to validate the league's RPI. Much like the CAA men's teams are doing in the NCAA and NIT. Got to give credit where credit is due!!

And thanks to Hartford for making such a great statement today! You really did look like the better team today! Terrific team defense on Dupree!! Other than a couple minutes in both halves where it looked like they completely wonked out (or whatever those Mountain Dew commercials said! :laugh: :laugh: :clown: ), the Hawks really executed well. The points in the paint were significantly higher for Hartford.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.